Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer Technician with a degree in System Administration.
46422908

I need to set a password XXXXX my Netgear N300 wireless router

Customer Question

I need to set a password XXXXX my Netgear N300 wireless router that was previously installed without a password. Can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Richard :

Hi. I am Rick and I will be your Computer Expert. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Richard :

Do you have the manual for it

Customer :

What came with it was a disk and installation instructions.

Richard :

OK. Are you trying to set it up as secured network instead of open. I think that is what you are attempting to do. The secure network will allow for access only through secure authentication. If that is what you need I can get you instructions on doing that.

Customer :

Yes. I think this is what I am trying to do. I don't want anyone else to be able to use the router, so I'm trying to set up a password.

Richard :

Any chance you have the install wizard cd that came with it?

Customer :

Yes, I have that.

Richard :

Well that is a good thing, but before I tell you to run the cd I want to ask one more question. What is making you think it is not a secure system now?

Customer :

When a friend installed it, she did not include a password, because we are not terribly close to other houses. We are near a road, however, and we found someone sitting near the house yesterday with their laptop open. We have seen other cars sitting there, also.

Richard :

OK that would be a good reason. Do you know how to access the router configuration

Customer :

Sorry, no.

Customer :

oh, and I'm on a MacBook using OS X, if that matters.

Richard :

OK the best way for me to instruct you is to give you the instruction and it will walk you through it. The instructions are on the site below. You will start at page 17 and just do what it says. Once you are into the router you can skip to page 21 and follow the instructions for setting up the security and the pin number(which is what you want) Make sure you write down the pin you choose because if you loose it you will not be able to get on line with your machine.

Richard :

This is a pdf file so if you are more cpomfortable printing it out to use that is fine

Customer :

I'll try it. If this works, I'd like to raise your fee. I chose the lowest rate because I thought I was connecting to NetGear help, and I thought they should help me for free.

Customer :

Whoops. When I click on the link it says Firefox can't access the site.

Richard :

THat is going to be a problem. Do you have internet explorer

Customer :

Yes, I do. The trouble window said it couldn't open the page at .ftp. Does that matter?

Richard :

What you may have to do is write down the site and then type it into foxfire. I do not knowe why it is seeing .ftp. Try typing it in just as it shows above

Customer :

I have downloaded the pdf via internet explorer, on another window. I'll do what I can and get back to you. You've been most helpful so far. Back soon.

Richard :

No problem.

Customer :

When I try to get into the router via routerlogin.com, it says

Customer :

Access to this resource is denied, your client has not supplied the correct authentication. What next?

Richard :

Who set the router up for you in the first place

Customer :

A friend of the family set it up. I see on p. 38 that to restore the factory settings I do this:

Customer :

You can restore the factory default configuration settings that reset the router’s user name to
admin, the password to password, and the IP address to 192.168.1.1.
To restore the factory default configuration settings:
1. Use a sharp object such as a pen or a paper clip to press and hold the restore factory settings
button, located on the rear panel of the router, for about 5 seconds, until the Power light begins
to blink (see “Back Panel” on page 5).
2. Release the restore factory settings button, and wait for the router to restart, and for the Power
light to stop blinking and become solid green.
The factory default settings will be restored so that you can access the router from your Web
browser using the factory defaults.

Customer :

Sound okay to you?

Richard :

That was going to be my answer. Your friend changed the default password so that is what you need to do. Once you reset you should be able to follow the instructions

Customer :

I'll get back to you asap.

Richard :

It will actually be better because you will be starting as if it were new so you can do it all yourslef.

Customer :

I'm in and downloading the latest version. Back soon.

Richard :

ok

Customer :

The download froze, or quit downloading. I've closed lots of things and will try again.

Richard :

Ok try it again

Customer :

This is ridiculous. Go through all kinds of steps, attempt to reset the password, and it tells me failure, the old password is wrong. I'm using 'password' as the old password, just as it tells me to do.

Customer :

Now what?

Richard :

Did you use as pencil or something to reset the router

Richard :

It sounds like it did not reset. The old password should not be there any longer

Customer :

Yes, I did. I'll try that again.

Richard :

ok

Customer :

Okay. I think I reset the password, but I don't know if I did or not. How do I tell?

Richard :

By password do you mean the one to get into the router to set it up

Customer :

In the NetGear smart wizard, there's a place on the left that says 'set password.' I went through that and don't know if I reset it or not.

Richard :

about the only way to know for sure is when you log out try to log back in. If you got past that screen it should be ok or it would not have let you past that point. Now you can contnue with the setup using the wizard

Customer :

What else do I have to set up?

Richard :

You need to go through until you get to the security part. This is where you will set the router so that others cannot get into it

Customer :

Okay. I'll try.

Richard :

Just follow the wizzard and when you set up the security code be sure you write it down

Customer :

When I select apply at basic settings, it updates them (I've done this several times now). What do I choose next?

Customer :

My patience level is getting pretty low. Isn't there some simple way to do this???????

Customer :

I don't get 'follow the wizard' what does that mean?

Richard :

OK you have the setting done. You router is now set. The password for computers to access it is NETGEAR by default. This is all you can do now. At some point you may want to raise the security level but you will need to find out what level all of the computers you want to have access support. For now you are better off than you were.

Customer :

How do you know I have a password that outsiders must know to get onto my system?

Richard :

Because the auto set up assigned NETGEAR as a default password.

Customer :

I'm sorry. I don't know what that means. How do I check the thing?

Richard :

Maybe I am not on the same sheet as you. After you reset the router did you put the wizard cd in and run it

Customer :

I never used NETGEAR as an old password.

Customer :

Yes, the disk has been in. I went to the Netgear setup wizard and clicked on startup wizard. That's when I got the basic settings window; it updates them (I've done this several times now), and then stares at me.

Richard :

On the menu select wireless settings

Customer :

I did that a few times. What should I choose on that window?

Richard :

can you see the SSID

Customer :

Yes. It says NETGEAR.

Richard :

Can you change it

Customer :

If I can, what should I change it to?

Richard :

That will be the password to use your router. Pick something familiar only to you

Customer :

Is this the security password, or is it what I call my router?

Richard :

security passwords

Customer :

I'll try it. Be right back.

Customer :

I typed in the security name, but it went on as I typed it, not as hidden dots. There is no 'verify password' box. What do I do?

Customer :

The SSID is right above 'region.' Are you sure I put in the security password here?

Richard :

Tthat is the way it does it. But it will only show the word because you are logged into your won router. When you finish anyone trying to log into will have to know the password. It is right above region

Customer :

I'll try it. Why isn't this in the reset password box?

Richard :

reset password is for reseting the password to get into the router setup. What you just did is for logging onto the internet using that wirless router

Customer :

I'll try it.

Richard :

ok

Customer :

I put in the pass code. Now it says connect to www.routerlogin as

Customer :

user ID admin

Customer :

password is dots. Do I change something here?

Richard :

no

Customer :

I clicked okay. It now says [ip address] is managing this device. Now what?

Richard :

cna you get on the internet

Customer :

I'm on the internet with you. Have been all along. I've been using another window to keep from shutting you off.

Richard :

If you are on the internet now it is working.

Customer :

How do I test it?

Richard :

shut down the internet and reopen it. If you get to the internet it is working

Customer :

How do I know that someone sitting in the street nearby has to know my pass code to get on to my connection?

Richard :

That is what you just set up. What you can do is have someone come over that also has a wireless laptop and see if they can get on the internet using your network. If it works they will not be able to until you give them the password you set up

Customer :

When I click on the airport icon at the top of the desktop, my just established password comes up as an available wireless connection. This doesn't look like it should. Ideas?

Richard :

Well from that I assume you are using a MAC but it is an available netwpork connection but to an outsider it will not abe an open connection

Customer :

Okay. I went to wireless settings, changed the SSID title, and it instantly changed the listing on the airport window. What does that mean?

Richard :

Now you are dealing with MAC stuff and I am not real good at that. I believe the SSID title is just the name your computer is using to identify the router

Customer :

Okay. I told you at the very beginning I was on a MacBook. So is JustAnswer going to charge me?

Richard :

First of all Justanswer is not going to charge you unless you accept the help I gave you. Whether the help I gave you is worth paying for is up to you. I don't know what else you want from me. I helped you set up your router as you wanted. Second of all read all the communications from the beginning and you will see that noplace is there a mention of you working on a MAC but it would not matter the setup for the router is the same.

Richard :

Sorry about that I just saw where you said that. But as I said the set up for the router is the same.

Customer :

Look at the exchange at 5:10 PM. It says there "oh, and I'm on a MacBook using OS X, if that matters."

Customer :

When I click on the new name in the airport window, it now prompts me for a WEP password. When I type in the password, it won't let me in. What I want from you is an explanation of how I determine if access to my router is password protected or not.

Richard :

Like I said I am not versed on what MACs do I will opt out and someone with mac experience will assist you with that part of it

Customer :

Waiting. . .

Customer :

Been waiting. . . now giving up.

Customer :

Do I wait for somebody else?