Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

My windows live mail will not let me send or recieve emails.

Customer Question

My windows live mail will not let me send or recieve emails. It keeps coming up with the error code 0x800C013B. How do I fix this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  AndrewR replied 3 years ago.

AndrewR :

Visit www.mail2web.com and type in your email login and password, report back with the results.

Customer :

I logged in and I can see all my emails

AndrewR :

Can you double check the error code you are receiving? According to this Microsoft document, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942495 , is not an error that Windows Mail will display. Based on my research, it is an error that occurs in Outlook Express, the mail client that was included with Windows XP/ME/98 and below.

AndrewR :

I'll need to know the exact error code in order to troubleshoot this with you. Thanks.

Expert:  AndrewR replied 3 years ago.
Get back to me when you've double checked the error code.

According to Microsoft, a Windows Mail error code contains three C's, example: 0x800CCC03 indicates that there is another user connected to the users mailserver

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I start Windows Live mail 2011 a window pops up and at the top it has Windows Live Storage Recovery and in the box it says 'Recovering the Windows Live database. After a while Windows Live mail loads and the error box pops up. It says exactly:

Unable to send or recieve messages for the Bigpond (gsmoye) account. An unknown error has occured.

Server: 'mail.bigpond.com'

Windows Live mail error ID: 0x800C013B

Protocol: POP3

Port: 110

Secure (SSL): No

Expert:  AndrewR replied 3 years ago.
The solution I've got for you isn't ideal, the end result is a little bit unfortunate and it will take a good amount of effort on your part. However, you will end up with full access to all of your emails new and old.

Long story short, your Windows Mail database has become corrupted. Following my instructions will cause your mail database to be rebuilt. You will have to go in and re-sort your email messages manually. But like I said, you will regain access to the emails and Windows Mail functionality will be restored.

First, close Windows Mail. Then, click Start -> Control Panel (select Small Icons from the drop down menu at the top right if you haven't already) -> Folder Options. Click the View tab, and uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files" and check "Show Hidden Files and Folders."

(We will reverse this after this troubleshooting is done.)

Open your Computer view, double click your primary hard drive (Local Disk C:) open Users, open the folder named after your username, open the AppData folder, then open Local -> Microsoft -> Windows Mail.

Leave this Windows Explorer window open, right click anywhere on your Desktop and select "Create Folder," (name it something you will recognize later if needed.) Now switch back to the Windows Mail folder. Drag "WindowsMail.MSMessageStore" to the new folder you created on your Desktop. Then, back to your Windows Mail folder, double click backup, open the "new" folder. Rename "WindowsMail.MSMessageStore" to "BackupWindowsMail.MSMessageStore." Now drag the renamed file to the folder on your desktop.

Now open Windows Mail. Windows Mail could take up to a few hours to rebuild your message database, give it as much time as it needs. I would not recommend using the computer for anything more than basic web browsing while the database is being rebuilt.

Your old emails will be placed in a folder called "Recovered Items." Allow the database to rebuild before moving these emails to their correct locations.

Don't forget to return to the Control Panel -> Folder Options to turn off "Show Hidden Files" and recheck "Hide Protected OS Files"

And, provided everything went as I said it would (you have all of your email, and Windows Mail is not throwing an error) you can feel free to delete the temporary swap folder you placed on your desktop containing your old database files.

Report back if you have any difficulty.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This didnt work. Same storage recovery box popped up and same error message popped up. One thing that was different when I was doing everything you suggested was when I was to double click on backup and open the 'new' folder it wasnt called 'new' it was called 'old'? There was no 'new' folder but there is a 'new' folder in the Windows Live Mail folder. Should I try to redo everything but go to the Windows Live Mail folder instead of the Windows Mail folder?
Expert:  AndrewR replied 3 years ago.
Strange.

Proceed with caution, the walkthrough I posted above applies to Windows Mail.

Give me a moment to test this walkthrough on my machine, on my copy of Windows Live Mail before attempting this on your computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok
Expert:  AndrewR replied 3 years ago.
Yeah, I'd say it's worth a try.

Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail are all offshoots of one another, and I have confirmed that this walkthrough does produce the same result in Windows Live Mail as it does in Windows Mail.

As a preview, if all goes as planned, this is going to be the end result, only with a lot more email:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok still not working. Windows Live Mail is not opening, its trying to but after a few seconds a window pops up saying Windows Live Mail has stopped working and windows is checking for a solution.
Expert:  AndrewR replied 3 years ago.
Okay. There's clearly something more serious going on here. Close the program out and put the Windows Live Mail database files back where they belong.

Remember to remove "Backup" from the name of the backup "MSMessageStore" file before returning it to its original location.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm Bernie and I'll be the technician helping you today.

Click the Windows Start button > Control Panel > Click Uninstall or change Programs > Find Windows Live Essentials 2011 from the list select uninstall

Then reinstall it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=56883de5-2024-4631-806e-757693072a1c

You will not lose any mail, please try it and let me know how that works out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I uninstalled and reinstalled like you advised and it all looked good until I tried to open windows mail. It won't open it just comes up that 'Windows Mail has stopped working. Windows is searching for a solution etc'
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Since this started happening fairly recently, lets try this, Click the Windows Start button > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Follow the prompts to pick a restore date and time before your issue occured. You will not lose any files, please let me know the results.

Also -

Click the Widnows Start button > Control Panel > Click Add or remove user accounts link in the upper right > Select create a new account and follow the prompts, make it an Administrator account

Try to log in with this account and see if WLM does the same thing.