Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Why does my Modem Internet keeps shutting off

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.
Hello My Friend,

Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician who will assist you today.

How many laptops and dekstops computer do you have?

Does this happen on laptop or desktop? (IF you have both of those)

Which antivirus do you have on the computer? norton, mcafee?

Since how long are you facing this issue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have 1 laptop (connected by wif)
I have 1 PS3 (connected by wifi) NEAR THE LAPTOP
I have 1 iPod touch (connected by wifi)
I have 1 Desktop computer ( connected by Ethernet)
They all have Norton protection
it happens on all computers.
Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.
Could you please tell me the make of the router? linksys, netgear, belkin
Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.
Please remove norton security from the desktop computer once as under:

Please click start, click control panel, click Programs and Features.(Add or Remove if you have windows xp).

Now, please restart your computer and then check.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It didn't work at all its still doing the samething.
Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.
Did you recieve any cd with this 2wire device?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I have not it was an local install soon as you connect it you run it on your pc from the modem.
Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.
since how long are you using this gateway modem/router?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've had it over a 4 years and its been doing this a lot but now its getting very annoying.
Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.
Have you contacted ATT at:

For technical support of this DSL Gateway, please call 1-877-722-3755 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-877-722-3755 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

If they are not able to help, m
y recomendation would be to use it only as a bridge and buy a wrt54gs router (linksys) for 60 bucks, and you will have wifi and full routing services.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have contacted them and I don't want to have to buy new parts
Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.
Please go to store and purcase a separate wrt54gs router (linksys) for 60 bucks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Still didn't work I am not sure what to do anymore it keep getting this

DSL Error?
Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.
Have you purchased a separate wrt54gs router (linksys)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Sandy replied 3 years ago.
Have you connected this to your 2Wire DSL Gateway Model 2701HG-B to linksys?
Please call up your ISP( 1-877-722-3755 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-877-722-3755 end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-877-722-3755 end_of_the_skype_highlighting) and ask them to provide you a simple modem instead of this 2Wire DSL Gateway Model 2701HG-B. If they are not agreed, please scold them and want them to cancel your account.

Please tell them that you have linksys router.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

Im sorry.. I had to step in..

the very first thing we should have done here. is reset the modem.

please reset the modem.. replacing the modem, is not on the list, tuill we have reseet, tested, uploaded firmware, tested.

Im willing to wager, a reset is all we need though..

Heres how.

With the router powered on.. Turn the router around.. There is a small small hole.. Inside that hole is a reset button..

You will need something small like an unfolded paperclip, or, sometimes the tip of an inkpen will work.

Press into the hole, and press the reset button inside the hole untill the routers lights flash at once for a second together, then go out..

Once this is done, unplug the router, then plug it back in ( power cord)

The router will be reset.

Then.. i want you to tell me. if when you plug into the 2wire directly..

if your internet still drops..

does the dsl light stay solid now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

DSL Failed to Connect
The system’s internal DSL modem does not currently detect a DSL signal or is having problems connecting.

To restore your Internet connection:
Verify that the telephone cable is still properly connected between a working wall jack and the system port labeled PHONE LINE.

If your system is connected to a DSL phone filter, make sure it is connected to the jack labeled DSL/HPNA.

Make sure that ALL phones, answering machines, or other devices which connect to a phone jack have a DSL phone filter attached.
If you have never had a working DSL Internet connection, it’s possible your DSL service has not yet been turned on. Contact your Internet service provider for assistance.

If you still do not have Internet connectivity after checking the above, click on the "Check Connection" button below.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
I see your reply..

You didnt state.. Was you able to find the reset button on your 2wire modem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I already reseted it before
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Just to clarify.. you have already reset the modem, by pressing and holding the reset button,, and your dsl light stil isnt solid?

Question, have you tried different phone cords.. and different phone outlets in the house.

?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I have even different computers and still I get same error cutting off every 15 minutse or longer
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.

Hmm.. question..

have you, or your isp, upgraded the firmware?

Because.. plain and simple.. after a reset..

If your losing connection like that..

Its either, the modem actually is bad.

Or.. theres to much interference or attenuation on the dsl line .Meaning, its either your internal house line, or most likely, the connection to the isp server.

Honestly.. Ive installed and configured a lot of home networks, and larger networks in my time. But im very familiar with that dsl modem, i had one of those exact models with embarq about two years ago.

The issue. i would immediately have the isp give me a replacement modem. and then if in any way you lose connection more then once or twice a day.

Then they need to come out and test your lines, and test their lines going from your house to the main node..

Getting a different linksys router isnt going to help.. Your issue, is not with your computer, or your wirless connection..

Its with the modem itself , your house lines, or your connection to the node.

Please click accept to show I have assisted you.

If you still need assistance, You can reply to this message at any time.

Thanks!