Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I am trying to connect my PC to my Dynex HDTV. I have the

Customer Question

I am trying to connect my PC to my Dynex HDTV. I have the proper cables. The tv screen is white with blue snow and says "no signal". What do I need to do to use the TV as a monitor?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Viet - Computer Tech :

Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Do you have a laptop or desktop?

Viet - Computer Tech :

First, so you plug in the VGA cable from the TV to the computer, and press the Input button on the remote (top left button), then select VGA, and press Enter.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Then you can turn on the computer if it is a desktop

Viet - Computer Tech :

If it's a laptop, turn it on. Then when it's logged in Windows, press at the same time the two keys Fn and the monitor key (usually located at either the F1 to F12 key) to switch the display.

Viet - Computer Tech :
Viet - Computer Tech :

Please let me know how it goes. Thank you.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Also, click here for the tv manual on page 10 if needed for how to connect to computer.

Customer:

xp, laptop,

Customer:

do we need thed remote to accomplish this?

Viet - Computer Tech :

No, we don't.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Can you try my suggestions above?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Viet - Computer Tech :

It's a laptop, so use the Fn and the monitor key.

Customer:

after selecting VGA, do I press "enter" on the computer? Do we need to be on a certain TV channel?

Customer:

do I need to be off the computer to press the Fn keys or can I do that while I am on-line with you?

Viet - Computer Tech :

no

Viet - Computer Tech :

You use the TV remote

Viet - Computer Tech :

and use the Input button and select VGA and press Enter on the remote

Viet - Computer Tech :

AFter this, you can use the Fn keys now

Customer:

we don't have the remote; trying to fi nd it

Viet - Computer Tech :

oh ok

Viet - Computer Tech :

you can see if you can use the buttons on the TV

Customer:

there is not an enter button on the tv. we have tried all the buttons there are the volume, channel, menu , input and power buttons. we have tried them all; looking for reomote

Customer:

found it. now, do Ineed to turn off my computer to do the first step?

Viet - Computer Tech :

no

Viet - Computer Tech :

don't turn off the computer

Viet - Computer Tech :

so did you select the VGA option?

Customer:

Do I need to adjust the pixel size for the screen?

Viet - Computer Tech :

no,

Viet - Computer Tech :

maybe

Viet - Computer Tech :

but not yet

Customer:

yes. all we needed it the remote and to know to press enter. the screen is working! :)

Customer:

our laptop doesn't have a Fn key. this is an old laptop

Viet - Computer Tech :

oh that's strange

Viet - Computer Tech :

how about at bottom left of the keyboard?

Customer:

yes it is on bottom left of keyboard

Viet - Computer Tech :

great

Viet - Computer Tech :

but you have to do the first step on the tv first

Customer:

the computer screen is showing up on the tv screen now. do I still need to do tv steps and if so what are they?

Viet - Computer Tech :

oh, that's it then

Viet - Computer Tech :

If it is on the TV , then it's fine

Customer:

do I need to adjust pixels for best screen quaility?

Viet - Computer Tech :

You can do that on the computer and see

Viet - Computer Tech :

Go to Start->control panel->display, then click on the Settings tab, then change the screen resolution.

Customer:

All done. Thanks so much for your help.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You're welcome. Please click on Accept if you are satisfied and please leave positive feedback.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com. Please come back next time for any other computer issue.

Experience: Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.