Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

I am having a problems with INTERNET EXPLORER, how do you reinstall

I am having a problems with INTERNET EXPLORER, how do you reinstall program, to correct problem with program. (*XP professional with service pack 3 installed.)
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.

Ben :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you.

Ben :

Let me know when you're ready to start this chat.

JACUSTOMER-ourd1cx0- :

Ready

Ben :

Thanks - can you explain the exact problem internet explorer is giving you?

JACUSTOMER-ourd1cx0- :

After going back to version 7, I can not get it to run properly.

Ben :

I see, will it let you open internet explorer, but not go to any web pages?

JACUSTOMER-ourd1cx0- :

It will open but will close before I can do anything.

Ben :

Lets try this: Press the Windows Start button > Run

Ben :

Then type inetcpl.cpl

Ben :

And press ok

Ben :

Does that bring up a internet options window?

JACUSTOMER-ourd1cx0- :

yes

Ben :

Great - click the Advanced tab > then click the reset button > press it again

Ben :

Let it reset Internet Explorer, and then after it's done, exit those windows, and try to open Internet Explorer normally and see if it will come up.

JACUSTOMER-ourd1cx0- :

OK

JACUSTOMER-ourd1cx0- :

It comes up with the do you want to make it default. Presently the foxfire is default.

Ben :

I see, you can do that if you would like, however, I use Firefox as my default browser, it's much better than IE

Ben :

It looks like it just needed to be reset because some settings were corrupted, that happens sometimes

Ben :

In fact, you can now probably upgrade by to IE8 with no issues

JACUSTOMER-ourd1cx0- :

OK The reason I need the internet explorer is because I have a program that needs that browser.

Ben :

I got you, some websites will only open in IE

Ben :

I've got both on my computer just in case too

Ben :

That's a good thing to do

JACUSTOMER-ourd1cx0- :

I will upgrade back to 8 but if I still have problems how can I complete the troubleshooting process?

Ben :

I hope I have provided some helpful information, if so, please press Accept.

You can return to this page at any time to continue with me if you have further questions on this, just add it to your favorites/bookmarks, thank you.

Ben :

Or if any further issues come up, I'll help as much as you need.

JACUSTOMER-ourd1cx0- :

OK thanks.

Ben :

You're very welcome!

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have now completed the reset as requested and also updated to vers. 8 and updates.
This was the original problem causing the problem in the first place. I get a message in the internet explorer which says:
"nternet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
If you click the button "close" in will close. But if you don't use the buttons you can go ahead and use the internet.

How do I get to stop the message above?
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
To rule out program/service conflicts, lets try this:

Click the Windows Start button > Run > Type msconfig and press enter > Click the Boot.ini tab > Check the /SAFEBOOT box > Select the NETWORK option > Press ok and restart when prompted

Now log back in and try IE8, please let me know the results of that.
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok i restarted in safe mode and tried the internet explorer and that message didn"t show up. Now what?
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Do you have an antivirus program you use on the computer like Norton McAfee, or other (please specify)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I use McAfee
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
McAfee is not a bad antivirus, but in about 8 of 10 of these cases, it's to blame for service/program conflicts with Internet Explorer.

Did you buy the program by downloading it online, or did you get it from a local store?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I been purchasing online for a number of years. Downloading online.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Alright - I'd like to have you temporarily remove it, so we can see if that is causing this issue.

Download and install the McAfee Removal Tool, click here: http://tinyurl.com/mzk9z

Use that to uninstall McAfee, then:

Click the Windows Start button > Run > Type msconfig and press enter > Click the Boot.ini tab > UNcheck the /SAFEBOOT box > Select the NETWORK option > Press ok and restart when prompted, this will get you back into normal mode.

Then try Internet Explorer 8

(Note: Temporarily going without an antivirus for this session will not harm your computer, it's only if you go days without when when you're at risk).

I'll be here, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK I done that. McAfee is removed. I still have the "Internet Explorer" message as before. If I leave it alone I can still work on this browser. But what next?
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Ok -

This next part is a bit tedious, but it's the only way we can root out this conflict.

To rule out program/service conflicts, lets try this: Click the Windows Start button > Run > Type msconfig and press enter > Click Selective Startup at the bottom > UNcheck Load System Services and Load Startup Items

Press ok and restart when prompted

Once back in:

Go back to msconfig > Click the services tab > Check roughly half of the unchecked boxes > Click ok and restart

Repeat these steps until you find the box that when checked causes the issue, then uncheck it. If you don't find any problems, continue these steps on the startup tab.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tried all this:

Press ok and restart when prompted

Once back in:

I could not determine any difference. Also I must stop for tonight. When can I be get back with you?
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Add this page to your favorites or bookmark so you can return to this page at any time.

Thanks,
Ben
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Click the Windows Start button > Control Panel > On the left, IF you see switch to classic view, click it > Choose User Accounts on the right > Select create a new account > Make a Computer Administrator account

Log off your current account and try to log in with this account and see if IE8 still acts up. I'd like to rule out that it is your Windows User profile that has become corrupted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have the same problem on the other account. If it is any help I noticed that this error if the window is closed the program will try to restore web address by adding the address to the original address.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have the same problem on the other account.
If it is any help I noticed that this error if the window is closed the program will try to restore web address by adding the address to the original address and it then is a progressive loop.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
I see, that is strange - I suggest going ahead and reinstalling McAfee at this point:

Login to your account online, click here: http://tinyurl.com/3v8og5r

Once you log in, on the left click my products. There you should see a list of your McAfee subscriptions, use the download button for you to redownload your McAfee product. Let me know once you've done that.

You can also delete the second test account you made from your user accounts panel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK what is next?
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Press the Windows Start button > Run > Type cmd and press ok > Type chkdsk /f /r (with a space between each) > Press enter > It will ask if you want chkdsk at next reboot, type y and enter > Restart your computer

It will then check your hard drive for disk errors, let me know how that turns out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Being the process took so long. I didn't see any message at end of process. It rebooted itself.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Ok good, now if you log in normally, and startup IE, does it still give issues?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It started up normally and first message asked I want to make default browser> No. > then the message reappears. If I leave it alone and work with IE everything is OK. If I would actuate the same problem will come back.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
I see - this is really a bizarre issue -

The only other thing that you might try is a Windows Update, but outside of reinstalling Windows there may not be a fix for that...I'm sorry, but we ruled out if it was another program conflict, which it isn't, a corrupt account, or disk errors, if all are negative it may be best just to backup important files, then do a system recovery, which will not take to long, it's just updating and reinstalling the programs afterwards that's a pain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well we will stop for today. Thanks Ben. It is a real pain to reinstall everything afterward.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Yes I'm sorry - I know it's a pain, there just may not be a fix outside of that...let me know if you have any other questions on this John I'm here all week.

Thanks,
Bernie
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK