Matt, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc (Hons) Software Engineering, 4+ years experience as IT Support
15320265

Facemoods search mysteriously attached itself to Firefox.

Facemoods search mysteriously attached itself to Firefox. I did not order it and have done everything through control panel such as remove program, but it's still there. Can you help?
Thank you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Matt :

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting with your question.

Matt :

Let me know when you are ready.

Customer:

I'm ready and the accept button is not working.

Matt :

Ok, you don't need to click Accept now.

Matt :

Now, in Firefox, please go to Tools> Add-ons...do you see any facemoods related add-ons there?

Customer:

I can't even access firefox, face moods is as far as I can get.

Matt :

Ok, which browser are you using to chat to me now?

Customer:

Internet explorer. I have Firefox which my weight wathers portal runs through and obviously I can't reach it either.

Matt :

I see....ok, now, please go to Start > All Programs > Mozilla Firefox > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode); a dialog box should come up. Check all of the options except for the one to remove your bookmarks, then click 'Make changes and restart'.

Matt :

Can you open Firefox now?

Customer:

It doesn't show Mozilla firefox, just weight watchers portal. Do you want me to go there?

Matt :

Yes.

Matt :

Does it open up in Firefox or Internet Explorer?

Customer:

It open up in facemoods search.

Matt :

Ok....can you open a new tab there?

Customer:

I went to the Weight Watchers field portal and it still comes up facemoods search and there wasn't a dialog box or any option.

Customer:

I can open a new tab, but it is blank.

Matt :

Ok, in the new tab, please copy and paste the following : about:config

Matt :

Then press Enter

Matt :

Let me know what you get.

Customer:

It will not let me type on or copy onto the new tab.

Matt :

Ok.

Matt :

All right. Now, let's carry out a clean uninstall and reinstall of Firefox:

1) Go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features, then uninstall Firefox completely.

2) Now, click on Start, and type in the following in the search field:
%appdata%

Press ENTER; in the folder window that comes up, delete the 'Mozilla' folder present.

3) Done that, download and reinstall the latest version of Firefox using the following link:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html?product=firefox-3.6.12&os=win&lang=en-US

Let me know if this resolves the issue you are having with the browser.

Customer:

So do you have any other ideas? I really need this web site as it is part of my job.

Matt :

Yes, please follow the steps above.

Matt :

Before that, can you open that portal in Internet Explorer?

Matt :

...the Weight Watchers one?

Customer:

That didn't bring anything up to delete. Do I need to just delete the weight watchers portal and start from there?

Customer:

No, I cannot open the WW portal in internet explorer.

Matt :

Ok, did you find Mozilla Firefox listed in Start> Control Panel> Programs> Uninstall a Program ?

Customer:

No.

Matt :

Ok, are you sure you have Firefox installed in your system?

Customer:

All it shows in Control Panel is the weight watchers portal, so no I'm not too sure of anything at this point. It used to go the Firefox before the portal started. I'm stumped!

Matt :

Ok, do you go this link below?

Customer:

No, it is an emplyee only website called "Connections."

Matt :

Ok...do you have the site url for it?

Customer:

No. It just tells us how to install it initially.

Matt :

I see...ok, do you have the installation setup with you now?

Customer:

Yes, I have the initial setup in a notebook. Do you want me to delete what I have now and reinstall it?

Matt :

Ok, now, please go to this link :

Matt :

Let me know what happens.

Customer:

It brought up Weight Watchers Connections login page.

Matt :

Ok...is that the login page that you wanted?

Customer:

yes, that's what I needed.

Matt :

Great...you can make this url as your home page in Internet Explorer and then everytime you open up Internet Explorer, you will go to that page...

Customer:

Thnak you, I will try that.

Matt :

It's a pleasure. You may click Accept now and leave Feedback.

Matt :

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Customer:

Please excuse all my typos. This has been really frustrating for me.

Matt :

Not a problem.

Matt, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: BSc (Hons) Software Engineering, 4+ years experience as IT Support