Networking101
Networking101, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  MCTS (Microsoft Certified Technical Specialist), A+, Network+, Security+
15871235

In SharePoint, how to move a file from one document folder

In SharePoint, how to move a file from one document folder to another without losing the file properties - meaning without moving the file to the desktop and then uploading to the new folder?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Networking101 replied 3 years ago.

Networking101 :

Hi and thanks for your question! I'm not sure what version of Sharepoint you are using, but by far the easiers way to move a document from one library into another is to do the following:

Open the original document library
Click on the Document Libaray name (about the New, Upload, etc buttons)
On the right side, where it says "VIEW", Click on the down arrow and select "Explorer view"
Now select the File(s) you want to move.
RIGHT CLICK after selecting the files and choose "Cut" (to Move the file) or "Copy"(to keep a copy in its original place)
After cutting, move the the new document library. RIGHT CLICK and choose Paste

This will move from 1 libaray to another without having to save to the desktop...

Below is a screenshot of what the pages look like in WSS 3.0

https://my.mainehealth.org/SHR/Wiki/Document%20Images/Moving%20Files%20in%20SharePoint.jpg

Customer:

Okay, didn't realize the standard C&P works

Customer:

will try...

Networking101 :

Oh yeah! I love the copy/paste!

Networking101 :

and teh explorer view makes things so much easier...

Customer:

it doesn't give me a C&P option; if I right click on the file, "Copy Shortcut" is the closest option

Networking101 :

What version of Sharepoint??

Networking101 :

Make sure you are in explorer view...that is the only time you get the cut/copy/paste options I believe...

Customer:

I'm in IE; it's SP Server 2007

Networking101 :

OK, server 2007, I'm assuming it's Sharepoint 3.0. Does it look like the screenshots I sent??

Customer:

didn't check before I tried it

Networking101 :

no problem!

Customer:

there is a dropdown menu on the file that gives me a "send to -> other location"

Customer:

trying that

Networking101 :

Yeah, that can work also...MOSS has that capability..(Good thing with running Sharpoint on a SP Server..)

Networking101 :

Explorer view is a great tool since for some reason, Sharepoint does not have the native cut/copy/paste options by default. They are only active in Explorer view, and if you are running behind a firewall, sometimes that doesn't even show..

Customer:

It tells me the URL path is too long

Customer:

not sure how to reduce the characters and still keep the path

Networking101 :

AARRGGH! Gotta love Sharepoint...you wont be able to reduce the path, after so many characters, it will truncate it which in essence will lose the path...still didnt see the cut/copy, etc by right clicking in explorer view?

Customer:

not following what you are referencing as explorer view

Networking101 :

Inside of the document library, on the right side you should see the "View" drop down list...(It defaults to "all documents") Change this to explorer view...

Networking101 :

You can slo open your Sharepoint site up as a network location...(Through Windows Explorer) So just open any folder window and at the top, type in the sharepoint address (i.e. http://sharepoint/site1)

You can then navigate your entire site using the folders and the back buttons just as if you were searching around your hard drive!

Customer:

and that will allow me to use C&P?

Networking101 :

Yeah, explorer view is jsut like you handy dandy Windows Explorer. You will see everything like it appears as if you were looking at the contents of your hard drive...(much easier to maage in this view)...

I mive hundreds of files a month from one folder to another this way...it has been a lifesaver since I have found it..

Networking101 :

oops..."mive" = "move"

Customer:

explorer view is not an option; I get an IE window with "Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer"

Customer:

what a PITA

Networking101 :

hmm..sounds like a permissions issue...doesnt seem like you have rights to move files using this view...

Customer:

retrying at the main document level

Customer:

correct

Networking101 :

So it seems with the permission you have, unless you can request higher permissions, is to open the original file up, then resave in the new location. This however, will take forever if you have alot of files to do...

Customer:

okay, thanks

Networking101 :

can you get higher permissions? You wont need Admin or Owner, just Contributor with the ability to move files is all you need...

Networking101 :

No problem. More than happy to help. I've been there, and doing it by opening and resaving is a royal pain. hopefully they can elevate yo uand you can enter explorer view. Life will be a simple drag and drop or copy and paste then...

Customer:

that's the odd thing, I have "Full Control" permissions

Customer:

at the main document library level

Networking101 :

That then, is VERY strange. Unless you have full control of the main documents but each library has it's own "unique" permissions. Then I can make you owner of one library but read only to another...

Customer:

I was just checking that... I have full control to all the libraries I need....

Customer:

so the common denominator is me... and I can't figure this out

Networking101 :

very strange. Are you accessing the sharepoint library through a firewall, or is it a direct connection?? I've heard of a firewall blocking certain aspects of sharepoint, although it has never happened to me

Networking101 :

are you running windows 7 or Vista??

Customer:

direct, I believe... no citrix client or similar authenticated on first

Customer:

Vista

Networking101 :

seems that Vista is doing our little dirty work here...It is blocking it...

Customer:

try this another way... is there a way to find the URL path within SP... so other than the IE path window

Networking101 :

Open your services window
Right Click on Computer
Select "Manage"
Click on "Services and Applications"
Click on "Services"

Look for the service marked "WebClient" It MUST be ENABLED. If it is disabled then sharepoint will never open...

Customer:

trying

Networking101 :

You may even have to install the Microsoft Online services tool, which will fool vista into thinking Sharepoint is just another Folder on your machine. If the above steps do not work, install the tool from this link...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=5c2ca866-4107-4ae5-98d5-76bf1b18ff87&displaylang=en

After installing, you should have no issues in opening in explorer view with your rights...

Networking101 :

hopefully you can bypass the online tool, cause that is just another service you really dont need running unless yo uhave to.

Customer:

it's there... Status is Started; type is Automatic

Customer:

not following what you mean on bypassing the online tool

Networking101 :

OK, that is what it should be...so Vista is still blocking it. In the research I have checked with Vista, they do talk about this error message and 2 of the 3 blogs I'm on talk about installing the top services tool...but I have not installed it so I'm not sure of exactly what it does in the background. According to what I read, I makes vista think that Sharepoint is just another local site. It's more of a permissions settings tool than anything else...

Networking101 :

When you open IE, does it say in the lower right "Protected Mode ON" or "Protected Mode OFF"

Customer:

off

Networking101 :

OK, plane number 2 shot down...that will block it also if it is on...

Customer:

how about this...

Networking101 :

hmm..I'm checking my friend...all seems to be well...I'm certain it is a Vista block since you have the Sharepoint permissions...

Customer:

in the Actions dropdown, there is a "open with Windows Explorer" option; is that the same as your View -> Explorer View?

Networking101 :

yup, same thing...

Customer:

okay; I'll work on figuring that out b/c it open the folder I'm in (the "to" folder), but doesn't get me to the folder I need the file from

Networking101 :

I wrongly assumed WSS 3 on Sharepoint Server 2007. you guys did what you should do, Sharepoint 2007 on Server 2007...

Networking101 :

Yeah, go to the document library you want to open in explorer view first, then Action/Open with Windows Explorer..then you should be able to cut/copy/paste like you do every day

Customer:

okay, thanks

Experience: MCTS (Microsoft Certified Technical Specialist), A+, Network+, Security+