Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
2888018

my computer keeps crashing, with blue screen. I get message

Customer Question

my computer keeps crashing, with blue screen. I get message I have a memory problem and to contact the mfr. (gateway) What to do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 3 years ago.

Aitizaz Ahmad :

Hello and welcome to just answer

Aitizaz Ahmad :

can you tell me the code that you get on the blue screen after the computer crashes

Aitizaz Ahmad :

?

Customer :

there have been several but I didn't copy them , usually a string of fs and 0s and another that starts with SAP

Aitizaz Ahmad :

you get to the desktop when you restart the computer?

Customer :

sometimes I have to try several times, but yes I can get there eventually. I have desktop available now.

Aitizaz Ahmad :

ok

Aitizaz Ahmad :

please give me a minute

Aitizaz Ahmad :

did you install any new software recently?

Aitizaz Ahmad :

after which this thing started happening?

Customer :

Yes, some upgrades, Firefox 4 and IE9 but I was having problems like this before that. Now it's just worse. Firefox won't even open.

Aitizaz Ahmad :

right

Aitizaz Ahmad :

As there are many things which can cause such error, we will have to check them all

Aitizaz Ahmad :

The very first thing to check is a faulty software

Customer :

okay

Aitizaz Ahmad :

2. The second thing to check is any malicious software or a virus

Aitizaz Ahmad :

3. To check the hardware

Aitizaz Ahmad :

do you have windows vista disk?

Customer :

no- jusst the original OS disks which would erase everything

Aitizaz Ahmad :

first try this hot fix from microsoft

Aitizaz Ahmad :

select the appropriate version of the fix, according to your vista installation

Customer :

ok

Customer :

i got hotlink DANGEROUS URL REMOVED but it says it not commonly dowloaded and could harm my computer. ???

Aitizaz Ahmad :

well that is a fix provided by microsoft for this purpose specially

Aitizaz Ahmad :

which one did you download?

Aitizaz Ahmad :

1st, second or the third one

Customer :

none because of the message above.

Customer :

this is the email I recd - I don't see any 1 2 3

Customer :

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

For your convenience, we put the hotfix that you requested on an HTTP site. You can download the hotfix from this site without us filling up your e-mail inbox.

WARNING This hotfix has not undergone full testing. Therefore, it is intended only for systems or computers that are experiencing the exact problem that is described in the one or more Microsoft Knowledge Base articles that are listed in "KB Article Numbers" field in the table at the end of this e-mail message. If you are not sure whether any special compatibility or installation issues are associated with this hotfix, we encourage you to wait for the next service pack release. The service pack will include a fully tested version of this fix. We understand that it can be difficult to determine whether any compatibility or installation issues are associated with a hotfix. If you want confirmation that this hotfix addresses your specific problem, or if you want to confirm whether any special compatibility or installation issues are associated with this hotfix, support professionals in Customer Support Services can help you with that. For information about how to contact support, copy the following link and then past it into your Web browser:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/

For additional support options, please copy the following link and then paste it into your Web browser:

http://support.microsoft.com/

Before you install this hotfix
------------------------------

If you decide to install this hotfix, please note the following items:

Do not deploy a hotfix in a production environment without first testing the hotfix.

Back up the system or the computer that will receive the hotfix before you install the hotfix.

Additional hotfix information
-----------------------------

This hotfix package uses a password. Therefore, you must enter for each package the password XXXXX we included in this e-mail message. To make sure that you enter the correct password, we recommend that you highlight, copy, and then paste the password XXXXX this e-mail message when you are prompted. If you do not enter the correct password, you cannot install the hotfix.

NOTE Passwords are set to expire every seven days. Download the package within the next seven days to make sure that you can extract the files. If there are fewer than seven days left in the password XXXXX cycle when you receive this e-mail message, you receive two passwords. If this is the case, use the first password XXXXX you download the hotfix package before the date in the "Password XXXXX On" field that is listed in the table at the end of this e-mail message. Use the second password XXXXX you download the hotfix package after the date in the "Password XXXXX On" field.

NOTE For your convenience, we send the hotfix location to you in a hyperlink. To connect to this hotfix location, you can click the hyperlink in the "Location" field that is listed in the table at the end of this e-mail message to have your Web browser open that location. However, sometimes e-mail program settings disable hyperlinks. If the hyperlink in this e-mail message is disabled, please copy the hyperlink in the "Location" field and then past it into the address box of your Web browser. Make sure that you include the exact text (without spaces) between the parentheses in the http:// address.

Package:
-----------------------------------------------------------
KB Article Number(s): 976529
Language: All (Global)
Platform: x64
Location: (DANGEROUS URL REMOVED)
Password: %Aa@30f
Password XXXXX On: 04/08/2011
Next Password: DC8Z*wr

NOTE Make sure that you include all the text between "(" and ")" when you visit this hotfix location.

Aitizaz Ahmad :

i mean when you went to the link i provided you, what did u do?

Aitizaz Ahmad :

which one did you download?

Customer :

I only see one and it said it might damage the computer. Should I save it or run it?

Aitizaz Ahmad :

run it please

Customer :

when I try run I get a screen that says it might damage my computer and gives a choice of delete or actions,

Customer :

actions says delete or don't run.

Aitizaz Ahmad :

i am not sure about the working of this piece of software

Aitizaz Ahmad :

so i will opt out here and will allow other experts to help you on this

Aitizaz Ahmad :

thank you very much for coming to just answer

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Generally viruses can cause this type of behavior, regardless as I don't know which tools you've run, I recommend malwarebytes. Its infinitely more thorough than most scanners.

But I'm going to leave you a couple steps to try. Be sure to stop if one resolves the issue, no reason to continue if it does.

First

1) Malwarebytes: Install, run, let it FULL scan, click Show results, click Remove Selected if it finds anything

Download link here:
http://tinyurl.com/3d3ojaq

Download file. You'll have to trust me on this, if you HAVEN'T run this tool, it needs to be run regardless of what third party scanners you use. Right now its the best, XXXXX XXXXX been for awhile.

2) Clear your startup for conflicting programs. The only thing that should be running in your windows startup is your virus scan (which you can leave alone, or re-add later).

Start, in the searchbox type msconfig and hit enter. Click Startup, Uncheck all boxes. If you get a warning, check the box, click ok. Restart.

3) Lastly, and it depends how long the issue, system restore.

Start, searchbox type system restore hit enter. Choose a manual date (show more dates) and roll back to a date where you know it was stable.

Remember to return and click Accept should this resolve the issue, if not, REPLY and we'll continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
still scanning after 1 hr 15 mins
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Means you have a lot of files.

I have to run out for a bit but I will check back with you later to see your progress, and if necessary offer another course of action. Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again,

Sorry for the long delay. Malware scan took over 16 hrs, found and quarantined 8 items.. Should I delete them?

unfortunately problem is not resolved.Comp will crash, then do startup repair and system restore. Restart to complete repair, config updates 1-3, then Windows has recovered. But it hasn't. If I try several operations, it crashes again and cycle begins again. Very frustrating. Still cannot open Firefox, my primary browser. What to do next Jason?

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Ok here's what you need to do. You'll likely want to print these steps out.

Start the computer in safe mode with networking. To do this, right after you turn your computer on, just after the initial splash screen start tapping th F8 key.

This has to be done before anything about Windows begins to load. When done correctly you should see safe mode options. Select Safe mode with networking.

Once in safe mode with networking, do these steps.

Start, in the searchbox. Type inetcpl.cpl and hit enter. Click advanced tab. Click restore advanced settings and click reset underneath. Leave the box unchecked (if there is one) and click reset again.

If you don't see run, start, and in the searchbox type inetcpl.cpl and hit enter.

Run malwarebytes, again, QUick Scan this time, it will not take even close to that long. Click "Show Resolts, and then Remove selected at the end"

Before restarting. Click start, in the searchbox type msconfig and hit enter. Go to the startup tab and uncheck EVERYTHING.

Apply/ok. Try starting in regular windows.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I followed the instructions step by step. I pressed restart and then f8ed until I got option to start in safe mode w networking. Then . . . initialization failed with info stop: 0x oooooo5c (/////////////// - I think 3 specific numbers - they disappeared before I could copy them down.

Then I had to shut the PC down manually, and go thru the startup repair, restore, etc.

So I'm still nowhere. Maybe there's some obvious step I'm missing but I don't know what.

What to do?

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Have you tried restoring back further than just the most recent restore?

Next time your system is stable, try running this one, it targets rootkits.

www.hitmanpro.nl

Has a 30-day trial period, make sure not to purchase it.

If that doesn't resolve it, try restoring to a date further as obviously the one you're restoring to is still trashed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know how to choose a date of a restore. I am not given a choice. Maybe that's the problem.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
There may not be additional restore points available, it depends on how the system is setup.

What did Hitman show in results?

We may have to start exploring recovery options at this point. I'm assuming after you restore you're able to get to the desktop to backup your data to an external drive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have no idea whqt "hitman" is. I have tried to copy things to my external drive. Sometimes it works fine, other times it precipitates a crash. I have saved about half of my desktop. Will try to do the rest. I do have a recovery disk kit. but if I had wanted to do that I would not have contacted JustAnswe. No offense.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I believe you missed a step:

www.hitmanpro.nl

I did post it, but its possible you didn't read it over. Hitman targets rootkits, which could be what you have. And no offense taken, but also understand that there isn't a fix for everything, I can only guide you into the best possible course of action. Recovery being last resort. You came here to explore other options, which is what we're doing.

After the scan, if hitman doesn't produce any results, I would try getting into windows and running a restore there. It should give more available restore points (start, type system restore, hit enter). On the bottom left, you should see "Choose a different restore point" and/or "Show more restore points"

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I ran the hitmanpro, twice. First time it crashed the system. Second time it completed cycle, examining 164,103 files in 12 mins and deleting 43 traces, mainly tracking cookies, andd 2 or 3 malware files.

Should I try the safe mode with networking and inetcpl.cpl now or something else?

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Hmm, I would try hitman again in safe mode with networking. Its concerning that it wasn't stable during its run pass.

IF you can load it. ALso, if finds additional malware, please take note of the names as it might shed some light on me.

I will still consider the restore to a later date from within windows if possible (given that you're still crashing).

Please advise, I may not have much availability today but I WILL get back to you. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I ran hitman again in safe mode with networking. Good news - no threats found. Don't know what I should do next.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Well we could start looking at hardware related issues.

But let's try this.

Go to start, in the searchbox type msconfig and hit enter. Click the Services tab. CLick "Hide microsoft services" bottom left. Click Disable All

Click apply, click ok.

Restart to normal Windows. See if its stable now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for reply. Followed your instructions. Computer once again began with startup repair, restore instructions. On complettion, the screens seemed normal, but still no Firefox. The computer is now operable at a limited level, which is why I can communicate with you. One item that might have some relevance, I don't know.

I have been getting a red vertical line on all screens on the right side, about 80 % to the right side. It isn't visible on email screens, but on all others. Just fyi.

Thx.

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Wonder if the video drivers are part of the issue.

Go to start, in the searchbox type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. Double click display adapters. Read me off whats listed there.

Also give me the make and model of your computer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My computer is a Gateway DX 4300

The display adaptor readout is:

ATI Radeon 3200 graphics

ATI Radeon 4600 Series

While getting this info, I had another crash. I was able to copy the following:

Stop: 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFA600199A94D,

0xFFFFFA60029AEA38, 0xFFFFFA6002(AE410

Volsnap.sys - address

FFFFFA600199A94D base

at FFFFFA6001999000

Datestamp 479198db

It also asid to check w hardware vendor for any BIOS updates and to disable BIos memory options such as caching or shadowing by opening is Safemode and selecting Advance Startup operations and selecting safemode.

I then had to manually restart the comp. and go thru repair and restore to get here.

What say you?

Thanks.

Henri

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Volsnap is a serious error. I'm familiar with it with XP and the way I fixed it was by replacing the file.

Not totally sure how to replace it in vista. Though I find it odd you have multiple video cards of different types listed.

Go back to Devmgmt and right click, click Uninstall both of those video cards.

Then restart and see if it wants you to restore still (try "Last known good configuration if it lets you")

If it lets you back into the system without having to restore, the resolution of the monitor is going to look funky at first. No worries, easy fix, this is just to see if the device drivers for the video card are the root cause.

Be sure no other devices are plugged in for all further testing. All I want plugged into the machine are

Network cable, keyboard, mouse, monitor, power.

Anything else remove.

Let me know if it makes a difference.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have done as suggested. Windows opened and the screen was all rearranged. I restarted and Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool opened and checked Memory Problems.

Again it said Hardware problems detected and to identify and repair I should contact the mfr. That's where I started several days ago.

On restart it reinstalled ATI Radion 4600.

My screen shows about 1/2 of the icons on the desktop.

I don't have any idea what the next step is. The computer seems as unstable as ever.

Are we zeroing in on anything?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I checked further and see that ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics was also reinstalled.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Honestly, no.

You should NOT have two video cards installing unless you have two video cards installed. I would recommend removing one of them if possible. Only you can tell if there's two installed (you'll see two video ports on the back in separate locations). Power down your machine, unplug it from the wall, open the side, and remove one of the video cards. Obviously plug the monitor into the only video card left.

If that doesn't appear to change anything, continue below.

You don't have a windows disk so we can't do an integrity check fully.

Last two things you can do is check for driver errors, and attempt an integrity check without the disk (its anyone's guess if it will request the vista disk, a lot are stored on the system so it doesn't always depending on what's corrupt or missing).

For chkdsk.

Start, in the searchbox type cmd. Wait for it to appear above. Right click it, click Run As Administrator.

Type chkdsk /f

And hit enter. It will say the disk is locked and to schedule a chkdsk at startup, hit Y and hit enter. Restart. Chkdsk should initiatize on next restart.

If that doesn't resolve, move to integrity check.

Same process, run cmd as administrator.

Type sfc /scannow and hit enter.

If it finds any corrupt files or violations it will let you know or it will say none found.

You had viruses, they could have caused damage to the OS that just can't be repaired without a disk. Do the above, and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Although I have never used it, this PC is supposed to have TV available, could that be the reason for the 2 video cards? I don't want to get into the innards w/o knowing it is necessary.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Doubtful.

The majority of PC/Laptop's made in the past 5 years have TV out. It would show duplicate cards if anything, not separate model types.

There should NOT be two video cards in this machine unless you added one yourself. If you have an onboard one (generally high up on the back of the system and vertical) I would prefer we use that one for now to see if an add-on card is causing problems.

You can always put the card right back in if you run into trouble.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I apologize for the long delay in replying to you. I was called out of town unexpectedly and only now got back.

I never installed any additional video card and the unit has run fine since I bought it in Sept. of '09, so I am having trouble believing that this issue is relevant.

The computer is still very unstable and crashes frequently, going thru the usual repair and restore functions, only to crash again.

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Its beyond me why there would be two different cards showing up then.

What's the make/model # of the computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am afraid things have gone from bad to worse. My PC became totally unresponsive. Wouldn't even open in safe mode. I took it to a local shop for a diagnosis and possible repair. I will advise you.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Makes me wonder if the drive is failing.

Chkdsk isn't the end all be all, its just a simple surface scan. Given how much we've put into this I would be very curious of the diagnosis so don't forget about me haha.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry for the loong delay in getting back to you. As stated, I had to take my PC to a computer shop (Data Doctors) for repair, as it had become totally unusable.

There was no drive problem, simply many viruses which had gone undetected by your recommended hitman pro. Also one 2gb ram stick had failed (out of 4.) The video cards were fine, and both had come with the PC when purchased, so removing one would have made no sense.

I regret that this did not work out for either of us. I had actually thought that your service would have used one of the online service tools, to examine my computer.

I do not want to record any dissatisfaction with your help, as you were very responsive, and everyone else was apparently happy with your service. Still, it did no work out and I will be asking for a refund from JustAnswer.

Thanks for your efforts nonetheless.

Henri Pol