Engineer John C., Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  Computer Science Engineer with 10 years of experience in Computer Support, and Microsoft, A+ and Cisco certified
23822421

I am installing a Canon PIXMA MG5220 Printer, wirelessly, to

Customer Question

I am installing a Canon PIXMA MG5220 Printer, wirelessly, to a Dell Inspiron running Windows XP Version 2. My router is a Westell 7500. I have things set at their defaults: e.g., SSIP/WEP are enabled, MAC is disabled, and so on.

The printer sees my Network (to which the computer is connected, automatically, and with which it is functionally working). I have typed in the password XXXXX the printer says it is AOK---connected.

When I try to install the Canon printer drivers, the installation software tells me that it cannot find the printer.

When I try to add a printer through the computer's Control Panel, it does not see the printer. I have tried to find it by searching, by name, and by IP address; none work.

So, it seems I have a connected computer and a connected printer, but, somehow, they cannot find one another---a transitivity problem. This also happened with a previous printer from HP that I tried to install, with the same results.

?Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim

Optional Information:
Computer OS: Windows XP
Browser: IE
Category: Computer
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 3 years ago.
Please remember to scroll down and click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if we solve the issue, for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us, and even if you see the holding charge in your credit/debit account I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Please follow the steps below:

1- Make sure the printer is turned on

2- On your Windows XP computer, click Start

3- Then click Control Panel, and then "Printers"

4- Now click "Add a printer" on the left

5- Click Next

6- Select "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer"

7- Click Next

8- Select "Browse for a printer" and click Next

9- Select your printer and click Next

10- Follow the prompts to finish the installation

11- Wait 60 seconds, then try to print

12- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

13- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HI John,

This is our second time 'round the block. If you can read my question, I am trying to help you find the answer---I did what you indicate above, but the OS cannot find the Canon printer. It has the usual host of icons, but definitely Canon-free! : )

Thanks,
Tim
OK, thank you!. Please follow ALL the steps on guide below:

Click here to download the guide ---> http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/pdf/wireless/setup_MG5220_win.pdf

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi John,

I did those steps to the letter. On Page 16, following Step 7, I do not see the Canon printer listed on the graphic for Step 8. And this is the case even though in all previous steps, I had complete and uniform success, by the book.

Thanks,
Tim
Ok. On page 11, step 9. Did you get the "Connected to the access point" message from the printer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. That had me pretty excited.

John, I am about to go to dinner and will be back in an hour. Whatever you need, I can get, so please stick with me. I know computers pretty well.

Thanks,
Tim
OK. Please install the software again from the "problematic" computer and select "wireless" or "networked" printer when prompted. If you don't have the original CD please let me know. If no luck, please follow the steps below:

1- Turn off your wireless router (and unplug it from the electricity outlet if it does not have a power button) BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART, and click Accept if the issue is solved (that's the only way I can get paid for my effort. Thank you)

2- Turn off your internet modem (if you have one) and unplug it from the electricity outlet

3- Turn off your computer(s)

4- Turn off your wireless printer(s)

5- Wait 60 seconds

6- Turn them all ON again.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 minutes please)

8- Try to install the printer again.

9- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

10- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, John,

The reinstall has not worked; I have tried it a few times. So, tomorrow I will go through the shutdowns you recommend.

Two quick items that may help: (1) I have access to the (Verizon) Web-based router checking/changing screens; and (2) you do not have to worry about me hitting the green "Accept," once we are out of the woods. (My only concern is that I might punch it accidentally! : )

Have a good evening,
Tim
OK, please me posted tomorrow or when you have time. Thank you!!

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi John,

Sorry that took so long. I am just rampant-busy at work.

I followed your instructions to the letter and get the same issue. The printer is indeed connected to the network, but Windows seems not to be able to find it.

Any other ideas?

Kind thanks,
Tim
OK. Please follow the steps below again:

1- Make sure the printer is turned on

5- Click Next

7- Click Next

9- Select your printer and click Next

11- Wait 60 seconds, then try to print

12- Does it work now?

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John,

Thanks for getting back to me!

Yup, last night I tried that but the Canon printer does not show on the list. It looks like the default set of Microsoft printers. It lists MSHOME and WORKGROUP, then shows a bunch of "printers," none of which is the Canon. I have tried (but did not try, last night) to put the IP address that the printer lists itself as using in the XP "find printers" dialogs, but that has not worked, either. I can try it again, if you wish, plus share the list of visible printers when I get home (late tonight). Any other ideas?

Thanks again,
Tim
Yes, please try again with the IP address. Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi John,

The IP address did not work. I am using the IP address that the printer says it is connected to.

Some additional information: I tried to install a printer before this (an HP) and had the same problem. In that case, I successfully connected it to my Mac, so I am assuming this is indeed a problem with the XP machine. Right now, with this (Canon) printer, I am just installing it for the Windows machine--will try the Mac only after I get the Windows machine squared away.

On the WIndows machine, the "Printers" I see on the Printers and Faxes screen are Fax, Intuit Internal Printer, Microsoft Office Document Image Writer, and Microsoft XPS Document Writer, which has a checkmark above it.

When I use the Add Printer Wizard and Browse for a Printer, the Shared Printers that show up are Microsoft Windows Network and MSHOME (not WORKGROUP and MSHOME, which I erroneously reported, above).

Thanks,
Tim
OK, when you follow the PDF guide, do you get the "Connected to the access point" messa from the printer? (page 11 of the guide). Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John,

Yes, I get that---I noted that above. The printer says it is active/connected. But let me, tomorrow, disconnect and reconnect it to the network, just to be sure.

By the way, if I ping it's IP address (which I can do from other machines), should it respond?

Thanks,
Tim
OK Tim, please keep me posted! :-) Also try disabling the antivirus and the firewall on the 'problematic' computer, then restart it, then try re-adding the printer again. Thank you

John Cappucci