networkdoc
networkdoc, Network Administrator
Experience:  5+ years of Information Technology and Systems Experience
33059174

I a want to remotely access my Qwest DSL 2wire router/modem in order to view a fosscam web

Customer Question

I a want to remotely access my Qwest DSL 2wire router/modem in order to view a fosscam webcam that is wireless connected to the 2wire. Using IE address bar with 2wire IP address I get an error/ cannot find the webpage? I've also tried putting in the camera IP with the assigned port added to IP address in the form IP address:80. When I hit enter on my gateway laptop, the port number, :80 drops off? Qwest offers no help, Fosscam offers no help, 2wire or Pace offers no help, HELP.Bill H.
Category: Computer
Expert:  networkdoc replied 5 years ago.

Networkdoc :

Hello Bill. Thank you for using JustAnswer!. My name is Terry and I will be assisting you today.

You stated that you are trying to access a Qwest DSL 2 wire router/modem remotely. in order to view your fosscam webcam. I was wondering if you can provide me a little more information on your set up.

1. Are you able to access the 2wire through the web interface when you are inside the network (as in in the house/apartment)?

Networkdoc :

2. Are you able to view the fosscam when you are on the inside of the network (agian in the house/apartment?)

JACUSTOMER-i5xv0nqz- :

Yes to both 1 and 2.

Networkdoc :

Okay so the only problem you are having is accessing it from the outside of the network?

JACUSTOMER-i5xv0nqz- :

yes

Networkdoc :

Have you turned on the remote access feature of the 2Wire router?

JACUSTOMER-i5xv0nqz- :

yes

Networkdoc :

Okay can you tell me what settings you have for the remote access of the router.

Networkdoc :

Also do you have a static IP or one that changes periodically given to you by Qwest?

JACUSTOMER-i5xv0nqz- :

How do I know if static or dynamic?

Networkdoc :

Usually you will pay more for a static one. And the static will never change.

JACUSTOMER-i5xv0nqz- :

What specific setting are you asking for?

Networkdoc :

I am wondering how you have the remote access set up on the router.

Networkdoc :

As in the ports as well as the IP address that it is forwarded too.

Networkdoc :

*to

Networkdoc :

The problem that I am seeing is this.

Networkdoc :

In order to access the router from the outside, you have to open up a hole in the security

Networkdoc :

So from the outside of the network you would use your public IP address that is provided by your ISP to access the router

Networkdoc :

Or to access any other device on the network.

JACUSTOMER-i5xv0nqz- :

I have setup the remote access by enabling the function and setting up a password. Port access is designated as HTTP 80, and SSL 443.

Networkdoc :

Okay.

Networkdoc :

What is the model of the 2wire modem?

JACUSTOMER-i5xv0nqz- :

Firewall is off.

JACUSTOMER-i5xv0nqz- :

also have designated port forward as starting 80 and ending 80 as I am wanting to access through HTTP

JACUSTOMER-i5xv0nqz- :

2 wire is 270IHG-D

Networkdoc :

Give me a few minutes to take a look at something okay?

JACUSTOMER-i5xv0nqz- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-i5xv0nqz- :

There is a static routing page on the 2wire config. page that shows only blanks in destination IP, subnet mask, and gateway IP boxes. Also, again on the 2wire config. page under the IP Addressing options page there are DHCP Settings, LAN Settings, WAN IP Address which indicates the IP type as dynamic.

Networkdoc :

Okay that is going to be a problem for you.

Networkdoc :

You IP address will change from Qwest

Networkdoc :

You will constantly have to be checking to see what the new IP address is in order to access the fosscam.

Networkdoc :

However if you are willing to do that, or get a static IP address we can work on setting up the connection

JACUSTOMER-i5xv0nqz- :

what isDDNS service all about?

JACUSTOMER-i5xv0nqz- :

How do you find the current IP address - is this LAN IP or WAN IP or something else. 2wire config. provides default LAN IP which is the address I have been using to access while in the network, but this apparently isn't the IP address I need to remotely access.