Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I cannot access the information on my Maxtor external hard

Customer Question

I cannot access the information on my Maxtor external hard drive
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Viet - Computer Tech :

Does the maxtor drive makes any strange or clicking noise?

Viet - Computer Tech :

There is no need driver for external hard drive.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Did you try with another USB cable?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Can you try the maxtor drive on another computer and check?

Customer:

no strange noise

Customer:

have tried another cable

Customer:

same response on my lap top

Customer:

help

Viet - Computer Tech :

Does it show up in (my) computer?

Customer:

no

Viet - Computer Tech :

How about the power light on the maxtor drive?

Customer:

on

Viet - Computer Tech :

Well, if it does not work on both computers, then the drive hardware has issue.

Viet - Computer Tech :

There are two main parts of an external hard drive: the enclosure and the hard drive itself. Either one or both could be bad.

Viet - Computer Tech :

To check, you can open the enclosure, and take out the hard drive. Then bring the hard drive to your local computer store and ask to buy a USB external hard drive enclosure/adapter for about $20. Then you would install the hard drive to the new enclosure/adapter, then plug it into the computer. This will confirm if the hard drive is bad or not. If it is good, then you can take out the data files.

Customer:

when you say the enclosure do you mean the box it is in?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Yes, that's right.

Customer:

ok this is a very girlie question how do you open the thing it is not particularly obvious

Viet - Computer Tech :

what is the exact model of your maxtor?

Customer:

ok on the end it has 2 codes PN:9NZ2D8-500

Customer:

AND SN:2HBAQYPE

Viet - Computer Tech :

let me check

Viet - Computer Tech :

You should see some screws if you peel of the labels

Customer:

NO SCREWS NO LABELS

Customer:

got it

Viet - Computer Tech :

ok,

Customer:

1 screw out but not obvious how to open box

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please see some video instructions at:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+open+maxtor&aq=f

Customer:

I'm in I have a very electronic looking thing out of it's box

Viet - Computer Tech :

yes,

Customer:

it is still attached to the box by the indicator light

Viet - Computer Tech :

You have to remove it from the box; disconnect some cables.

Customer:

ok I have it all out

Viet - Computer Tech :

Then bring the hard drive to your local computer store and ask to buy a USB external hard drive enclosure/adapter for about $20. Then you would install the hard drive to the new enclosure/adapter, then plug it into the computer. This will confirm if the hard drive is bad or not. If it is good, then you can take out the data files.

Customer:

now I get the usb external hard drive adaptor?

Viet - Computer Tech :

yes,

Customer:

how is that going to help as it is only a cover and all the cables really just plug straight in to the hard drive I have taken out of it's case

Viet - Computer Tech :

You use another enclosure/adapter

Viet - Computer Tech :

That is if the current enclosure is bad.

Customer:

really then because the enclosure has no technical significance the extracted hard drive should just work if I connect it up to the power and computer

Viet - Computer Tech :

As I've said, either the enclosure and/or the hard drive is bad.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You don't know, so that's what you have to try

Customer:

I think I need to open it further I have taken off the plastic but there are more scres on a metal casing

Viet - Computer Tech :

oh ok.

Customer:

thanx I have it out

Viet - Computer Tech :

Great!

Experience: Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.