Brad M
Brad M, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer tech with over 7 years of computer troubleshooting experience. Here to help!
41676755

I have a Shawmail web account, which i my main email. I have

I have a Shawmail web account, which is my main email it is getting full as I have saved past email and need to keep a record. I have Live Mail as well, like this for the calendar and just opened a Gmail account as the storage limits and being able to retrieve mail from anywhere is great, is there anyway I can streamline all three accounts together in one?? I am a Realtor and have to keep records of my email and like the Gmail set up for this purpose but still like the Shaw Webmail address I have my clients responding to....I also have an Iphone 4 can I link this to all the above?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Brad M replied 3 years ago.

Brad M :

Hi, my name isXXXXX will be happy to assist you with this issue.

Customer:

Cool

Brad M :

What method do you want to use to check your email going forward with this setup? Do you use Outlook or another email client? Or do you use webmail where you login to a website?

Customer:

I normally check my Shawmail account but I have Livemail at home and on laptop but don't always have them with me, so either at my office or my Iphone

Brad M :

Do you use a program, such as Microsoft Outlook, to check your email at the office?

Customer:

No I go to the web to access Shawmail

Customer:

they are my current internet provider at home and i can access it from any computer

Brad M :

Ok I see.

Brad M :

In the information you provided, you stated that you "have all mail filtering to each account". Do you have any of your accounts setup to forward email to another address?

Customer:

hmm not sure

Brad M :

That's ok. You probably do not have that setup if you do not know. That's a manual process that you would probably remember doing.

Customer:

i set up gmail and it is recieving all the emails that go to my shawmail account, likewise with Live Mail

Customer:

so the main email address is my shawmail but i have a different address for gmail

Brad M :

Oh ok. I would recommend setting up either your Live mail or your Gmail as your primary account and just have it check both your Shawmail and Live/Gmail account.

Brad M :

Which interface are you more familiar with or like the most out of Live and Gmail?

Customer:

I like the business functions of live mail with the calender, it is like the newest version of outlook express, but gmail is great for digital signatures and makeing things fancy I guess

Brad M :

Oh I see. And you're right. Live Mail is basically Outlook Express with a different name and a few tweaks.

Customer:

plus the bonus of being able to retrieve email anywhere is of more benefit

Brad M :

Right

Brad M :

Do you have a hotmail.com or live.com email address?

Customer:

i thought it was my shawmail address....

Customer:

but probably a homail i guess where would I look?

Customer:

I could look in another tab?

Brad M :

It sounds like Windows Live Mail is checking your Shawmail account. If you had a Hotmail or Live email account you would be using it and would be able to login to www.hotmail.com with it.

Brad M :

and of course the email address would end in "@hotmail.com" or "@live.com"

Customer:

right

Customer:

mine is @shaw.ca

Brad M :

Ok. So you have a @shaw.ca email address and a @gmail.com email address, right?

Customer:

but i am sure i would have had to have a hotmail account to set up live mail

Customer:

yep

Brad M :

Let me check on that real quick

Brad M :

No, you wouldn't necessarily have to have a hotmail account to setup Windows Mail

Customer:

i think i log into live mail with my @shaw.ca email address gmail is different

Customer:

so is there a way to have all my email go to gmail I can filter it there then delay the sending to livemail?

Brad M :

You could setup your Gmail account to check your @shaw.ca email as well. then all of your email would be coming to your Gmail account.

Customer:

Yah that is what is happening already

Customer:

but I don't keep all the email and I file them under the client folders ect...

Customer:

so I am having to go onto my shawmail and delete messages as it has very little storage, then I go onto gmail and it is still so new i am figuring out how to arrange all the client folders and such

Customer:

okay would it still go to a shawmail account at all??

Customer:

would that mean that my mail would not take up space in shawmail?

Customer:

so could I then deal with it in gmail first then have it go to livemail?

Brad M :

You can setup your Gmail account to check your shaw.ca account and also delete the messages from the server when it checks them. This would keep them from taking up space in shawmail. Then you would want to setup folders and organize everything in your Gmail account. The way to handle Windows Live Mail at that point would be to either remove or disable your shaw.ca email account and only use your Gmail account since your shaw.ca email would be in the Gmail account.

Customer:

ah okay that is making sense, i like that

Brad M :

The main thing to consider there is if you have already been downloading messages from your shaw.ca account in Windows Live Mail and you do not want to lose them, you should just configure that account to not check for new messages for the time being. Then you can manually move your old emails into your Gmail account (which you will then have setup in Windows Live Mail).

Brad M :

Once you move all of your old emails that you want to keep into your Gmail account on Windows Live Mail, then you could safely remove the shaw.ca account from Windows Live Mail.

Brad M :

You will want to setup your Gmail account via IMAP protocol, so then the emails that you drag from the shaw.ca account (in Windows Live Mail) will be uploaded to your Gmail account and would then be accessible when you login to gmail.com

Brad M :

:-) I know that is a lot to take in so if you need clarification or help with any of it, please let me know.

Customer:

so far most things have been stored on my shaw mail that are of any importance, but i will have to start saving new info soon

Customer:

okay so i should be doing this now?

Customer:

while you are still on?

Brad M :

If you want to. And/or I can check back in with you in a little while

Brad M :

Didn't you say your Gmail account is already setup to check your shaw.ca account? So if you login to gmail.com you could see both gmail & shaw.ca emails?

Customer:

a little while is how long....???

Brad M :

Maybe 30 minutes or so. I can wait though

Customer:

Yah i just logged in and curently deleted all emails as they are copies of what i have in live mail and shawmail so currently there isn't anything on it

Customer:

so what is the first step

Customer:

i have my gmail account open in another tab

Brad M :

Ok. In gmail if you click on the settings icon then Mail Settings, do you have your shaw.ca account setup under "Accounts and Import" -> "Check mail using POP3:" ?

Customer:

yes it does

Brad M :

Ok. Give me just a sec to setup one of my accounts in there so I can walk through this with you

Customer:

no prob

Brad M :

When you set it up, did you set the incoming emails for your shaw.ca account to have a label?

Customer:

I will check not sure

Brad M :

Ok. This will be the best way to keep your emails separated & organized in there

Customer:

um where would one find that?

Brad M :

You can even create a label called Shawmail or whatever would help you know what it is

Customer:

oh when the mail comes in i know it is from my shawmail

Customer:

it say that

Brad M :

Ok. If that works for you then that is fine

Brad M :

It's whatever your preference is

Customer:

okay so what next?

Brad M :

Ok. Let's check your settings in gmail. Click the settings icon in the upper right corner, then mail settings then "Accounts and Import". Next to "Check Mail using POP3" you should see your shaw.ca account. Click "edit info" off to the right of that

Customer:

history?

Customer:

sorry didn't see edit info hang on...

Customer:

okay what do you need to know?

Brad M :

Make sure "Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server." is unchecked

Customer:

I got yah

Brad M :

You can choose to label those incoming emails if you wish

Brad M :

Then click Save Changes

Customer:

yah just going throught that and it gave me the option to send emails as if from that email address from gmail and i put yes

Brad M :

Ok. Yes you will want to do that I'm sure

Customer:

yah sorry did it but i had to check my email for a verification # XXXXX!

Brad M :

Also, while you're still in Mail Settings, click Forwarding and POP/IMAP

Brad M :

Ah. great. it's not problem really.

Brad M :

Tell me which settings are selected for POP Download and IMAP Access

Customer:

ok then what do i do when I get there

Brad M :

You will want to be sure IMAP access is enabled

Customer:

IMAP is disabled and POP is enabled

Brad M :

You can leave POP as is for now. Just go ahead and enable IMAP as well

Customer:

ok done now i have mail

Brad M :

Right now your Gmail account is your central place for getting all of your email. You will still want to change your setup in Windows Live Mail

Customer:

ok makes sense

Brad M :

In Live Mail you have it setup using POP3 since that was the only setting enabled in Gmail before you added IMAP. Here are some instructions for setting up your Gmail account in Windows Mail:

Customer:

Ok seem pretty strait foward, shall i do it now?

Brad M :

If you already have your Gmail account setup in Windows Live Mail (via POP3), leave it for now. Then once you set up your Gmail account via IMAP, you can drag the emails from the old Gmail (POP3) setup to the new one before removing your old one

Brad M :

Sure you can go ahead and do that

Brad M :

You will also drag your emails from the shaw.ca account into your new IMAP Gmail account

Brad M :

You said you deleted all your emails from your gmail account while you were logged in to gmail.com, so there shouldn't be any messages to download when you setup the IMAP version of your Gmail account. Since IMAP synchronizes your emails with the server (gmail.com) when you drag those old messages from your shaw.ca account and your POP3 Gmail account, it will synchronize itself with the server (gmail.com) and all the emails you have in Windows Live Mail will be available through gmail.com as well.

Brad M :

I hope I'm not being too convoluted with all of this. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Customer:

okay, i am stuggling but hanging in there! LOL anyhow i have added my gmail account but still can't figure out where to find the imap thing to change it has already added the 2 emails from gmail but didn't sync with all my other emails

Brad M :

Step 4 in that document is where you should choose IMAP

Customer:

sorry found IMAP under properties

Brad M :

ah. Great :-)

Customer:

what should i change it to?

Brad M :

Change which thing to?

Customer:

holy, sorry IMAP

Brad M :

Which step are you on?

Customer:

ok sorry now i see that my shawmail stuff is there and once it stops the only mail coming in will be from gmail...now i am starting to see the light

Brad M :

Ah ok :-) great. Yes that's right

Brad M :

The only account you will end up having setup in Windows Live Mail will be your gmail account, but since your gmail account is already checking Shawmail for you, you will get both in one convenient place

Customer:

ok seems as the problem is solved, a little more work setting that up but should be staight forward, right?

Brad M :

It should be as long as you understand the difference between POP3 and IMAP

Brad M :

IMAP - synchronizes
POP3 - downloads email in one direction with the option to leave email on the server or delete it upon download

Customer:

okay so gmail still stores it on the server though correct??

Brad M :

Right. Right now your Gmail account will download your messages from your shaw.ca account via POP3 and we configured it to delete those messages when it downloads them. So your shaw.ca account will not store that email, Gmail will.

Customer:

i think this has been more than enough info for me in one sitting, tomorrow all i need to do is set up gmail on windows live, which is pretty straight forward thank you for all of your expertise...

Customer:

so as it stands i have all my emails going to gmail then to live mail

Brad M :

And since we're configuring Gmail in Windows Live Mail to access your account via IMAP, it will synchronize the server with your Windows Live Mail program. So if you add a message in Windows Live Mail, it will get pushed to the gmail server. And if you log in to gmail.com and go through your messsages, all of those changes will be propagated down to Windows Live Mail. Even the read/unread status of messages will be synchronized.

Customer:

and shawmail account will stay empty

Brad M :

That is correct. Think of Windows Live Mail as just another way to view your messages like you do by logging in to gmail.com

Brad M :

once you set it up via IMAP that is

Brad M :

and yes. Shawmail will stay empty

Customer:

question...what about messages i delete in gmail? are they automatly deleted in live mail as well?

Brad M :

Yes, that is correct

Customer:

nice so all is good once i set up gmail in live?

Customer:

that is the last thing to do?

Brad M :

yep sounds like it

Brad M :

I have a question though...

Customer:

ok

Brad M :

Do you already have your gmail account setup in Windows Live Mail?

Brad M :

through POP3?

Customer:

i am not sure

Customer:

where would i check

Customer:

i just set it up tonight

Customer:

seemed pretty simple

Brad M :

Click Tools -> Accounts

Brad M :

that should show you a list of all accounts you have setup in windows live mail

Brad M :

If you don't see the "Tools" menu bar, press the Alt key on the keyboard

Customer:

ok found tools but i don't see accounts

Brad M :

Ok. What do you see?

Brad M :

If you see a Mail tab, try that

Customer:

browsing, history, add ons

Customer:

internet options

Customer:

no mail tab

Brad M :

Is that withing Windows Live Mail or Internet Explorer?

Brad M :

within*

Customer:

internet ex

Brad M :

Ah. I was referring to your email program

Customer:

okay

Customer:

ok i see account in LM and email in LM

Brad M :

Ok it should be Accounts

Brad M :

then Email

Customer:

okay that is how i set up the gmail account earlier

Customer:

i think it automaticaly set it as IMAP

Brad M :

Ok that's good then

Customer:

okay so were good??

Brad M :

Once you get everything setup in Live Mail in your gmail account (moving old messages in there), you can remove all other accounts with these instructions: http://email.about.com/od/outlookexpressfreemail/qt/Remove_an_Email_Account_from_Windows_Live_Mail_WM_or_OE.htm

Brad M :

Just be sure that everything you need is in your gmail.com inbox

Brad M :

Also, if you want you can bookmark my profile on here in case you have further questions or would like to come back to me in the future:

Customer:

cool for sure!! you rock!! one last thing though is how do i save our chat so i can refer to it later if i need??

Brad M :

The quickest/easiest way would be to copy and paste it into a Word document. Do you have Microsoft Word?

Customer:

okay great! i will do that and thank you!!

Brad M :

Also, please click the Accept button so I will receive credit for this question :-)

Customer:

of course!!!!

Brad M :

It was a pleasure chatting with you, and I'm glad I could help

Customer:

: )

Brad M :

Goodnight

Brad M, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer tech with over 7 years of computer troubleshooting experience. Here to help!