Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.

How do I start the recovery partition on Asus Eee

Customer Question

How do I initiate the system recovery on an Asus Eee PC 900?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry Hannell replied 3 years ago.

hello sir/ madam,

you need to press the "F9" repeatedly when the netbook begins booting up to access the Asus Eee recovery program. Click the check mark button at the bottom of the screen below the message informing you that recovering the netbook to its original factory settings will erase all of your personal files and installed programs on the netbook to begin the recovery process. The recovery process will take 10 to 20 minutes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jerry

Sorry the machine does not respond to F9 on boot. There is a EFI partition on the HDD.

Regards
Rob

hello again,

if f9 does not work, please do this:

.

Try using "f2" to get into bios, turn off (disable) boot booster under boot section. Then try f9 again after that.

how to turn off boot booster:

when you are in BIOS, press the "Right Arrow" key on the keyboard until "Boot" is highlighted. Press the "Down Arrow" key on the keyboard until "Boot Booster" is highlighted. Press "Enter," and then use the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight "Disabled." Press "Enter" to disable the "Boot Booster" program. Press "F10" to save your changes to the "BIOS Setup Utility" program and restart your Asus Eee. and try the f9 key again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jerry

Boot booster in bios was disabled, but I changed it to enable then back to disabled, saved and exit. still F9 does not take me into recovery.

Regards
Rob

hi again,

are you pressing the f9 button repeatedly?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jerry

Yes indeed, with no response whatsoever, machine continues to boot into windows.

Rob

have you tried to recover your Asus eee by using the CD?

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jerry

No, two reasons, one I do not have a recovery CD and two the netbook does not have a built in CD. I do have an external CD but my only opion would be to install a clean copy of windows XP with none of the original Asus tools or software supplied. This would create lots of driver issues and is not a good option.

Regards
Rob

hello again,

i am out of ideas, let me opt-out now, and redirect this problem to another expert.

if nobody opts-in back, we can continue again.

Regards

Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.

The ASUS recovery CD would install the original Asus tools and software. (A recovery disk is different than a regular windows disk).

You can click here to request a recovery disk from ASUS. If ASUS does not have it, please click here.

Thanks,
-Viet
Experience: Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Viet

With the recovery disk, I still do not have the information as to how the initiate the recovery procedure. This was my initial question. You seem to be saying that a recovery cannot be performed from a HDD partition and I must use an external CD/DVD and the disk.

Regards
Rob
You would go to the BIOS using F2 when turning on the computer and set the Boot/Startup option to USB/external devices first and Hard disk drive 2nd, then save and exit. Then follow instructions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi

You are not even close. Asus provide a tools disk which, after making certain changes in BIOS you boot from the Tools disk which then gives you the recovery option and this recovers a Norton Ghost Image from an HDD partition.
Not a bit like most other machines and this therefore convinces me that you do not know the answer, all you are doing is guessing based on most standard machines. At least Jerry gave up.
This brings me to the point that your organisation took the £12 balance on 5th April before any acceptance by me. I did on the morning of 6th accept that your answer had been helpful but my response made it very clear that the problem was far from resolved. In short, not very impressed, especially as it looks as if you take the total money no matter what happens.
Rob
Sorry about that. JustAnswer.com guarantees our service. You can get refund at http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund. Sorry about this time, but please come back to JustAnswer.com next time for any other computer issue. We guarantee our service.

Thanks,
-Viet