James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

Hi, I need to know how to take a screenshot on my dell Latitude

Customer Question

Hi, I need to know how to take a screenshot on my dell Latitude E6410 laptop. Does this service cost anything?
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

To take a screenshot, hold down the Control key, and hit the PrtSc key (top right of the keyboad).

You can then paste the screen shot into an email by holding down Control, and hitting V

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tried holding control then hitting Prnt scrn but nothing comes up on the screen. I guess I'm wondering how you find the shot after you take it or if there is something wrong and a window should be popping up after I hit control then prnt scrn
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Nothing is supposed to come up - but the picture is in the clipboard (in memory).

To see it, run Paint Brush (start-->Programs-->accessories).

Click Edit, then Paste.

It will then show you the dekstop snapshot you took.

James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience: 20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have paint in accessories, but I'm not sure I have 'paint brush'. Does that come standard with the computer?
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Yes - it is the same thing :)

Thanks for your patience,

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have paint in accessories but I'm not sure I have 'paint brush'. Does that come standard with the computer?
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Paint is the same thing - you can use Paint just as well.

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, so once you are in paint how do you find the screenshot you took?
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Click Edit, then click Paste

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry to be so difficult but I don't see an edit tab. what am I missing?
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
On the Home tab - you should see a big Paste icon on the left.

Do you see it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, I went to home -- paste -- paste from, but now I'm wondering how you know where to look up the shot on your computer because it takes me to my documents library
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Don't click Paste From - just click Paste.

If it isn't clickable, it means the clipboard is empty, so take another snapshot of your screen (hold control, and push Print Screen again).

See this guide:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Take-a-screen-capture-print-screen
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well I guess my problem getting the computer to take the screenshot then because I have held control and hit print screen and its not working. I'm
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Immediately after you hit control print screen, go to paint and paste. Doea that work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, it seems like hitting control print screen does nothing at all.
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Try ALT print screen. What happens?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nothing
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Let's make sure you are doing this correctly...

Hold the CONTROL (CTRL) key on your keyboard, and don't let go.

While holding it, hit the PrtSc button once and let go, then release CONTROL.

Go into Paint, and click Paste.

Works?