Sandy
Sandy, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Bachelor in Technology, 7+ years of experience
33602187

My monitor shuts down and says no signal after about 15 minutes.

Customer Question

My monitor shuts down and says no signal after about 15 minutes. It is just like going into sleep mode. I have tried the monitor on another computer and this does not happen. Is there a way of fixing this
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.
Hello My Friend,

Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician who will assist you today.

Please change the power settings on your computer.

Please click start, click control panel, click Power settings.

choose the option Turn off monitor or hard disk to Never

Click Apply and then OK.

Note: Generally, Troubleshooting require more than once contact. If not fixed, please ask me again and I will provide you new steps immediately. Please do not leave negative feedback.
Please Confirm MY(SANDY expert's assistance by pressing the ACCEPT button. Bonus and Positive Feedback would be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This did not work, checked settings and already were on never
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This did not work, checked settings and already were on never. IF i am not satisfied with the answer how do i get my money back or is it not payed untill i acept anser
Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.
Does your monitor goes into sleep mode when you leave your computer idle or it goes into the sleep mode while you working on the computer.

You have not been charged till now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It just goes into sleep mode whilst you are working. When i say sleep mode i mean the screen goes blank and it says no signal. The difference being when it went blank before this happened all you had to do was move the mouse and the screen would light up again
Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.
It means it is an issue with your computer. Please follow the steps given below:

1. Please remove your antivirus. This issue could be created by a corrupt antivirus. Please click start, click control panel, click Programs and Feature(Add or Remove if you have windows xp) and remove the

2. .I would suggest you to scan your computer using the free version of anti-malware software. This will remove all of the malwares, spywares, viruses from the computer.

Please open the following link and download free version of malwarebytes.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Click Download Now (7.38MB)

Now,on the next page you might see, "Your download will begin in a moment.

click Run, Run again and install this software.

After that, click Quick scan and click start.

It will take around 10-15 minutes to scan. Once the scan is complete. You will see a link, "Select All". You will click "Select All". After that you will click "Remove Selected"

Then you will see a pop up with options, Yes or No. Click Yes and this would restart your computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have done this and it still does not work. After the scan it showed no objects infected so if followed the instructions and then restarted the computer. The screen went blank after 20 minutes, the same as before. I shut down and restarted and run a full scan, got to about 90100 objects then screen shut down, again after about 20 minutes. I have removed the anti virus i was running (Norton 360), do i reinstall this or do i leave it as it is for the moment.
Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for getting back to me.

You can install Norton afer some time. Let us wait sometime.

1.Please click Start.
2. Right-click Computer.
3.Click Manage.
4.Click Continue if it asks to do so.
5.Click on the left hand side.
6.Now, on the right hand side, please click + sign in front ofall of the items and check if you see any yellow or exclamation mark there.

How old is this computer?

This is a desktop computer. right?

Sincoe how long are you facing this? Did you make some changes to the computer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tried this, no exclamtion marks or anything came up. Computer is approx 2 years old. Has had nothing do to it. has never given any trouble at all.
Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.
Do you have insalled any program which controls the power settings.

Since how long are you facing this? Did you make some changes to the computer?

Is this computer a laptop or desktop?

What is connected to this computer? printer, camer, scanner, USB stick??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have not installed any programs at all in the last 6 months or so. I have not made anny changes to the computer except the ones you told me to do. I have had this problem for about 4 days. Never happened before. This is a desk top and the only thing connected to this is a monitor and speakers and head set. These have all been connected for a long time.
Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.
Please follow these steps:

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click Computer.
3.Click Manage.
4.Click Continue if it asks to do so.
5.Click on the left hand side.
6. Now, on the right hand side, click + sign in front of display adapter.
7. Now, right click on the item under it and uninstall it.
8. Restart the computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Got to step 5 cannot find anthing any where that says display adapter all i can find is a list on the left saying computere management then under neath system tools, events calander, shared files ect. In the middle column there is systems tools, applications ect on the right hand side is a column with actions written on it. The program i am running is windows vista
Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click Computer.
3.Click Manage.
4.Click Continue if it asks to do so.
5.Click Device Manager on the left hand side.
8. Also, please + sign in front of Monitors and right click on the items under it one by one and then click Uninstall.
8. Restart the computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, Tried all this with no problems. I restarted the computer twice and the only difference is that the screen only lasts for about 10 to 15 minutes now. Any more ideas that may help would be appreciated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have not recieved a reply. Have you run out of options or are you still trying to fix my problem
Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.
Please click start, click control panel, click Power or power options.
Please analyze the power options.

If power options are fine.

It is an issue with the computer tower power supplya and not the monitor. If you are able to perform these steps,

Please turn off the power.
disconnect the power cable from the mains.

Now, please open the tower and exchange power plug on your hard drive with the other one given there as extra or exchange it with cd/dvd rom power plug.

Take out a PCI card, switched the power plug on your hard drive, and change the voltage on your ram slots to the lower settings.

If you are not comfortable doing this, please contact a local hardware technician for this.

Thank you.

This is how I could help you. I hope you will recognize my effrorts.

Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.
Also, try one more option:

Please follow the steps

Please turn off your computer.

By using your right hand key, please start tapping(hitting up and down continuously) F8 key on the keyboard,up and down.

Now, please restart your computer. Please do not stop tapping F8 key.

Please choose Safe mode with networking by using the up and down arrow key.

Please hit Enter twice and login to your user account.

Please check if your monitor turn off again.

If it turns off again,

Please change the power supply. Power supply seems to be gone bad or corrupt.

Thank you.

Please Confirm MY(SANDY expert's assistance by pressing the ACCEPT button. Bonus and Positiv