Danh
Danh, Senior Systems Administrator
Experience:  9 Years Systems Administrator
31918883

my lg flatron w2246 goes straight to power saving mode so am

Customer Question

my lg flatron w2246 goes straight to power saving mode so am unable to use computer.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

Does it do this right after windows tries to load? Do you get the initial bios startup and then it goes into power saver when windows loads?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no the only thing that comes up is the lg logo then straight to power save mode.
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.
So if you hit the menu button, nothing comes on? That sounds like a hardware failure. Are you connecting through a vga cable or DVI?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am using the cable that came with the monitor, and it was working earlier. its a vga cable.
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

I'm not saying the cable is bad...I'm thinking the monitor or the vga port on the monitor may be bad. If it's the monitor, there's nothing you can do other than replace it. If there are other outputs on the monitor...such as dvi, you could try to hook it up through the dvi port to see if that works...hooking it up through dvi would require a dvi cable as well as your video card having a dvi port.

The only other reason, aside from hardware failure that your monitor would behave this way is if you set the resolution on your computer too high beyond the capabilities of the monitor. But if this were the case, you would see the bios messages before the monitor went blank.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my monitor has only got a d sub port does a dvi cable use a different port on the monitor
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

Yes...it's a different type of port ... a little wider. Sounds like you have an older monitor if it doesn't have a DVI port.

Since you also tried connecting this to another computer system, it's highly likely that the monitor is dead.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where do i click accept cant find a place to click
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

Sorry...please click accept here.

Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

Do you have a flashlight?