Mark
Mark, Consultant
Experience:  Windows and Linux - Networking, Design, and Administration
31474244

norton suite not working wont let me delet in control panel

Customer Question

norton suite not working won't let me delet in control panel and will not reinstall. also will not allow me to print.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello.

Mark :

How is it preventing you from deleting in control panel? What are you trying to delete?

Customer :

I am trying to uninstall norton but it won't go past the prompt.

Mark :

You will need to run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product

Mark :

These steps will guide you on how to download and use that tool

Mark :

Once completed, Norton will be completely removed from your system

Customer :

Ok. Where is this toll located?

Mark :

This link

Customer :

I am not able to go to the site Norton is blocking it.

Mark :

What happens when you try to remove Norton from the control panel?

Customer :

when I right click on it and get the uninstall/change window and left click on it does nothing.

Mark :

Can you download this link?

Customer :

No.

Mark :

We're going to have to disable Norton first then.

Mark :

Please try this:

1. Go to the "Start" menu, click "All Programs," select "Norton Internet Security" and click on "Norton Internet Security" in the menu again.
2. Click on "User Accounts" in the left section of the window. Check who you are logged on as (in case there are several users of your computer). If you are logged in as an administrator, move on to Step 3; if you are not logged in as a administrator, log off and log in again with an account that has administrative privileges.
3. Click on "Status & Settings" in the left-hand section of Norton Internet Security and select "Security."
4. Click "Turn Off" and close the window.

Customer :

Norton wont let me bring it up by any method. I have tried from the on screen icon and from the start menu. do you have any other suggestions?

Mark :

What happens if you try right-clicking in icon in the system tray, next to your clock?

Customer :

There is no icon on screen or system tray.

Mark :

Do you see a triangle instead?

Customer :

No. Only the Norton Icon on desk top.

Mark :

I am going to go ahead and opt out of this to allow another expert to further look into this issue.

Mark :

Please take care.

Customer :

Tried norton power eraser. It didn't work.

Customer :

Would it help if I down load and use msdos, and comand prompts?

Customer :

If I buy mcafee will it remove norton security suite?

Mark :

Buying McAfee will not remove Norton, nor will dos or additional command prompts.

Mark :

The best you can do is to download the aforementioned tool from a different computer, copy it to disc or memory stick, and then install it on this computer.

Mark :

Then you should be able to run it and fully remove Norton.

Mark :

Hope this helps.