Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt

All of a sudden I cant send messages. I get this pop up an

Customer Question

All of a sudden I can't send messages. I get this pop up:
an error has occured while sending mail. The mail server responded 5.7.1 Relay access denied, please check recepient and try again.

I did that, everything okay there. then I get a pop up saying:

Message could not be sent because the connection SMTP server smtp.iw.net was lost in the middle of the transaction.

What do I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry Hannell replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

hello sir/madam,i would like to help you please let me know when you are ready.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

hello sir/madamhello sir/madam, it seems your firewall is blocking your
outgoing port (25th port) can you please try to change your outgoing port (smtp
port) to "587" and try to send again. if you dont know how to change your outgoing
port or if you cannot do it please let me know, i will be here waiting for your
reply. regards

.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, how do I find my outgoing port?
are you using outlook ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird.

please open your thunderbird go to tools>accounts

go to outgoing server (SMTP) section

when you are there, please let me know.

please go to the right pane and select your account and press the EDIT button. it will show you your port number. by default it must be 25. please change it to 587. press ok. press ok again and send.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm there, I see the smtp.iw.net as a default. there are five other smtp.iw.net Do I delete those?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did what you suggested but it still isn't working. It fails to connect to smtp. what next?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I changed it to 587, it was 25. The edit page shows a description which is blank and the server is smtp.iw.net. What should be in the description spot?

hello,

please change it to 465, also change connection security to SSL.

are you able to send now.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I set the port to 465 and the secuity connection to SSL/TLS---- NO sucess! Other ideas?
what was the error message?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pop up said-

failed to connect to SMTP server smtp.iw Server either unavailable or refusing SMTP connections, Verify SMTP server settings are correct and try again.

let me opt-out now, and open this page to other experts.

if nobody opts-in back, we can continue again. Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, I'll be waiting.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have we given up?
Expert:  Terry replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Thanks for using Just Answer.

I will try and assist you . Have you tried using webmail (Webmail is just using a browser to sign in) to see if you can get into your mail?

Terry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I can use webmail. That seems to work. That is where it brings all the incoming mail from. If I was to depend on that entirely, I would have to move my entire address book. That's what I have been using since the regular email shut down.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It just won't connect to smtp.iw.net It must be a special number other than 25; 465; and 587

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 3 years ago.

Hello. My name isXXXXX can provide you with additional assistance.

You said that you had several SMTP servers in your account settings. To answer your question, yes, please delete all the SMTP servers except for one.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Mike, that didn't work! What number should I use on the port server?
Who is your internet service provider?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my internet provider is Nology webmail iw.net. Mozilla Thunderbird is my email server and my problem is that my email refuses to connect me to outgoing sever smpt for sending emails. I have responded to all the experts request in changing the server port numbers from 25, 587 to 465 with no results. I can go to webmail iw.net and everything works there. So it must be Mozill Thunderbird. Any help?
I understand all that. What I am asking is for the name of your internet service provider. Is Nology also the company that provides you with Internet Access?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes

Thank you for the additional information. I do need to clarify one thing, however. You say that your internet provider is Nology, which is possible. But the internet provider that owns the iw.net servers is Knology. Can you please verify the name of your ISP? I'm not second guessing you - just wanted to make sure this is a coincidence.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You are right, I forgot the K. I didn't think it looked right. But it is Knology.

That's actually good news because it explains the confusion over the mail settings. Please see the following page:

http://bitli.es/iJnlQS

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have gone through the instructions and at the end after filing in all the blanks, a pop up comes and asks for a valid host name. There is no place to put one if I knew what they were asking for. There is no place on that page to ask questions.

Don't worry. I'll still help you through it. I just wanted you to see the info.

Please go to the SMTP server settings in Thunderbird. As I mentioned before, delete all but one of them. And then for the one remaining, use the following settings:

Enter a server name of smtp.knology.net.

Click the 'Use name and password' checkbox. The user name field should be your full email account: YourEmail@knology.net.

It is important that whether using knology.net or iw.net that you have outbound authentication enabled.

Since they are also your provider, you should be able to send using these settings. Give it a try and let me know.