BrianPKelly
BrianPKelly, Consultant
Experience:  A+, 10 Years Experience
33460957

We have laptop..VPCEE Series, model #PCG-71511L When we turn

We have laptop..VPCEE Series, model #PCG-71511L
When we turn on the computer, it always goes to the 'boot configuration' black screen.
We have disconnected the battery and reconnected it to see if it would restart normally.
We just never see the window icon. What can we do? The computer is only 2 months new.
Category: Computer
Expert:  BrianPKelly replied 3 years ago.

BrianPKelly :

Hi there, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to assist you today.

BrianPKelly :

What are your options on the boot screen you mentioned?

Customer:

The boot configuration screen usually says to insert a windows disk, which we do not have, and select english, and to restart or contact our administrator, which we do not know who that is.

BrianPKelly :

Ah, I see. I'm going to be honest with you, in that case your options may be limited.

BrianPKelly :

It sounds like Windows has corrupted and will need to be reinstalled.

BrianPKelly :

Let me ask you this, do you have data on the machine that you can't afford to lose?

Customer:

No, it is just used for email and simple internet access. Does it make any difference that we downloaded iTunes when it was working? The computer worked for a day after installing itunes and then the next day we got the boot configuration screen. Does it make any difference how you turn the computer off? My brother in law is still learning and forgets to close out and just hits the power power to turn it off.

BrianPKelly :

iTunes really shouldn't make a difference. As for turning it off, Windows can usually recover from a bad shutdown without a lot of problems, but if Windows was in the middle of processing something when it was unexpectedly shutdown then it is possible that it could've lead to a file corruption in the operating system.

BrianPKelly :

I'm guessing this is a personal machine and not a corporate machine, correct?

Customer:

Yes, just a simple PC laptop for personal use.

BrianPKelly :

When it was first purchased, do you know if a set of recovery discs were created by any chance?

Customer:

No, we bought the Sony laptop at Fry's in Oxnard, California. There were no discs created or in the box.

BrianPKelly :

Are you near the machine right now?

Customer:

Yes. We have it on and all there is - is a black screen. No words, no cursor, just a black screen.

BrianPKelly :

Okay. This is a long shot, but let's try something. Hold the power button and power the machine completely down. Once it's down, bring it back up and while it's coming up repeatedly tap the F8 key. I want to see if it takes you to a boot menu that gives you several options.

Customer:

OK, we turned it off. Now we are waiting for it to start up and we are tabbing the F8 key.

BrianPKelly :

Okay, let me know what happens.

Customer:

We powered it on, we tabbed the F8 key repeatedly, and all that shows is a black screen.

BrianPKelly :

Okay. In that case, you won't be able to access the boot menu to perform a system recovery or other troubleshooting options for Windows. I'm afraid one of two things will have to happen here. It could be possible that the operating system just needs to be reloaded. Typically, when you get a new Vaio, you'll want to go through the installed VAIO Care app to create restore CDs. Since this wasn't done, what you're probably going to have to do is order a set from Sony. For that, you'd want to speak with official Sony support.

BrianPKelly :

It's also possible, though I feel less likely, that there's a more serious problem that may have something to do with the hard drive. I wouldn't get too alarmed yet, though. And if that's the case, since the machine is almost new, it should still be under warranty.

BrianPKelly :

In any case, you'll want to contact Sony via one of the options located on this page:

BrianPKelly :

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-contacts.pl?mdl=VPCEF44FX
BrianPKelly :

Customer:

Well, i guess that is what we will do...thank you

BrianPKelly :

I know that's not the answer you were hoping for and I'm sorry we weren't able to take it farther. When a machine won't let you do anything with it, as yours won't at this point, you just can't do much without certain tools, in this case those recovery discs.

BrianPKelly :

If you feel that this has been helpful in getting you closer to a resolution please do remember to click Accept for me. And I wish you luck in getting everything up and running again.

Customer:

thank you Brian.......will we be able to print up your responses?

BrianPKelly :

I'm not sure that it will let you print directly from the Window, so what I usually suggest is that you copy and paste everything into a Word document. Or if you want to bookmark the link, then I'll put the question into "Q&A mode" and you can come back to it via the link and it will have a full transcript.

Customer:

I will try my best right now.

BrianPKelly :

Okay, sounds good. And good luck again.

Customer:

Okay, I copied and pasted the responses into a word document. Thanks for your help and we will hit the 'accept' button now.

BrianPKelly, Consultant
Experience: A+, 10 Years Experience