DRobertson
DRobertson, Consultant / Technician
Experience:  MCTS, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+, 20+ years in IT. Support for OEMs. Computer repair business owner.

The computer is a HP SLimline s7700n. It does not power on.

Customer Question

The computer is a HP SLimline s7700n. It does not power on. When power is applied and the power button is pushed the power indicator turns yellow and no other activity occurs.
Category: Computer
Expert:  DRobertson replied 3 years ago.

Intro:

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers.

We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

-----------------------------------------------

Good morning.

I saw your posting and would like to try and help.

I need to start by asking you some questions about this issue:

When did this issue first appear to start, in regard to time frame?

When you state about the yellow light, is that STICTLY while you hold the power button in?

Was the unit working ok right before this issue presented itself?

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It started this morning. It gave me a little trouble 2 days ago but this morning it would not start up. When the power button is pushed the light comes on and does not go out. but there is no other activity. It is as though it is stuck in standby. The only way to get it to go off is to unplug it.

Ok and thank you.

Lets try a couple of points:

First press in and allow to get the power light on. Now press in the power button and keep held until the unit goes off or you count to 20.

If that does not resolve this issue, then unplug the unit and leave unplugged for 20 min then plug back in and see if the unit will power up normally. I suggest this due to a internal fuse reset that the PS has located in it that will reset sometimes if unplugged.

Thanks and I am here if you need more help.

God bless.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The above did not resolve the issue. What did resolve the issue was plugging a keyboard into the PS2 port. I had been using a USB keyboard.

Good morning.

While I am always happy when an issue is resolved for a client, I must admit I am confused.

I might have misunderstood but I thought this issue was about your system not powering up. What would the keyboard have to do with this issue?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I also do not understand this. Like I said it appeared to come up in standby. Once it came all the way up I removed the PS2 keyboard and it still continued to work. I plug the keyboard in thinking I would hit a key and it would come out of stanby but never touched a key on the keyboard and it came right up to the blue light instead of the yellow.

Thanks for trying

Well at least the good Lord once again has delivered us from a hardship.

God bless and have a great day.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well today it did not work with the keyboard. SO there is still an issue. This happen when it has been off all day or all night. Another odd thing. After shutting down the PC I turned off the power strip. When I turned it on this evening the PC would not power up even to the yellow light until I unplugged it at the power supply and plugged it back in. Then it powered on to the yellow light. SInce it was off all day and then it would not come up I don't think leaving it off 20 minutes will help.