Brad
Brad, Computer Technician
Experience:  20 + years, cert. Win NT, xp, vista Windows 7, Net sec
669790

My computer will not recognize my usb wireless lan adapter.

Customer Question

My computer will not recognize my usb wireless lan adapter. It work before, now it just quit working.

My OS is Windows 7.

I have a 1394 Code 10 error
Category: Computer
Expert:  Brad replied 3 years ago.
DOes it show up in device manager?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it shows up in the device manager... says it is "functioning properly"
Expert:  Brad replied 3 years ago.
Right click on it and select remove or uninstall and reboot the computer and see if it comes back. If it does and works we are good if not we have to try some other things.
Brad, Computer Technician
Experience: 20 + years, cert. Win NT, xp, vista Windows 7, Net sec
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it did not come back
Expert:  Brad replied 3 years ago.
What is the make and model of the adapter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Belkin F5D8053 N Wireless USB Adapter
Expert:  Brad replied 3 years ago.

With the device plugged in go here

http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/464/~/f5d8053-n-wireless-usb-adapter---drivers

Download and install the drivers for windows 7. Let me know what happens

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
..... i guess i will have to put it on a disk.... I am using a different computer.... the belkin is the connection to the internet and it is not working
Expert:  Brad replied 3 years ago.
You can put it on a USB drive and move it that way. IF the driver wont install then you will know that the adapter is bad. If you have a wired network connection you can hook the computer up to that and get the driver too.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
started the exe file. screen at "pls attach device". the computer does not recognize/see the adapter. It see it on the device manager but it will not work. I tried another adapter and that one does not work either. It will load the driver, but will not "find" it to complete the install
Expert:  Brad replied 3 years ago.
Exit the setup and reboot the computer, Check the device manager for it. When you installed it was it in the usb port or did you add it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
did not work. when i did the install, i connected the device when cued. It is in the device manager... it reflects new software
Expert:  Brad replied 3 years ago.
So what happens when you try and use it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nothing it will not make the bridge to my wireless network. The computer knows the device is installed, but it will not let it do its job. I checked the connectivity and i can't get the device to enable there. It was working before now it does not. The only change made to the computer was physical location.
Expert:  Brad replied 3 years ago.

IS there any error codes when you try?

Another thing that you can do is go back in time using restore and see if that brings it back.

See this article

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No back up... guess that will learn me
Expert:  Brad replied 3 years ago.
You dont need a backup to do a restore. You wont lose any data, just some programs and since you only physically moved the computer from one spot to another, you did not add anything to it. So I would run the restore to the day before you moved it and you will know. Of course you could try moving it back and see if something is sending out a field that is interfering with the device, or it could be coincidence. The other thing that you can do is try other usb ports on the machine or go to device manager again and remove all the usb ports and reboot. That will tell you if it is the USB ports instead of the adapter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its alive! I guess the last update was not compatible with the driver. Other than avoid the update, what do I need to do to keep my computer updated... should i update the BIOS...
Expert:  Brad replied 3 years ago.
Usually you dont update the BIOS unless there is an issue or a correction. Do you know what version your BIOS is?