Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My Dell computer monitor light keeps blinking and will not

My Dell computer monitor light keeps blinking and will not turn off on on and has a back screen at start-up.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

Please answer all these questions 1 to 4 point by point.

1. When you press the power button to turn it on, do you see any thing on screen, like the Dell boot up screen or something like that. Or is it completely blank (black color) always.

2. Can you see a faint image of your desktop (try to see it in dark place with flash light). This is important to confirm.

3. Also, when you press power button, do you see the LED lights on laptop blinking or solid green (which ones are in blinking/solid) and do hear any sound ? Or do you feel that your laptop doesnt even try to boot.

4. Can you hear any Beeps when you try to turn on the computer. If yes, what is the sequence of those beeps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, there is nothing on the screen

no, images at all.

It is not laptop, but a desk unit with a separate monitor.

I can here the laptop come on with beep and standard windows start-up sound.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

If its a desktop, please answer all of these questions :

1. Is the monitor screen totally black always and not even the boot up screen comes on ?

2. Does your CPU cabinet's LEDs turns on and blinks. Or does your computer remains shuts down (dead).

3. What is the status of the LED on the monitor before and after your turn on the power on tower.

4. Do you get any message on the screen like "No Signal" or anything at all.

5. Does the Fan on the back of the tower turns on. And does it remains on or turns off in some time.

6. How and when did this problem begun

7. At the back/front of the tower can you find 4 leds ABCD ... what is their status ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The monitor is dark with no sign of life except a blinking power button.

The computer tower turns on normally. Power light on and another blinking LED on front.

The monitor LED blinks continually no matter what I do.
There aare no signals of any kind on monitor. Fan run normally
The problem began when I tried to start the computer 30 minutes after my wife had been using it.
LED ABCD are lit on back of tower.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

If LED ABCD are all green ... then its signifies that the tower has no issues, most likely. And so most likely your monitor has failed or the cable that connects monitor to tower has failed.

So, borrow a monitor from someone and see if that works on your tower. If it does, get a new monitor.

If it does not work, then your graphics card or motherboard has problems and you need to get it checked at a local repair store. There they can put a spare graphics card on your motherboard to confirm the issue.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" so that I get paid.

(You need to click ACCEPT even if you are a SUBSCRIPTION or TRIAL member)

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO