Carl L
Carl L, IT Specialist
Experience:  14+ Years of Extensive Computer Repair Experience.
27991594

HI I have a Toshiba Portege R700. I forgot bios password..

Customer Question

HI

I have a Toshiba Portege R700. I forgot bios password.. I have purchase receipt as well and I get it checked by Toshiba Official Technician. Asking to much money for resetting.. Is there any other solution?? A bit cheaper...

Cheers
Samuel
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com.

I'm sorry about the issue you are having. In order to remove the BIOS password, you have to take apart the computer and remove the CMOS battery, which is located on the systemboard inside the laptop. And if that does not work, Toshiba has to use a special tool to reset it and/or replace the systemboard. Please me know if you have any further question or other computer issue.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know about the CMOS battery. I tried it before but does not work at all..

I am looking someone who can give me something like resetting eprom or any other way to reset password...
Sorry, it's not really possible as each model is different, and you need special tools, but let me open your question to other experts. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its portege R700 laptop.. If there isnt any solution in your mind. Please close this question so that I can get my money back.
Expert:  Carl L replied 3 years ago.

Hey,

If taking out the battery for 5 minutes while pressing the power button didnt work, then the the password isnt stored in the Bios but that of a non volatile eeprom chip. Pretty much, the information on that chip doesn't get erased when power is removed from it. They use a special adapter that plugs into the computer port and reset the Bios.

Dell used this in their inspiron 1000 series laptop.

Without this, your only option is to contact Toshiba and ask for a master password. You'll have to verify ownership of the laptop.

Hope this helps!

, Carl Lindsey

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think I mentioned in my question that I took this to Toshiba Technician and he is asking for money I do not wanna give and I am looking for a cheaper solution here. And this is very basic thing that any laptop from last 2 years store information on EPROM that is not affected by battery.

I am looking for someone who can provide me any information to reset bios as it is possible in my laptops to reset my shorting circuit on main board.
But on this laptop its installed with Trusted Platform Module which is a cryptographic chip.

I am a Unix System Engineer and know all about these things..So instead of telling me about chips... If you have any solution like diagram for reseting bios by shorting circuit or any other software... please let me know or You may close this question if you do not have any solution.

Regards
Expert:  Carl L replied 3 years ago.

I just emailed a former toshiba tech I know.

He should be able to use the challenge code on your computer to give you a bios reset code.

In the meantime call this number to talk to toshiba and mention that you have a challenge code on your laptop that needs to be analyzed because you forgot your password. You can retrieve this code that changes everytime you access it by pressing ctrl-tab-ctr.

I'll keep you posted.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i know abt code but Toshiba charge too much for response code
Expert:  Carl L replied 3 years ago.
How much are they requesting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
150
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thats why I am looking for a third party solution. and if there is not any then I can just leave bios locked.
Expert:  Carl L replied 3 years ago.
That is RIDICULOUS to charge someone that much for a simple code. I'll let you know if my guy gets back in contact with me.
Expert:  Carl L replied 3 years ago.
I have yet to receive anything from him. After further research, there is nothing else, other than the info a toshiba tech possesses that can unlock it. I've spent hours looking for you and to know myself. Some models have USB bypass keys, yours does not have that option.