Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified

I am trying to recover or restore my gateway nv53a. After pressing

I am trying to recover or restore my gateway nv53a. After pressing f8 the gateway recovery management comes up. however the only option lit up is exit.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.

Ben :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'XX be helping you.

Ben :

Let me know when you're ready to start this chat.

Customer:

now

Ben :

Thanks - Restart the computer and immediately press Alt + F10 > A recovery system menu should come up, follow the prompts

Ben :

Try it that way

Customer:

I've tried that but will try it again. It said windows files are loading, then starting windows, then gateway recovery managment, choose lanugage, then the only option is to exit. nothing else is lit up.

Ben :

Ok - what happens when you try the cd, does it just never come up at all?

Customer:

no

Ben :

What happens with the cd, are you able to get to gateway recovery management with it?

Ben :

Or is the cd not recognized by windows when you put it in (nothing happens)

Customer:

it allows me to get to the gateway recovery managment step 1 to select restore type. but the only option lit up is exit, not completely restore nor restore operating system and retain

Ben :

Ok, one moment please

Ben :

Is there a restore manager option on that page, and are you able to press the arrow keys to get to it?

Ben :

Or a restore from factory default option

Customer:

no restore manager option on the page. When I pressed the enter button (Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v14.0.0) page comes up. It says (no bootable device-- insert boot disk and press any key)

Ben :

I see - are there any devices connected to the computer other than just the mouse, keyboard, and monitor?

Customer:

It's a laptop

Ben :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you just try to start it up normally, what happens?

Customer:

the gateway screen comes up with a f2 setup option at the bottom, the it goes directly to the Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v14.0.8 screen. PXE-E61 : media test failure, check cable, PXE-M0F: exiting broadcom PXE rom

Ben :

Alright, that means the hard drive is defected and will need to be replaced - how long have you had the laptop?

Customer:

less than a year

Ben :

Ok, that's actually good because then you are still within the manufacturer's warranty:

Please click here: http://tinyurl.com/3cjgyvx

Ben :

And put in the SNID # XXXXX the laptop

Ben :

And it will give you a # XXXXX call Gateway support, just let them know of the PXE error, and they will have you send the laptop out to them and have it repaired free of charge.

Ben :

After they determine that you are still within warranty.

Customer:

Thank You .

Ben :

You're very welcome!

Ben :

You may press Accept now, thanks for using JustAnswer and have a good night.

Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified