Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.

How do I activate a unlicensed copy of windows 7

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Viet - Computer Tech :

Did you click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Properties, then scroll down and Activate?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Is this a legal copy of Windows 7?

Customer:

no

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please try and let me know.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Is this a legal copy of Windows 7?

Customer:

no

Viet - Computer Tech :

If it's not legal, then you cannot activate.

Customer:

i am on the page & see the product id # XXXXX - now what

Customer:

How to activate an illegal copy is the question I'm trying to ask.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You are asking to do something illegally.

Customer:

no I'm not ! I'm trying to contact the proper site on Microsoft to pay for an activation key to correct a problem I didn't create & so far I'm having no more success here than I did searching Microsoft sites.

Viet - Computer Tech :

The only way is to buy a legal windows copy with product key and reinstall Windows.

Viet - Computer Tech :

What is the brand and model of your computer? Did it have windows xp, vista, or 7 originally?

Customer:

xp

Viet - Computer Tech :

Then you have to purchase a legal windows 7 copy with product key and reinstall Windows 7.

Customer:

I had a hard drive crash & the "tech" who hepled me recover files put this os on my computer, I guess to make it easier to do the recovery. The problem is I can't contact him & now I can't find out how to correct things.

Viet - Computer Tech :

What is the brand and model of your computer?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Do you have the Windows XP / Recovery disk to reinstall Windows XP?

Customer:

Also I don't need proffesional which this copy is for home use, If I buy a new copy of a lesser version, (which is cheaper) will I be able to load it over whats here now without screwing things up even more?

Viet - Computer Tech :

If you want Windows 7, then yes, you can buy cheaper version and load it over

Viet - Computer Tech :

But make sure you backup your files first.

Customer:

yes I do have the xp disc

Viet - Computer Tech :

Then you can use the windows xp disk to reinstall Windows XP.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Customer:

not a national brand It was made locally by a local repair shop it's called "paragon Series

Viet - Computer Tech :

First backup your data files,

Customer:

I use Mozy so I think anything important is there

Viet - Computer Tech :

Then insert the windows xp disk, then turn it off and then turn it on and press the key F1 (or could be F2, Del, or Esc key) when you see the first screen appears on the screen in order to go to BIOS/Setup menu and look for the Boot/Startup option and set the cd/dvd drive as first order and hard disk drive as 2nd order. Then save and exit. Then press any key when asked to boot from the cd/dvd drive... . Then follow instructions to install Windows XP (delete the previous windows).

Customer:

I'm looking on another computer, "the one with the problem" & have wound up on the windows anytime upgrade window it acknowledges that I'm running win 7 prof & suggests win ultimate as an upgrade @ $129.00 which seems like the least expensive thing I can do. Thoughts?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Does it have and option to activate/purchase windows 7 pro?

Customer:

doesn't look like it @ least I haven't found it yet, I'll keep looking

Viet - Computer Tech :

ok.

Customer:

activate yes - purchase no.

Viet - Computer Tech :

please see if you can activate.

Customer:

no it won't & the upgrade to ultimate requires that I activate the existing prof first before the download. Seems like I'm just going aroung in circles with these guys.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Sorry it won't let you activate an illegal copy.

Viet - Computer Tech :

So you either reinstall Windows XP, or buy a Windows 7 disk (or burn).

Viet - Computer Tech :

(buy full version, not upgrade)

Customer:

so do I just go on line somewhere & buy a new copy, install it over what's there now ?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Yes, but you will have to burn it to a disk in order to install.

Customer:

ok sorry I typed that before I saw the end of your last message.

Customer:

I'll get a copy somewhere that comes with a disc. Back to an earlier question before I buy something I can't use, can I load a copy of one of the "home" editions over the prof. without screwing things up.?

Viet - Computer Tech :

I did answer you that, you can load any version and it won't screw up.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Remember to purchase full version of whatever windows 7 edition you buy.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please let me know if there is still any issue later.

Experience: Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.