Molinari
Molinari, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified IT Guru since C-64 and Amiga, expert at grey areas....
16561526

Hello, my Pc doesnt allow files being copied or moved to a

Hello, my Pc doesn't allow files being copied or moved to a memory stick. I also cannot delete files on the stick or move them to my PC. Each time, while trying to do so I am getting the message: "Destination Folder access denied. You need permission to perform this action." I have 3 such USB devices that work fine on all other PC's and notbook. I checked the permissions and the properties of the files. There doesn't seem to be any restriction. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit on this machine, a new I3 CPU 540 @3.07 GHz with 4GB Ram. I am the only account holder and administrator. I tried all USB slots. I can only read the files on each stick and I can copy them to my PC but, as having said, I cannot move or delete them or move or copy files from my PC to the stick. Any idea how to resolve this problem would be very much appreciated.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Viet - Computer Tech :

We can try to get both ownership & permission of the problem USB memory stick.

Customer:

Ok, thanks for the answer. I listen.

Viet - Computer Tech :

But it's easier if you can format the stick on the windows 7

Customer:

What I don't understand is, I have 3 of those memory sticks. Each of them is different. They all work fine on my other PC's on the Network. It is only on this machine that I have problems. WHy are they restricted?

Viet - Computer Tech :

all of the 3 memory sticks have this problem?

Customer:

Yes

Viet - Computer Tech :

that is strange; let me check

Customer:

They didn't have this problem initially. A couple of weeks ago when I used the last one, evrything was fine. I must have changed something on my machine wihtout knowing...

Viet - Computer Tech :

Can you do a system restore?

Customer:

I don't know exactly when they were accessible. And I installed a couple of things in the meantime. I wouldn't like to go back to such an early restore point. I just tried the formatting since one of the sticks is empty but I got the message "You do not have sufficient rights to perform this operation"

Viet - Computer Tech :

Can you click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Disk Management. Then delete the partition/volume of the flash drive?

Viet - Computer Tech :

then re-create and format (quick) it

Customer:

I will try. Just a sec.

Viet - Computer Tech :

ok,

Customer:

It doesn't let me to delete the partition (the delite on right click is shaded). When I click the format it says: "An unexpected error has occured. Check the system event log for more information on the error." I have seen that the file system is FAT32 but my volume C is NTFS. Does this impact the problem?

Viet - Computer Tech :

no, that's normal

Customer:

Should I try to change the drive letter?

Viet - Computer Tech :

That won't work.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Let me check.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Let's try this: take ownership:
- right-click the usb drive letter under Computer, then click on Properties, then click on Security,
- then click on Advanced, then click on Owner tab, then click on Edit, then select your current logged in admin account.
- then check the box at Replace owner on subcontainers and objects. Then click OK, OK, OK, to close out all windows.

Viet - Computer Tech :

After taking ownership, then you can take security permissions:
- then click on Edit and add your admin account if needed.
- then select the box at Allow - Full Control. Then click OK, OK.
- Now right-click on a main folder, then click on Properties, then click on Security again,
- then click on Advanced, then click on Change Permissions
- then select the box at "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", then click OK, OK, OK.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Now check

Customer:

ok, thanks

Viet - Computer Tech :

you're welcome

Customer:

I don't see "Security". When right click on properties I am getting: General, Tools, Hardware, SHaring, ReadBoost, Customize and Carbonite.

Viet - Computer Tech :

What version of windows 7 do you have?

Customer:

Home Premium

Viet - Computer Tech :

Can you try this in Safe Mode?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Also, can you go to Start->Control Panel->user accounts and create a new administrative account?

Customer:

You mean, the same steps? Would I see then the "Security" tab?

Viet - Computer Tech :

yes,

Customer:

I created a new administrative account. It worked. Should I restart the PC or just switch user and go into the new administrative account to perform your proposed steps?

Viet - Computer Tech :

If it works, then you can just use the new account as the old account has problem

Customer:

Ok I will try it

Viet - Computer Tech :

OK,

Customer:

I tried from the new administrative account to copy a file on to the stick and am still getting the message: You need permission to perform this action.

Viet - Computer Tech :

ahh,

Viet - Computer Tech :

sorry

Viet - Computer Tech :

then please try in Safe Mode.

Customer:

WHich button allows me during the boot process to go into sae mode? It has been a long time that I had to to do such a thing

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please try this: turn off your computer. Then turn it on, and right after the black screen with white text or the computer company logo disappears, press & release key F8 repeatedly until a menu appears, then you select Safe Mode (note: if there is no menu, then try the same steps again, but this time, press key F8 a bit earlier).

Customer:

Ok. I will inform you what happened.

Viet - Computer Tech :

ok, thank you

Customer:

Hello Viet, I am back in safe mode and I can access the stick. I tried to copy a file on to the drive and it worked. However, I could not take the ownership steps since I don|t have this "security' tab when I right click on properties of the drive.

Customer:

So what should I do next?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please click Start, then type msconfig and press Enter. Then click on the Startup tab and uncheck all the boxes, except your antivirus/security program. Then click on the Services tab and check the box at Hide all Microsoft services near the bottom. Then uncheck all the services, except your antivirus/security program. Then click OK, and restart the computer and check.

Viet - Computer Tech :

If there is still issue, please go to Safe Mode with Networking, then click below and click on download now, to download and install the anti-malware software. Then scan your computer:
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Customer:

ok

Viet - Computer Tech :

ok,

Customer:

I did what you suggested. When I restart now, I am leaving the safe mode and going back into normal, right? Let's assume that I can access the stick, does this mean that I then would recheck one program after the other under startup in msconfig in order to narrow the problem down?

Viet - Computer Tech :

no, you don't need to recheck any program

Viet - Computer Tech :

it's just automatic startup

Customer:

ah

Viet - Computer Tech :

you can check a program to let it startup automatically, or you can just open any program manually when you want to use it.

Customer:

ok, I will restart now and then let you know.

Viet - Computer Tech :

ok, thanks

Customer:

Hello Viet, I am back into the problem with a new message. After having done what zou suggested, I restarted and when I tried to move the file that I had copied under safe mode on to the stick back to the desktop I got the message: "You need permission from everyone to perform this action." But "everyone" is now two administrative accounts.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Sorry it's really strange, but let me open your question to other experts.

Customer:

Sure

Viet - Computer Tech :

thanks

Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
On both the files you want to move and the destination,

- right-click on it, then click on Properties, then click on Security,
- then click on Edit and add the EVERYONE account.

Let me know if you run into any trouble...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the answer. I tried it already. However, the destination (the USB drive) has no Security Tab. When I right click on the Drive (I:) properties I am only getting the tabs "General, Tools, Hardware, Sharing, ReadBoost, Customize and Carbonite." As for the file: when I right click on properties I don't see an "Everyone" account, only "SYSTEM", "Customer (Customer\Admin)", "Home Users (Customer\Home Users)", "Administrators (Customer\Administrators)" and "WMP Network Svc" Besides WMP Network Svc they all have full control under "Permission". When I check the box "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" I am getting multiple windows with an error message "An error occurred while applying security information to: C:\PerfLogs, C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData, C:\Windows etc. Access is denied."

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Forgot to add that I can access the memory sticks, copy and move and do what ever I want under "Safe mode".

Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Ok, the tabs may show up in safe mode...

Right click on the folder and choose properties. (make sure read only is unchecked)
Then hit the security tab, then edit, then in the next window hit add, then advanced, then "find now" and add "everyone" to the list.

then close the windows by hitting ok, than on the original window, give "everyone: full permissions...

graphic

Reboot and let me know if you can access them....

And let's simplify the ownership process...

Download this, and make sure it has the file extension of .reg

http://wikisend.com/download/472906/TakeOwnership.reg

Double click it to merge/add and if it asks, say yes....

Then from now on you can right click on a file or folder and choose "take ownership"...

There will be some system file that you won't be able to take ownership of...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I downloaded the reg file (it has the reg extension) but it opens in Notpad after clicking twice.
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
ok, go to the start/serach bar and type regedit, when the result comes up, right click on it and choose "run as admin", the go to file and import, and navigate to the reg file you downloaded...

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I integrated the everyone with full permission and the reg file but am still getting the message "You will need tp provide administrator permission to move this file" while trying to move it from the stick to the PC and vice versa when I try to copy a file to the stick. It's really annoying.
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Right click on the file and choose "take ownership" and see what happens...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I right click on the file and choose "take ownership" a Window pops up, "User Account Control, Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer? Program name: Windows Command Processor." I clicked Yes. There was briefly a Dos window popping up but nothing else happened. The problem remains.

Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Try enabling the hidden super admin account, log on with it, and see what happens:

Enable Built-in Administrator Account

First you’ll need to open a command prompt in administrator mode by right-clicking and choosing “Run as administrator” (or use the Ctrl+Shift+Enter shortcut from the search box)

image

Now type the following command:

net user administrator /active:yes

image

You should see a message that the command completed successfully. Log out, and you’ll now see the Administrator account as a choice. (Note that the screenshots are from Vista, but this works on Windows 7)

image

You’ll note that there’s no password XXXXX this account, so if you want to leave it enabled you should change the password.

Let me know if that allows you to take ownership and copy the files....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I managed to install the Super Administrator account. I managed to take ownership through right clicking on a folder. This time, I took a large one so I could see in the cdm window that the ownership of each subfolder was successfully confirmed. However I am still unable to transfer any file as described. I also saw that I am not able to change the attributes. If I go from the administrative account into any folder it indicates "read only". When I change it and then go again into the folder properties the "read only" still shows up. As well, I am not able to discover and change the security tab of the USB sticks. Even under safe mode, there is no security tab.
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Was the usb stick formatted on another computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I never formatted them. I have three sticks, different models, they work all fine on my other Pcs and they all fail to full function in this one. I am getting the same restriction messages on each of them.
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Have you tried disabling UAC?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. Doesn't have this disadvantages?

Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
It basically is a hand holder...
The first thing I did was take over the hidden admin account and diable uac and dep....
I don't know if will have any affect, it looks totally like a permission issue...
Are you allowed to zip the files to hard drive from the cards.?
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
You may want to try this as well:

http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/#download

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have disabled UAC. I can zip, encrypt and copy but I cannot move or delete the files.
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
Now you can copy, that's progress....
Run unlocker, and choose delete or move and see what happens...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unlocker told me that the drive and file was locked, then said that it did unlock it but still the same restrictions.
Expert:  Molinari replied 3 years ago.
And it's fine when you are in safe mode?
Any antivirus software or any thing?
Does event manager mention anything?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have Eset NOD32 Antiv.4 I am about to run it. It's a deep scan, so it is going to take a while. I checked the event viewer. I am not good with it. What exactly should I look for?
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Any error or anything posted in event viewer at the time you tried to delete or copy a file.
I was going to suggest disabling the antivrus software, maybe it's preventing it from deleting or movng.
Molinari, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Certified IT Guru since C-64 and Amiga, expert at grey areas....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Molinari, after checking again and again, I realized that the attributes of all folders that were on "read only" and that I changed turned back each time to "read only". I have no idea why that happened. I decided to get a program involved. I found the small program "Attribut Changer 6.20" (http://www.petges.lu/) and suddenly it worked. The changes remained and the restriction disappeared. I don't know what exactly happened but I am glad that I don't have the trouble anymore. Thanks for helping me out. You had good ideas that might be useful for handling future permission issues. All the best.