Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I continue to get a error message Client Virtualization Service

I continue to get a error message "Client Virtualization Service (or Handler) has stopped working. How do I get rid of it. I can't open any MS Office files.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

Is it office 2010 your using?

Have you ever had another version of office installed before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have office 2007 running. I was invited to join a group on Windows Live. When I did, it said I needed Office 2010 which was offered as a free trial. That's when the problems began. I have tried to uninstall Office 2010 but have been unsuccessful.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Do you still have your office 2007 install disks?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, they came on the computer.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. lets try this

click start, click control panel, click programs and features.

now, the install list will populate.

find office 2010 starter.. and then double click it to uninstall it

aftewards, restart the computer...

then.. see if you can open any office files.. if you cant, then let me know

Please click the green accept button to show I have assisted you.

If you still need assistance, You can reply to this message at any time.

Thanks!

If my answer helped, please make sure to leave positive feedback on the screen that comes up after clicking accept. If my answer did not work, please wait to leave feedback till we get the issue fixed!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Before I do that, I have to tell you that I have tried to uninstall Office 2010 several times. When I do, I get the message 'Client Virtualization Service/Handler has stopped working'. I have restarted the computer anyway.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok,, if it doesnt work.. let me know

and we will use a special uninstall tool
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I opened the Control Panel and Programs and Features. There is no Office 2010 starter
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
ok.. is there anything about office 2010 ?

if not

Please download the free version of Revo from the link below

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Once downloaded. make sure to run the file, to install Revo.,

Revo is an uninstaller tool, that works much better then the built in windows uninstall tool. Once installed, run the revo program.

have it see if it can locate any version of office 2010.. let me know whatit finds
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will try it and get back to you immediately.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok, will be here!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I ran the Revo uninstaller and it is still listed in my Programs and Features. I even ran the clean up tool (advanced). Still cannot open any files and am still getting the Client Virtualization message.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok,, did revo see the office 2010 program ? you didnt specify
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it saw it as a newly installed program (actually two programs) - Microsoft Office for Home and Business 2010 and Microsoft Office Click to Run 2010
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not sure what next step is?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
ok, did you uninstall both office 2010 versions you found?

and when you unistalled.. did you do an advanced scan?

then tell it to select all files, and then delete.. each time it found office 2010 files?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I did that.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok, and now,, all you have is office 2007 installed on the computer?

Do you get the same error message, when you go into office 2007, and try to start it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I went back to the uninstaller and reran it. I think it is uninstalled. Now I am having problems opening the files from Outlook messages. It looks like it doesn't recognize the extensions (.doc) as Word, etc. Still checking. Any advice?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Question.

do you stll have office 2007 installed? we didnt want to remove 07 !
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I still do have Office 2007. It appears that everything is now working. Once I redirected a file that was attached to an e-mail to open in Word, everything seemed to be fixed. So far no error messages. I have tried to open several files attached to e-mails as well as files in 'My Documents'. Appears to be corrected.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Excellent. I knew once we got rid of office 2010, things would line up again.
If you have any further questions, let me know

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is Office 2010 really the problem? Should I not upgrade to that version? If so, do I need Windows 7? I will be sure to leave you a very positive feedback! Thanks for your patience and help.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Apologies for the delay in getting back to yo.

Office 2010 itself isnt the problem.

Trying to install office 2010 while office 2007 is installed. thats the problem!

the best way to install 2010

is to run the office removal tool first from the link below

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

download the 2010 tool, install it. and run it.

***Note*** this will erase your office 2007 as welll. so keep that in mind

then.. once all traces of office have been removed.

you can install office 2010 seamlessly.

only other word of advice, dont try to install the starter edition first, and then try to upgrade to a full edition

just install the fulll edition, and you shouldnt have any issues.

If you have any further questions, let me know!

Thanks!

Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller