Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.
33925084

I cant find internet explorer on my computer even though I

Customer Question

I can't find internet explorer on my computer even though I know its there. When I try to re-install a newer version it says it can't because a newer version is installed. HELP!!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Frederick S. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you with this and providing you with the information you need. Please go to your Start menu and in the bottom search box, type

IEXPLORE

and then press ENTER

Does Internet Explorer come up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO
OK, what error appears when you type IEXPLORE and press ENTER?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
WINDOWS CAN NOT FIND IEXPLORER
Hi - you added an extra R at the end... try it again with just IEXPLORE and press ENTER... thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
SETUP CAN NOT CONTIUNE BECAUSE A MORE RECENT VERSION OF INTERNET EXPLORER IS INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER
Had you already tried installing Internet Explorer 9?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did but it did not work woth my office network so I uninstalled it and tryed to put 6 back on. thats when the trouble started
OK... Were you successful at uninstalling IE9? Did it say the removal completed successfully or something along those lines?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It said it but when I tryed to install 6 I got that message.
OK... chances are good that your web browser has been updated to IE8 by Windows Updates automatically... please try downloading IE8 from here for me:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=79154fb4-c610-4a1e-811d-dfe0f1dd84d1

Once downloaded, please try to run the installer and let me know how it goes; thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it says another program is trying to install please wait or uninstall. As far as I know I'm not installing anything
OK... be sure to save that installer to your desktop or another place you can easily access it again, then you'll need to log out of Windows then log back on because apparently the setup process is still running in the background and is not visible..

You can press CTRL + D on your keyboard to bookmark this page or return to justanswer.com and click "My questions" in the top right to let me know how it goes; thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
also i just noticed the other error said ie9 did not finish loading or something like that.
OK; please log out of Windows and then log back on and try running the IE8 installer that you have just downloaded; thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
set up can not contue because a new version of ie is on this computer
OK... if you go to Start menu > Control Panel > Programs and Features... select View installed updates on the left... do you see Internet Explorer or Windows Internet Explorer in the list?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Can you please try uninstalling it from there and let me know what the exact error message is?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
looks like it worked I have to restart computer
OK; let me know how it goes when you get back. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this will take about 5 minutes
No problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Wow that took along time! You want me to try and load IE8 again? You never came back to help me finish this. What you fall asleep? Thanks for all the help you didn't give me !!
Sorry; you said it would take 5 minutes. I was already at my office for 13 hours, so I apologize if I had to leave after 30 minutes.

Once again, please try downloading IE8 from here:

Thanks.