Adam
Adam, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician for over 10 years.
41474987

How do I convert a Microsoft Works database document to a Microsoft

Customer Question

How do I convert a Microsoft Works database document to a Microsoft Office Word 2007 document?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Adam replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'm Adam, I'll be helping you solve this issue.

PLEASE hit the Accept button if my response resolves the issue, otherwise reply and we'll continue.

By using a file format converter in Microsoft Word, you can open documents that were created in Microsoft Works. After you open the document, you can save it in Word format.

1. On the File menu, click Open.
  2. In the Files of type list, click Works 6.0 & 7.0.

If you don't see this option in the list

Install the file format converter as follows:

1. Exit all programs.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • If you are using Microsoft Windows 2000, double-click Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
    • If you are using Microsoft Windows XP, double-click Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
  3. In the Currently installed programs list, click either Microsoft Office 2003 or Microsoft Office Word 2003 (depending on whether you installed Word as part of Office or as an individual program), and then click Change.

The Configuration Wizard opens.

1. On the Maintenance Mode Options page, click Add or Remove Features, and then click Next.

If you installed Word as part of Office, then on the Custom Setup page, select the Choose advanced customization of applications check box, and then click Next.

1. On the Advanced Customization page, click the plus sign (+) next to Office Shared Features.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) next to Converters and Filters, and then click the plus sign (+) next to Text Converters.
  3. Click the arrow next to Works for Windows 7.0, and then click Run from My Computer.

The file format converter is installed.

1. In the File name box, enter the name of the file that you want to convert, and then click Open.
  2. On the File menu, click Save As.
  3. In the Save As dialog box, make any changes that you want in the File name box, click the file format that you want in the Save as type list, and then click Save.

If this has helped, please hit the Accept!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have Microsoft Word 2003--I have Microsoft Word 2002 and Microsoft Office Word 2007.

Expert:  Adam replied 3 years ago.
It will work with those also.
Adam, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer technician for over 10 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I opened my Works Database file and saved it under a different name. When I clicked on the Save as Type list, there is no word processing option. Only file extensions of .wdb or .txt or .csv. How do I get it into a word processing document, specifically Word 2007?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
See question above.
Expert:  Adam replied 3 years ago.
The first is to save the Works file normally and then open it in Office:
  1. In the appropriate Office program, click File, and then click Open.
  2. Browse to the folder that contains the Works file.
  3. In the Files of type list, choose All Files (*.*).
  4. Select the Works file that you want to open.
The second is to save the Works file in the appropriate Office format:
  1. In the Works program, click File, and then click Save As.
  2. In the Save as type list, click the appropriate Office program. For a Works Word Processor document, click Word 97-2003 (*.doc) or Word 2007 (*.docx). For a Works Spreadsheet, click Excel 97-2003 (*.xls) or Excel 2007 (*.xlsx).
  3. Open the file in Office!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Adam: What do you mean by "appropriate Office program?" When I open Word 2007 I do not get a "File" option in the tool bar.

Expert:  Adam replied 3 years ago.
These steps are general, they are not specific for 2007 and 2010 WORDS (they are different) You will need to click the top left courner in word 2007 and select open. Go to where you saved this .wdb file, in the "show" drop down menu select "all files" now you will see the save .wdb file. Open this file and it should work.
Expert:  Adam replied 3 years ago.

This below is the best thing I found online and it has great step by step directions. It even goes over word 2007!!!!!

Method 1: If you have Microsoft Works installed on your computer

To convert a Works document to Word, use Works to save the document as a Word document, and then open the document directly in Word.

To convert a Works 6.0, Works 7.0, Works 8.0, or Works 9.0 document so that you can open it directly in Word, save the document as a Word document. To do this, follow these steps:

1. In Works, open the document that you want to be able to open in Word.
  2. Click File and then click Save As.
  3. In the Save As dialog box, follow these steps:
    1. Change the Save in box to the location where you want to save the Word-format version of your document.
    2. In the File name box, type a new name (if one is required) for the Word version of your document.
    3. In the Save as type box, select Word 97-2000 & 6.0/95 - RTF (*.doc), and then click Save.

Note If you are using Works 8.0, select Word 97-2003 (*.doc) in the Save as type box, and then click Save.
    4. On the File menu, click Close to close the document before you try to open the document in Word.
  4. Start Microsoft Word and open the newly created document.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Back to the top

Method 2: If you do not have Microsoft Works installed on your computer

If you have a Works document (.wps) that you want to open and you do not have Works installed, you can still use Word to open the file. To do this, first use the Works 6-9 Converter in Word and then open the document directly in Word.

Step 1: Download the Works 6-9 Converter

If you have previously installed Works on the same computer on which Word is installed, the Works 6-9 Converter is already installed and you can go on to step 2: "Open the Works document in Word."

If you have not previously installed Works on your computer, you must download the Works 6-9 Converter in order to open the document in Word. To download the Works 6-9 Converter, follow these steps:

1. If it is open, close Microsoft Word.

In your Web browser, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=bf41401e-70fa-465d-ae2e-cf44dbf05297&displayLang=en (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=bf41401e-70fa-465d-ae2e-cf44dbf05297&displayLang=en)
  2. Click Download. The File Download dialog box opens.
  3. In the File Download dialog box, click Save file.
  4. Double-click the saved file to start the Works 6-9 Converter installer.
  5. Click I accept to accept the terms of the License Agreement, and then follow the instructions to install the Works 6-9 Converter.

Note If you do not accept the terms of the License Agreement, the installation cannot continue.
  6. Click Install to install the file converter on your computer. The Works 6-9 Converter Setup now extracts the Works 6-9 File Converter and installs it on your computer. You can now open the Works file in Word.

Note If the file does not download or is installed incorrectly, you can go to the "Next Steps" section for more help.

Step 2: Open the Works document in Word

You can use Word to open a Works document file (.wps), even if the file has not been converted to Word format (.doc) beforehand, by using the Works 6-9 Converter. Follow these steps to open the Works document by using the Works 6-9 Converter:

1. Start Word.
  2. In Word 2000, Word 2002 or Word 2003, click the File menu, and then click Open. In Word 2007 or Word 2010, click Microsoft Office Button, and then click Open.
  3. In the Open dialog box, follow these steps:
    1. Change the Look in box to the location of your Works document.
    2. In the Files of type box, click All Files (*.*).
    3. Select the Works document (.wps) that you want to open, and then click Open.
  4. If the document opens correctly, click File, click Save As, and then change the file type to a Microsoft Word document (.doc).
  5. Save the document and you have successfully converted the file to a Word document.

Note If the document does not open correctly, or does not open at all, you should go to the "Next Steps" section for more help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I select windows default I get garbage.
Expert:  Adam replied 3 years ago.
Download the Works 6-9 Converter and go through the steps under that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where do I find the download for 6.9 converter?
Expert:  Adam replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK I have downloaded 6.9 converter. What next?
Expert:  Adam replied 3 years ago.

1. If it is open, close Microsoft Word.

Step 2: Open the Works document in Word

1. Start Word.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"save as" does not offer .doc option

Expert:  Adam replied 3 years ago.
does it offer a .docx?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no
Expert:  Adam replied 3 years ago.
If you installed the converter software it should open in WORD now. Go find the Microsoft Works database file and right click it > select open with > select MS WORD 2007
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I follow your instructions it opens in database not MW 2007. MW2007 is not offered as an option. Is the converter not working?
Expert:  Adam replied 3 years ago.

What version is Microsoft Works?

Do you have Windows XP up to service pack 3?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Microsoft works is v6

Yes we have XP svc pack 3

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think a response is pending for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
We seem to be going round in circles. I need an answer to the following question: How can I convert a Microsoft Works Database document (version 6) to a Microsoft Word 2007 document (Windows X service pack 3)? Thank you.