Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer
Experience:  17 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Printer and network
21913621

I have a Dell dimension 4450 after openning the case and cleaning

Customer Question

I have a Dell dimension 4450 after openning the case and cleaning the computer it will not power on and bootup. There is a geen light on the mother board but no other light on the computer. the cooling fans come on and run Also an XXXXX XXXXXghts come on on the dvd drive then goes off then nothing except the cooling fans continue to run. the computer booted and operated before I did the clening but was ver slow.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Christopher Bessler replied 3 years ago.

Christopher Bessler :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer! I will make every effort to assist you. If you have any questions after reading my posts feel free to ask me!

Christopher Bessler :

The green lights on the motherboard indicate that power is getting to it.

Christopher Bessler :

Make sure that you did not pull or disconnect the CMOS battery.

Christopher Bessler :

Also, on the back of the computer there should be 4 indicator lights labeled A, B, C, and D.

Christopher Bessler :

If you can tell me if they are lit and which ones, it should help.

Christopher Bessler :

You appear to be offline.

Christopher Bessler :

In the mean time I will switch this to a Q&A format question so you can come back to it at any time. I will also be notified when you make a posting.

Let me know...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The A B And C lights on back of the computer are all dark.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The CMOS baterry has also been pulled in an effort to reset the BIOS.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Also have checked the PS voltages they were +11.5. +5.0 and +3.3 did not find and negative voltages. When I reclosed the computer cabinet and pushed the power on Button I got a small electrical components burings smell but no noise or pop. there are no signals of an electrical component failure on any of the boards. Did not open the power supply and check. I have installed new ram memory (2 Megs) in the computer since it only had 256K and was very slow.
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.

That indicates a serious hardware issue.

• Ensure that the cables are properly connected from the hard drive, CD drive, and DVD drive to the system board.
  • If the problem persists, see "Contacting Dell" in your Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance

You will need to call Dell 1-877-293-1197.

I am sorry, I wish I had better information for you!

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated

Please bookmark my site http://bit.ly/the-hi-techs so you can contact me directly when you have a new question. Thank you

Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer
Experience: 17 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Printer and network
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when you say serious hardware problem what do you have in mind? I have clicked the accept button. Thanks for the effort.
There is no way to know.

The error message you are seeing means that the computer knows there is a hardware issue, but isn't sure what it is. From here Dell will have to diagnose the hardware, and most likely replace it.

Thanks! And I wish I could give you better results!