Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.

The screen on my Dell Latitude D620 is dark. The computer is

The screen on my Dell Latitude D620 is dark. The computer is on and I can see faint shadows on the application on the screen. Your help is much appreciated.

Bill Barron
Thank you for choosing I will be glad to assist you today. Sounds like the back light is going out. Can you tell me when you restart the computer does it show the same thing when you see the dell logo or is it bright?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
same problem - can't really see the Dell logo
If I may add because dell was famous for having issues with the LCD inverter can you tell me if the screen ever flickered or did it just go Dim one day?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No flickering; my wife says she intermittently had trouble getting the screen to light up over a period of a few days and then it went dark permanently.
Sounds like the LCD inverter very slim chance it would be the LCD back light. Usually when the LCD back light starts to go out it flickers. You are going to have to have this part replaced.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Got any idea how much this will cost? The Laptop is 5 yrs old. Maybe time for a new laptop?

Dell has always sent there LCD screens with the LCD inverter built in so more than likely if you wanted to do it yourself you would have to go to this link to order the LCD,

Then here are the instructions on video how to replace it.

If not you would have to take it to a computer repair shop to repair this problem. Only if you are not easy about taking it appart.

Usually the parts is cheaper and cheaper to repair it yourself. If you have someone do it, it can get a little costly. That's why I am giving you the alternative option.

The good thing is that it's not to dificult to do the do it yourself task I will also say if you decide to just by the LCD and have someone put it in it's cheaper to do that as well.

If this advice is helpful, please click ACCEPT. It is the only way I will be personally compensated for my time, and it will not affect the amount you have already agreed to pay. A Bonus is optional.