Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience
7043301

how can I install adobe pagemaker 6.5 on windows 7

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 5 years ago.

Dan Chan :

Hi, my name is Dan and I will be working with you today on your question!

Dan Chan :

You may try and install the program in Windows XP/Vista Compatibility mode and check if that fixes the issue:

To install the program in Vista Compatibility mode,

1. Right click the installation file and select Properties.
2. Click the Compatibility tab.
3. Under Compatibility mode, check the “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” option.
4. Select the Windows Vista (Service Pack 1) or Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) from the available options.
5. Click Apply and OK.

Dan Chan :

However this is not very likely to work

Dan Chan :

From user experiences you need to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign for Win 7 support

Dan Chan :

One workaround is that you can run Windows XP Mode and virtualize a XP environment from within Windows 7 and install Pagemaker within Windows XP Mode, however this is essentially trying to run a computer, within a computer and your performance and memory will be severely impaired

Dan Chan :

Another option would be to install Windows XP as a separate partition on your hard drive to dual boot between Windows XP and Windows 7

JACUSTOMER-hs24o5jr- :

Do I need to have the original disc in?

Dan Chan :

Ultimately the best option is likely to upgrade to the latest support Adobe product

Dan Chan :

in this case seeing that Pagemaker has been discontinued for InDesign, the latest would be InDesign CS5

Dan Chan :

Yes, you need to find the setup.exe or installation program within the disk before you right click and change to compatibility mode

Dan Chan :

Again, even in so doing it's been reported not to work

JACUSTOMER-hs24o5jr- :

I already new that but how do you upgrade when you cannot install the original? I already have a trial version of Pagemaker 7.0

Dan Chan :

Pagemaker 7.0 does not support it either

Dan Chan :

This is what I'm gathering from many users: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2891298

JACUSTOMER-hs24o5jr- :

Are you talking about Windows 7? that is what is on the new computer and we are using the trial. We want to know is can we upgrade from 6.5, we do not want to purchase the entire program which will probably cost $500

Dan Chan :

Understood

Dan Chan :

If Pagemaker 7 is running on Windows 7 then you can likely upgrade 6.5, if I understand correctly -- your question is how do I upgrade to Pagemaker 7.0 without installing 6.5 -- and whether you can qualify for the upgrade without installing 6.5 correct?

JACUSTOMER-hs24o5jr- :

Yes

Dan Chan :

Usually when you purchase an upgrade product you will need one of two things during the upgrade installation process, the 6.5 disc or the 6.5 serial number

JACUSTOMER-hs24o5jr- :

So when the trial version of PM7 is up will they likely offer an upgrade and then we would use PM6.5 info to upgrade?

Dan Chan :

I'm trying to check right now

Dan Chan :

I would call 1.800.585.0774

Dan Chan :

tomorrow to check with Adobe sales directly what you need in order to install the product

Dan Chan :

They should give you the $79 upgrade pricing

Dan Chan :

since you have 6.5

Dan Chan :

however you will need to ask them regarding upgrade installation, whether 6.5 needs to be installed

Dan Chan :

Make sure to emphasize to them that you have Windows 7 and it is not compatible to be installed

Dan Chan :

If anything I am confident that you could suggest to Adobe to sell you the full product at the upgrade price if you supply 6.5 ownership evidence

Dan Chan :

That is probably your best bet -- 6.5 won't install on Windows 7 and you will need pagemaker 7. If the upgrade media only checks a serial number or verifies a disc, then you should have no problems

Dan Chan :

Just a thing to clarify with Adobe sales prior to your purchase

Dan Chan :

Does that help?

Dan Chan :

Can I be of further assitance?

Dan Chan :

Otherwise: If your question becomes or is now satisfactorily resolved please remember to click accept to accept my solution and to have Just Answer pay me for my efforts. Do so only once to resolve your question.Bonuses and positive feedback are also greatly appreciated.

Also, you can click here to request me directly for future questions.

Thank you,