Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
2888018

I have had an Iomega 1 Terabite hard drive (Model No MDHD1TB-UE)

Customer Question

I have had an Iomega 1 Terabite hard drive (Model No MDHD1TB-UE) for a number of years which I use as an external back up drive. It has suddenly ceased to to be recognised by my PC (Sony VAIO running Windows 7 Home Premium).The blue light comes on an I can year the motor and feel the drive vibrate. Please advise.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Justin replied 5 years ago.

jnayes :

Greetings and welcome to Justanswer. My name is Justin and I will be the expert assisting you with your issue. Please reply when you are here (type in the chatbox below, click reply or hit enter). If I am online, be sure to give me a couple minutes to respond.

jnayes :

Its possible the drive itself has malfunctioned or the casing (interface). First try a different USB port and see if Windows picks it up at all. Let me know if it does or does not.

jnayes :

If you've already done that, just say so

JACUSTOMER-bvrz19dr- :

I have already done that, sorry for the delay in answering, I was trying to enter my reply in the wrong place

jnayes :

Ok I'm back too

jnayes :

Please do the following

jnayes :

Go to start, in the searchbox type computer management and hit enter

jnayes :

Expand disk management

jnayes :

Look for the Iomega anywhere in that list and tell me if it appears

jnayes :

You have may have to scroll down (will be labeled like disk 0, disk 1, etc)

JACUSTOMER-bvrz19dr- :

Iomega not on list

jnayes :

Not a good sign, does the drive sound any different than normal?

jnayes :

Such as a slight clicking noise

JACUSTOMER-bvrz19dr- :

All I can see is Disk O with various partitions.

jnayes :

Yeah that's your primary partition/drive, if the external was being recognized at all it'd show up in the list

jnayes :

Have you tried the drive with ANY other computer?

JACUSTOMER-bvrz19dr- :

All I can see is disk 0 with various partitions and CD-ROM 0 which is empty (No Media)

jnayes :

Understood, already responded to letting you know that disk 0 is your primary hard drive of the computer. Your external is not being detected period.

jnayes :

So I actually have two questions for you

jnayes :

1) Have you used it with another computer as a test at least?

jnayes :

and

jnayes :

2) How important is the data on it?

JACUSTOMER-bvrz19dr- :

No

jnayes :

And the data on the drive? Important, or do you have copies?

JACUSTOMER-bvrz19dr- :

The drive held the copies which I was trying to recover.

jnayes :

Understood. Here's where it stands now. There's really only two things it can be.

jnayes :

The housing of the drive is defective or the drive itself most likely. There are steps you can take, but I'd prefer you try it in a different computer first at least once to 100% confirm its not connecting

JACUSTOMER-bvrz19dr- :

I do not have immediate access to another computer

jnayes :

That's ok, you can return to me another day, there's no rush. I'd prefer its tested first before trying the other steps I'm going to give you (for recovery)

jnayes :

To return to this question at any time, just go to www.justanswer.com, and click My Questions on the top right.

jnayes :

Now, if it doesn't work in another computer, here's the part you're going to need. Hang tight while I get a link.

jnayes :

(local computer shops should have the part as well)

jnayes :

What you'll do, with I believe a 1/8" screw driver is remove the drive from the housing (unplugged of course), there may be some screws under the rubber feet as well.

jnayes :

Once you do this, you'll hook to the drive up to the part I linked above, and then attempt to plug it into your computer

jnayes :

If the housing was the defective part, you'll be able to get to your files no problem with that tool. If the drive is defective, you'll know.

JACUSTOMER-bvrz19dr- :

Thanks for your advice, however I do not feel competent to dismantle the drive for fear of making things worse even when I have obtained to part. I would like to leave this question open in the mean time I will try another computer. One thing occurs to me, could there be a problem with the USB connecting cable? Finally how can I get back to you?

jnayes :

Its possible there could be an issue with the USB cable IF its a detachable one, otherwise its the housing. Secondly, I'm not asking you to take the DRIVE apart, just the external housing so there shouldn't be much risk (though I completely understand your concern). It should just be a couple screws that seat the drive into it. And last, how to get back to me, just go to www.justanswer.com, and click my questions. Then click our question name and leave me a message (i'm not always here)

jnayes :

When you're ready, what I can do is bring this down to Q&A format, so its all printable and such.

jnayes :

Because chat doesn't print well

JACUSTOMER-bvrz19dr- :

I am now trying a second computer

jnayes :

Alright, I'll hold.

JACUSTOMER-bvrz19dr- :

Its an old of XP machine that takes for ever to boot up.

jnayes :

That'll be just fine, just need something to test to confirm my thoughts

JACUSTOMER-bvrz19dr- :

No joy either,

jnayes :

Yeah, I was correct.

jnayes :

Its the drive housing or the drive. In my experience, its usually the housing, not the drive.

jnayes :

Hard drives are surprisingly durable. Even when damaged, or "failing" data can generally be salvaged

JACUSTOMER-bvrz19dr- :

OK I'll have a go in the morning when I am less tired and have found the right screw driver, so lets leave it there for now, I shan't close the case until we have reached a conclusions. One thing once I have removed the housing, what then?

jnayes :

You'll need this part:

jnayes :

Print the picture of it out and take it to a radio shack or computer store and tell them that's what you need

JACUSTOMER-bvrz19dr- :

OK can you please put this into a printable format so that I have a record. Thanks for your help I will get back to you. when i have the part.

jnayes :

No problem. Dropping it down to Q&A now. Remember not to click Accept (even if you get the reminders) until you're all set and have been satisfied with my assistance. I will talk to you soon!