Jason
Jason, Computer Expert
Experience: 
Over 10 years of professional experience.
30759776

My PDF documents are not printing correctly. In print preview,

Customer Question

My PDF documents are not printing correctly. In print preview, about an inch of the top is cut off and that is how it prints. Older documents that were fine are now doing the same thing. I guess it is a setting but I don't know how to change it or where.... Can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Greetings,

Which program are you using to print the PDF documents?

Customer :

I am not sure what you mean by "which program..." Can you tell me where I find tha tinfo?

Customer :

When I click on "print," the print screen comes up and there is a Pdf button on the lower left side...

Computer Extraordinaire :

The question is when you are looking at the PDF, which program is used to view it?

Customer :

Like this one was sent in gmail....is that what you mean?

Customer :

Or actually, download...

Customer :

Or "preview?"

Computer Extraordinaire :

Ok, when it view it, is it within a Firefox window?

Customer :

Yes...

Computer Extraordinaire :

Ok, thank you

Computer Extraordinaire :

- In Firefox, in the top menu, click TOOLS > CLEAR PRIVATE HISTORY
- In the time range to clear, choose "EVERYTHING"
- Click the Details button
- Put a check next to EVERYTHING in the list
- Click the Clear Now button and clear it.

Try printing the PDF once more, please.

Customer :

Okay, I'll give it a try..;

Computer Extraordinaire :

Thank you

Customer :

It still isn't printing correctly...The top 1/4 to 1/2 inch is missing...

Computer Extraordinaire :

Ok, one moment please.

Customer :

I want to clarify that I answered your question about the program correctly....the pdf files are downloads from e-mails mostly, I can open them without Firefox being open....and they open in "preview"....

Computer Extraordinaire :

Ok, thank you

Computer Extraordinaire :

Open the PDF in Preview, choose to print, Choose the Properties/Options choice > click the Page Setup/Page Layout. Choose to shrink to printer margins and centered. Then print once more, please.

Customer :

Okay...

Computer Extraordinaire :

Thank you

Customer :

I don't have a "choose the properties/options" choice...

Computer Extraordinaire :

Ok, when did this problem begin?

Computer Extraordinaire :

Is the printer by any chance an HP printer?

Customer :

The problem began a couple of days ago when I received a pdf newsletter. Yes, it is an HP printer...

Computer Extraordinaire :

In many such cases, your best option is to reinstall the printer software on your Mac.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Please, uninstall the HP printer, then reinstall it.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Once it is reinstalled, please print one PDF to verify that it is working correctly now.

Customer :

Okay...

Computer Extraordinaire :

Thank you :)

Computer Extraordinaire :

This happens far too often and the best working & simplest fix is to do what I suggested.

Computer Extraordinaire :

How is that coming along?

Customer :

This is embarrassing....I can't figure out how to uninstall by printer...

Customer :

This is embarrassing...I can't figure out how to uninstall the printer

Customer :

I have not been able to uninstall the printer....So I still have my original problem and don't know if what you suggested will work...Can you tell me how to uninstall the HP printer?

Computer Extraordinaire :

Hello

Customer :

Hello?

Computer Extraordinaire :

- In the top left menu area, click the Apple icon > System Preferences > Print and Fax
- In the left hand side of the pane, select the printer and click the "-" button
- Remove the printer

Computer Extraordinaire :

That will uninstall the printer

Customer :

Thanks! I will give it a try!

Computer Extraordinaire :

Once that is complete, you can install the printer just as you did when you first got it.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Thank you

Computer Extraordinaire :

Are you doing that now or lateR?

Customer :

I am doing it now....

Computer Extraordinaire :

Thank you :)

Computer Extraordinaire :

I just wanted to know if I should keep the window open or not, in case you had a question.

Customer :

Yes, please do because i can not find the "-" button

Computer Extraordinaire :

Ok, were you able to click and choose the printer in the left side of the printer window?

Customer :

Yes...

Computer Extraordinaire :

Ok

Computer Extraordinaire :

When you click the printer, it will become highlighted and you will be able to click the delete/remove button

Customer :

Never mind...I found what you mean...:)

Computer Extraordinaire :

Thank you :)

Customer :

Okay, Now I just have to reinstall...

Computer Extraordinaire :

Yes, please

Customer :

I have it reinstalled...

Customer :

It still won't print that top portion....

Computer Extraordinaire :

Ok

Customer :

I still have the same problem...

Computer Extraordinaire :

What is the full model name of your HP printer?

Customer :

HP PSC 1410v All-inOne

Computer Extraordinaire :

Thank you

Computer Extraordinaire :

Remove the printer once more please.

Customer :

Okay!

Computer Extraordinaire :

- Click the following link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=219&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=458978
- Choose MAC OS X and click NExt

Computer Extraordinaire :

Then click the plus sign next to Drivers

Computer Extraordinaire :

Then click and download the driver entitled, " HP DeskJet, PSC and OfficeJet Full Feature Software and Drivers - Mac OS X v10.6"

Computer Extraordinaire :

Download, save, and install that app.

Computer Extraordinaire :

I will stand by while you do that.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Please, keep me updated with any questions, concerns, or successes :)

Customer :

Okay, I am just reintalling the printer....

Customer :

Oh man, now it says "There is no application set to open the document “HP_Installer_Inkjet_Full_Group07_10.3(2).dmg.part”. Search the App Store for an application that can open this document, or choose an existing application on your computer.

Customer :

Now what do I do?

Computer Extraordinaire :

That means that you did not wait for the file to download completely.

Computer Extraordinaire :

You do not want to open the *.part file.

Customer :

Ohh,okay...

Computer Extraordinaire :

Please, let it completely download.

Customer :

I'll so it again...

Computer Extraordinaire :

The file will be called "“HP_Installer_Inkjet_Full_Group07_10.3.dmg"

Computer Extraordinaire :

ok

Computer Extraordinaire :

It is a large file

Computer Extraordinaire :

Please, keep me updated once that is complete.

Customer :

It is downloading....1 hour left...

Computer Extraordinaire :

Thank you for the update

Customer :

I downloaded and installed. I tried my pdf documents and I still have the same problem....top 1/4-1/2 inch does not show on the print preview and it does not print....

Computer Extraordinaire :

This problem arises far too often with HP printers.

Customer :

Okay. Are you saying that this problem is a common problem with HP printers? And is there nothing that I can do? The problem seems to be with pdf documents only....

Computer Extraordinaire :

The workarounds that we tried did not work. Another option is to use a 2nd party PDF viewer, then print from that.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Here is an example of such a viewer: http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/macosxutils/pdfviewer.html