Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience

how can I install adobe pagemaker 6.5 on windows 7

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.

XXX XXXX :

Hi, my name is XXX XXX I will be working with you today on your question!

XXX XXXX :

You may try and install the program in Windows XP/Vista Compatibility mode and check if that fixes the issue:

To install the program in Vista Compatibility mode,

1. Right click the installation file and select Properties.
2. Click the Compatibility tab.
3. Under Compatibility mode, check the “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” option.
4. Select the Windows Vista (Service Pack 1) or Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) from the available options.
5. Click Apply and OK.

XXX XXXX :

However this is not very likely to work

XXX XXXX :

From user experiences you need to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign for Win 7 support

XXX XXXX :

One workaround is that you can run Windows XP Mode and virtualize a XP environment from within Windows 7 and install Pagemaker within Windows XP Mode, however this is essentially trying to run a computer, within a computer and your performance and memory will be severely impaired

XXX XXXX :

Another option would be to install Windows XP as a separate partition on your hard drive to dual boot between Windows XP and Windows 7

Customer :

Do I need to have the original disc in?

XXX XXXX :

Ultimately the best option is likely to upgrade to the latest support Adobe product

XXX XXXX :

in this case seeing that Pagemaker has been discontinued for InDesign, the latest would be InDesign CS5

XXX XXXX :

Yes, you need to find the setup.exe or installation program within the disk before you right click and change to compatibility mode

XXX XXXX :

Again, even in so doing it's been reported not to work

Customer :

I already new that but how do you upgrade when you cannot install the original? I already have a trial version of Pagemaker 7.0

XXX XXXX :

Pagemaker 7.0 does not support it either

XXX XXXX :

This is what I'm gathering from many users: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2891298

Customer :

Are you talking about Windows 7? that is what is on the new computer and we are using the trial. We want to know is can we upgrade from 6.5, we do not want to purchase the entire program which will probably cost $500

XXX XXXX :

Understood

XXX XXXX :

If Pagemaker 7 is running on Windows 7 then you can likely upgrade 6.5, if I understand correctly -- your question is how do I upgrade to Pagemaker 7.0 without installing 6.5 -- and whether you can qualify for the upgrade without installing 6.5 correct?

Customer :

Yes

XXX XXXX :

Usually when you purchase an upgrade product you will need one of two things during the upgrade installation process, the 6.5 disc or the 6.5 serial number

Customer :

So when the trial version of PM7 is up will they likely offer an upgrade and then we would use PM6.5 info to upgrade?

XXX XXXX :

I'm trying to check right now

XXX XXXX :

I would call 1.800.585.0774

XXX XXXX :

tomorrow to check with Adobe sales directly what you need in order to install the product

XXX XXXX :

They should give you the $79 upgrade pricing

XXX XXXX :

since you have 6.5

XXX XXXX :

however you will need to ask them regarding upgrade installation, whether 6.5 needs to be installed

XXX XXXX :

Make sure to emphasize to them that you have Windows 7 and it is not compatible to be installed

XXX XXXX :

If anything I am confident that you could suggest to Adobe to sell you the full product at the upgrade price if you supply 6.5 ownership evidence

XXX XXXX :

That is probably your best bet -- 6.5 won't install on Windows 7 and you will need pagemaker 7. If the upgrade media only checks a serial number or verifies a disc, then you should have no problems

XXX XXXX :

Just a thing to clarify with Adobe sales prior to your purchase

XXX XXXX :

Does that help?

XXX XXXX :

Can I be of further assitance?

XXX XXXX :

Otherwise: If your question becomes or is now satisfactorily resolved please remember to click accept to accept my solution and to have Just Answer pay me for my efforts. Do so only once to resolve your question.Bonuses and positive feedback are also greatly appreciated.

Also, you can click here to request me directly for future questions.

Thank you,