Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

Google has stopped working on my network of computers.

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.

Jess :

Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am glad to assist you today.

Jess :

Please let me know when you are ready for chat

Customer :

Great. Have you heard of this problem before?

Jess :

Thank you for joining chat.... What exactly is the problem? You cannot access google.com in any of your browsers?

Customer :

I cannot access google on any of the computers in my home network. I have two windows 7 computers, one mac leopard, and a windows 98 computer. If I unhook the main router (lynksys) I am able to access google for about 5 minutes, than it stops working again.

Jess :

What web browsers are you using to access google.com? Internet Explorer?

Customer :

I cannot access my gmail, and when I can, I am unable to download any attachments. It is as if there is an antigoogle virus. Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Safari

Customer :

google has no customer service to take care of a problem like this.

Jess :

Ok... Are you using Roboform program?

Customer :

I don't know what that is

Jess :

Ok...

But before we proceed further, please bookmark our chat page so that you can get back to me whenever you are disconnected or when you are required to restart your computer.

To bookmark our chat page, please do this:

In IE: Click Favorites => Add to favorites
In Firefox: Click Bookmarks => Bookmark this page

When you are disconnected, just open up your web browser and locate the saved link under your Favorites or Bookmarks.

Customer :

are you still there?

Jess :

Yes... Are you not getting my reply?

Jess :

Please bookmark our chat page first before we proceed further. This is to ensure that you can get back to me easily anytime that you are disconnected

Customer :

yes I am.....I am in google chrome right now and cannot bookmark you for some reason......imagine that.

Customer :

Is there any way that I can switch over to IE for this chat?

Jess :

Yes. You need to login to justanswer.com there in IE then click on the MY QUESTION link

Customer :

It looks like it finally accepted your site. I think I am okay.

Jess :

Ok... good to know that... First let us make the cleanup procedures to ensure that your system is clean...

Jess :

The cleanup procedures use CCleaner and Malwarebytes. These are free tools. Do you already have these installed?

Customer :

Two questions..........is this something I just need to do on this computer, or will this clean up the entire network. This is a windows 7 computer that is the gateway computer for the network. I do not have those specific programs on my computer.

Jess :

Ok.. The cleanup will only affect the system where the cleanup procedures are done. After the cleanup, we can test google.com and see if you can then connect to it. If so, then do the same cleanup to all your networked computers.

Customer :

Okay. Where do we start?

Customer :

I have Avast anti-virus

Jess :

Ok.. Please hang on while I prepare your steps

Jess :

A. Cleanup with CCleaner

Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:

Download FREE CCleaner Here or this link http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess which includes all unwanted files, temporary files, temporary internet files, orphaned files and more. Make sure that all this mess that the Cleaner program has detected is removed. This will free up some space in your hard drive while speeding up your system as well.

Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.

In order to run the Registry cleanup mode, open CCleaner, then look at the left panel of the CCleaner window. Locate and click the Registry link there and that should give you the Registry cleanup mode. Then click on the Scan for issues button. When the scan reached 100%, click FIX issues to remove the errors from your system. Then click the Scan for issues again then FIX whenever issues are still found. When no issues are found, close CCleaner.

Jess :

B. Cleanup with Malwarebytes Antimalware

Please download the FREE version of Malwarebyte from this link:

Download FREE Malwarebytes Antimalware Here

After you download it, please install. During the FIRST RUN, please let it UPDATE. After the updates are installed, please perform a QUICK SCAN. Then REMOVE all malicious files found and restart your computer as part of the removal process.

Customer :

I am at 30%

Jess :

Cool... please take your time..... I will just standby here...

Customer :

It says I must close Google Chrome to allow the internet cache to be cleaned

Jess :

Yes... Please get back to me through the bookmarks....
Or here is our link:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/4xz7x-google-stopped-working-network-computers.html

Jess :

Welcome back....

Customer :

back. I have done the registry cleanup and am downloading the malwarebytes now

Jess :

Cool.... let us see if you have malwares.... take your time...

Customer :

running quick scan

Jess :

ok... keep it going....

Customer :

no malicious items found

Jess :

Ok... Seems you are protected with your Avast...

Jess :

Now, please try going to google.com now and see if you can connect there

Customer :

still a problem

Jess :

Try this:
1. Click Start => All Programs => Accessories => Command Prompt
2. In the black window, type this command and press enter: ping google.com

Customer :

I can get google.com but I cannot log into my account or access the gmail account. The search engine also does not work from any of my brouwsers.

Customer :

the ping seems to be good. 75%successful with a speed of 176ns average

Jess :

Ok... Do this command: ping google.com -t

Jess :

That should be a continuous ping... let us see if there are several time outs that you get

Customer :

when I try to sign into my google account I get the page that says There is a problem with this website's security certificate

Jess :

Can you try to use Firefox?

Customer :

continuously pinging

Jess :

Can you try to use Firefox to access google and gmail?

Customer :

I dont have it...would have to download it.

Customer :

should I close the pinging?

Jess :

Yes please... you can close the pinging by pressing Ctrl + Q then type EXIT then enter

Jess :

Then download and install Firefox and see if the problem with google is not present there...

Customer :

same issue This Connection is Untrusted You have asked Firefox to connectsecurely to www.google.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure. Normally, when you try to connect securely,sites will present trusted identification to prove that you aregoing to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified. What Should I Do? If you usually connect tothis site without problems, this error could mean that someone istrying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue

Jess :

Please look at your address bar... do you see HTTPS there instead of HTTP for google?

Customer :

yes

Jess :

Please try to remove the S from HTTPS so that it will become HTTP. Then see if you can get google

Customer :

I get google, but when I try to log in, it automatically goes to https:

Jess :

Yes since the login page is secured

Jess :

Try to login now

Customer :

still can't

Jess :

any error?

Customer :

this is the page that it takes me to to login. https://www.google.com/accounts/Login?hl=en&continue=http://www.google.com/

Customer :

no, just the warning page

Jess :

Are you trying to login to Gmail?

Customer : There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.
The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not yet valid.
The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT]Recommended icon[/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]Click here to close this webpage.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT]Not recommended icon[/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]Continue to this website (not recommended).

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT]More information[/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] More information

• If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
  • When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
  • If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private information into the website.

• this is what I get on IE.........

Customer :

I can get to the google.com page, but I cannot log into my google account or my gmail account

Jess :

Please click on this link: http://mail.google.com

Jess :

You should see the login screen for login

Customer :

http://mail.google.com/mail/?hl=en&tab=wm

Customer :

I get this address when I try to log into gmail

Jess :

Ok.... And can you login from there?

Customer :

this is what I get when I try to log into gmail

Customer :

gmail will not load

Jess :

Are you using Firefox this time?

Customer :

no that is from IE

Jess :

Please try Firefox and go to http://mail.google.com

Customer :

firefox automatically flips back to the google home page when I click on gmail

Jess :

Ok. On the google home page, look at the link above for Gmail. Click it from there and see it you get the login screen

Customer :

remember that this all is fixed when I cycle my router, but it goes back to the same issue after about 5 minutes

Customer :

That is what I sent you before. On firefox, it shows the same box as above, but than flips back to the google home page.

Jess :

Yeah... But we are trying to figure out if this is a browser issue...

Customer :

It seems to be the same across all of the 4 browsers

Jess :

What is the name and model of your router?

Customer :

linksys WRT160n vs.3

Customer :

I tried to cotact google about this but it was not successful

Jess :

Please try to do this:

Jess :
    1. Click the Start menu on your computer taskbar.
    2. Select Programs.
    3. Select Accessories.
    4. Select Command Prompt.
    5. Type ipconfig /flushdns in the text field (2 words, space between g and /).
    6. Press Enter on your keyboard.
    Customer :

successfully flushed

Customer :

no change

Jess :

Close your browser. Then open it back. Then try google again

Customer :

did it on IE, firefox

Customer :

no change

Customer :

Jess, I am afraid that this is not an easy fix. It may take more than you have to offer

Jess :

Do you manage and configure your router?

Customer :

I can

Jess :

Ok... Please reset your router and see if the problem is gone...

Jess :

have you tried resetting the router already? That is done by pressing the small reset hole at the back of the Linksys router using a small pin or stick like a paper clip.

Jess :

This will restore your router to its initial settings. If you have made special settings in your router like port forwarding or setting up passwords for wifi, they will all be gone after the reset

Jess :

Also, when you are using user name and password to connect to your ISP, you will need to re-configure your router with that connection type then enter the user name and password so that you can then reconnect to your ISP and gain access to the internet.

Jess :

Please let me know your results then so that I can help you further.