Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I have a Packard Bell desktop computer with Windows 7 on it.

Customer Question

I have a Packard Bell desktop computer with Windows 7 on it. I want to restore back to factory settings. I have saved all photos and files that I need. I was told Alt and F12 but that doesn't seem to work. Would appreciate some advice
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.

Jess :

Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am glad to assist you today.

Jess :

Please let me know when you are ready for chat....

Jess :

Please let me know when you are ready for chat by posting a reply...

Customer :

Thank you I can chat now

Jess :

Hi, thank you for joining chat... Are you using the Packard Bell desktop to chat with me now?

Customer :

No I cannot get on to the internet with the Packard Bell. I am on one of my old computers at the moment

Jess :

Ok... But is the problem PC still booting normally?

Customer :

It comes on OK and lets me put my password in to get on to the desktop but as for anything else for some reason it won't connect to the internet although that is not the problem. It has been running exceptionally slow for a few weeks. I had it in PC World for a healthcheck and they said it was fine but when I got it home I had the same problems.

Jess :

Ok. I am sorry to hear that. Now, do you have Recovery CDs for your PC?

Customer :

No it did not come with any CD's

Customer :

I have got insurance on the pc but just wanted to restore to factory settings myself rather than have to take it back to pc world

Jess :

Ok. If it did not come with any recovery discs, there are 2 options then:
1. Your PC has a "recovery" partition that is accessible via keystroke at boottime
2. You need to run the Recovery Disc creation tool to create those discs yourself

Jess :

Did you remember doing option 2 there?

Customer :

I was told to use Alt and F12 but that did not work

Jess :

Do you remember creating Recovery Discs yourself?

Customer :

No I am afraid I am not that technically minded

Jess :

Ok... The last option is when you have the built-in and hidden partition that is called "recovery"

Jess :

Without that partition, you cannot do a Factory Reset

Customer :

Where do I find that

Jess :

Otherwise, you need those Recovery Discs

Jess :

What is the Operating System of the problem PC?

Customer :

Windows 7

Jess :

Ok... Please do the following with your problem PC:

Jess :

1. Click Start => Computer
2. Locate the disk drives like Drive C and other drives there.

Is there a drive like Drive D named as "Recovery"?

Customer :

I will go and have a look

Jess :

Yes please... I will just standby here...

Customer :

There is the following that shows

Customer :

Hard Disc Drive (2) Packard Bell (C) and Devices With Removeable Storage (E)

Customer :

There is no Drive D

Jess :

Ok... So only 2 drives?

Jess :

Drive C and E?

Customer :

Yes

Jess :

Ok... There seem to be no recovery partition... Let us check further if there is a hidden disk. Please do this:

Jess :

1. Click Start => Control Panel
2. In the VIEW selection, if it is set to Category, please click on it and select Small icons
3. Then all items in the Control Panel will show up
4. Click on Administrative Tools
5. Click on Computer Management
6. Then click on "Disk Management" at the bottom part

Jess :

You should see if there is a hidden drive there

Customer :

It doesn't let me click on small icons. When I click on view it does not say anything about category but you can see small icons but it is faded and you cannot click on it. The only thing that is ticked is auto arrange

Jess :

Another way to go to Administrative tools is to:
1. Click Start => Search
2. In the Search box type: Administrative Tools
3. Do not press enter, just wait for some seconds for the results to display

Customer :

OK will try

Jess :

yes please...

Customer :

I am on computer management at the moment

Jess :

On lower left panel, click on Disk Management

Jess :

You should see in then if there is a hidden drive or partition

Customer :

I can see there is a disk D and a few others f.g.h.i.j and 0

Jess :

Huh? So there seems to be hidden partition?

Jess :

Ok... Is there a partition there named "Recovery"?

Customer :

There are four partitions and the first one says healthy recovery

Jess :

Ok... Please close those windows now. Then do this when you restart the problem computer

Jess :

1. Please restart your problem PC
2. During restart, or while the system is loading, keep tapping the F11 key
3. System Recovery window should appear
4. Highlight "Recover PC" then press Enter

Customer :

# cvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Customer :

d

Customer :

Sorry about that my dog jumped on the keyboard

Jess :

Ohhhhh..... lol.... ok no problem...

Customer :

OK sorry for delay each time the computer is in another room so going backwards and forwards

Jess :

Ok no problem... please take your time. Remember to press and keep pressing the F11 key while your system is booting. That will trigger the Recovery window

Customer :

I have tried that 3 times but Windows still keeps starting up

Jess :

The keystroke needed is F11. Please try again... Keep tapping the F11 key while your system is booting up

Customer :

Do I need to hold the F11 key down first before tapping it. Also do I need to hold the ctrl or alt key at the same time

Jess :

No other keys.... When the system is booting up, right when the system restart, keep pressing the F11 key. Do not hold it. Just press and keep pressing at quick intervals

Jess :

How is it going there?

Jess :

Please let me know when you see the recovery screen with the F11 key so that we can try another solution

Customer :

Nothing is happening with the F11 key. I have now tried about a dozen times

Jess :

Ok... Please try this other steps:

Jess :

1. Power on or restart your problem PC.
2. When the Packard Bell logo is displayed, press and hold the ALT key while pressing repeatedly the F10 key. Release the keys when a message displays that Windows is loading files.
3. After the system recovery program has loaded follow the prompts to reinstall the operating system.

1. Power on your computer. When the Packard Bell logo is displayed, press and hold the ALT key while pressing repeatedly the F10 key. Release the keys when a message displays that Windows is loading files.
  2. After the system recovery program has loaded follow the prompts to reinstall the operating system.
Customer :

OK will try that. Thank you for being so patient

Jess :

You're welcome... please take your time...

Customer :

A screen has come up saying edit boot options. Not sure what I should be doing with that

Jess :

I think something is wrong....

Jess :

1. Power on or restart your problem PC.

Jess :

The key combination to press is ATL+F10, release only when the message Windows is loading files is displayed. Please try again

Customer :

I think I may have released too early will try again

Jess :

yeah...keep ALT key pressed then keep pressing F10

Customer :

I stopped when it said loading files and the olnly thing that it stopped on was 'edit windows boot options for windows set-up' as the first option, but nothing about recovery

Jess :

can you tell me the options there?

Customer :

OK just a sec

Customer :

Edit Windows Boot Options for: Windows set-up

Customer :

Path/Windows/system32/boot/winlo

Customer :

/MININT/REDIRECT (then a load of numbers and letters -

Customer :

piece missed off should have been winload.exe

Jess :

What are the command buttons available for you there?

Jess :

Like OK.... CANCEL or other buttons

Customer :

Only what I have typed above. There is nothing else on the screen

Jess :

Ok... please try to press the ENTER key and see if it proceeds to recovery

Customer :

Hooray we are getting somewhere. Do I click on the first one completely restore to factory settings. There is an option restore operating system?

Jess :

You can use Completely Restore option if you want to restore back to its original state when you first use it. All of your personal data and programs will be removed since only the programs that are installed when you first use it will be present after the process. In that case, you will have a like-brand-new PC. However, you need to re-install the other software that you bought

Customer :

Don't quite understand. As far as I know I have not bought any software apart from games. Is that what you are meaning

Jess :

I think this is what you need since you have saved all of your files

Jess :

Yeah... For instance, when you first use it, there are 200 programs. Then after 2 weeks you bought programs and installed them. After the restore, olny the 200 programs will be present...

Jess :

However, since you have backed up your personal files and pictures there, and that you did not buy other programs, then the complete restore is good for you...

Customer :

I see. Thank you very much for your time and patience. I just want to ask one more thing when I had to put my bank details in it said something abut starting a free trial and then £28 a month. I don't want to do that so how do I stop them doing that

Customer :

AS I have insurance on the computer

Jess :

You can always cancel the subscription mode if you are in the subscription....

Jess :

But I believe that you are only given that as an option

Customer :

I haven't agreed to anything yet so I just have to pay for the services you have given me today

Jess :

Yeah so that is fine already... you are not in the subscription mode

Customer :

Where do I leave feedback for you as I really appreciate all that you have helped me with

Jess :

After you click the ACCEPT button, you will see a feedback window

Customer :

OK once again thanks. Do I need to stay on here until that has finished restoring or should it be OK now

Jess :

That should be okay now....

Jess :

Just give it some time to complete....

Customer :

OK

Jess :

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Jess :

Did you choose Complete Restore?

Jess :

Please take your time with the recovery process. Just follow the instructions of the recovery wizard....

Customer :

Thank you it has finished restoring and is not setting up all the settings. Goodbye and thank you very much

Customer :

Sorry meant it is now setting up all the settings

Jess :

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Please click the ACCEPT button to accept my answer if it helped. Leave a positive feedback then if you are satisfied.

Customer :

I will do that

Customer :

Just waiting for it to finish in case I need to ask anything else !!

Jess :

Ok no problem..... Please take your time....

Customer :

Restore has finished but it is still running exceptionally slow ??

Jess :

Hi, thank you for writing back.... I have waited for your reply until I got disconnected because of an ISP issue. I just got reconnected this hour.

Jess :

I believe that the restore process has been completed successfully. Now, new issue, the system is slow?

Jess :

What aspect of the computer operation is slow? Is it slow in starting up Windows? Is it slow in opening programs? Or is it slow in running a particular program like Internet Explorer?

Jess :

Please let me know so that I can help you further.