Barun
Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I cannot move my cursor by touching my touchpad on my Toshiba

Customer Question

I cannot move my cursor by touching my touchpad on my Toshiba laptop. I don't know how to fix this issue, I think I pressed the F9 key on accident and can no longer use the touchpad.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 5 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

Please press Fn + F9 at the same time; does this re-enable the touchpad?

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just tried that, but it has not re-enabled the cursor. Do I need to restart my computer for it to take effect?
Expert:  Barun replied 5 years ago.
You shouldn't have to do that; did you tap the keys once or twice?

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just tapped the keys a few times, and the cursor still appears to be stuck.
Expert:  Barun replied 5 years ago.
Okay; the key combination can be used to disable the touchpad as well - so we have to be careful to just press them once so as to re-enable the touchpad, and not disable it back.

Now, please restart your computer now and check if the touchpad is enabled now; if not, try pressing Fn + F9 just one more time, and let me know.

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just restarted the computer, and the touchpad was not working. So, I pressed Fn + F9 again, and it's still not working for me... I tapped some keys and tapped the touchpad, but it does not appear to be working. I am having to use my arrow keys to navigate but it's definitely more laborious.
Expert:  Barun replied 5 years ago.
Okay. Now, please press and hold the Fn key for a few seconds; do some function icons listings come up on the screen now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No icon listings...Do I need to keep holding Fn down?
Expert:  Barun replied 5 years ago.
You may leave it now. What's the model # of your Toshiba laptop?

Regards