Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

What are some of the reasons my computer keeps crash dumping...the

What are some of the reasons my computer keeps crash dumping...the fan is running well so...???
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

Do you get any specific error messages ?

What is the make n model of the computer ... when did you buy it

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi,I'm Carmen,
Pc is a Gateway SX Series purchased in Nov. 2010. No specific error details..screen turns blue with a bunch of errors but does not stay long enough on for me to catch everything .It just shuts dwn & restarts my comp.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

It could be because of software as well as hardware issues.

The easiest way to confirm this is by reinstall the Windows operating system on it. If problem persists, then its a hardware failure.

Now, it could be a bad hard drive or a bad Memory stick ... these are the two common factors. In lesser cases it turns out to be the motherboard.

Hence, you will have to take the computer to a store where they can replace 1 part at a time to find the faulty part.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" so that I get paid.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Andy,
Re-installing the Windows system...how do I go about this?Will I need my recovery disks?or???
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

You need to perform system recovery. It can be performed in two ways.

1. Using built in recovery partition.

1. Remove all CDs or DVDs from the optical drives.
  2. Turn off the computer, using the normal Windows shut down process.
  3. After the computer is turned off, disconnect all USB devices except the keyboard and mouse. This includes USB devices such as a printer, scanner, removable storage, or camera.
  4. Turn on the computer. After the Gateway BIOS logo appears, repeatedly press the F8 key. The Advanced Boot Options menu opens.
  5. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to select Repair your Computer, and then press the ENTER key.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, select the appropriate keyboard layout, and then click Next.

7. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click the down arrow to select a user account that has Administrator rights, then click OK.

Note: The Administrator account is disabled by default.

8. In the System Recovery Options window, select Recovery Manager.
  9. In the Gateway Recovery Center window, click Next.
  10. In the Gateway system recovery window, select Full factory recovery.
  11. In the All data will be lost window, select Yes, and then click Next.
  12. The Windows partition is formatted and Windows is installed.
  13. In the Recovery is complete window, click Finish.
  14. In the System Recovery Options window, select Restart.
  15. The computer restarts.
  16. Windows prepares to start for the first time. This may take a few minutes.
  17. Drivers and applications are installed. This process will take several minutes. The more drivers and applications that need to be installed, the longer the process will take.

Note: The following Out of Box Experience (OOBE) screens may vary slightly between computer models.

18. In the Set Up Windows screen, select the appropriate options and then click Next
  19. In the Please read the license terms screen, check I accept the license terms, and then click Next.
  20. In the Choose a user name and picture screen, enter the appropriate information and then click Next.
  21. In the Type a computer name and choose a desktop background screen, enter the appropriate information, and then click Next.
  22. In the Help protect Windows automatically screen, select Use recommended settings.
  23. In the Review your time and date settings screen, enter the appropriate information and then click Next.
  24. In the Thank You screen, click Start
Let me know if you can reach step 9 or not.

2. If above doesnt work, then the only option you have is to order a recovery disc from Gateway and use that disc to perform system recovery.

Put the Recovery Disk into your drive and restart your computer. Restart computer and on startup screen it will mention a Key to enter setup. Press that key immediately to enter setup. Then you will find many tabs. Goto BOOT tab. Change the boot order to make the CD Drive as 1st device in Boot order list and do Save and Exit. Then restart computer making sure disc is already in CD Drive. This will load computer from recovery disc.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok...copied...will try ...recovery disk from gateway...so not the ones I made when I received my pc? a specific one from them I suppose..??
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

If you have made the recovery disc, you can surely try that, no harm.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Andy...
Yes I think I can pay you now for your expertise..
I hope everything goes well...I'M no expert but I'll give it a try...
thanks again and have a nice day!
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

You are most welcome ! ... All the best !

Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO