Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I am trying to connect my Kobo eReader to my computer (Windows7

Customer Question

I am trying to connect my Kobo eReader to my computer (Windows7 Starter, Intel Pentium 4 Processor, 32-bit Operating System and 1.00 GB of installed memory). Every time I try to connect it, my computer states: "USB Device Not Recognized, device has malfunctioned". I tried troubleshooting and the computer is not able to fix it due to a "problem with the device driver". I replaced my original Kobo eReader on Friday because of this problem but the new one does exactly the same thing and everytiime I try to install it, a USB Mass Storage device appears in my "Devices and Printers" window and it has "needs troubleshooting" status - troubleshooting does not resolve the issue - I just get "not fixed". I have been in contact with the KOBO Care Center and they are unable to reslove the issue so wondered if you know of something that I could try that might get my computer to install the Kobo Device Driver (my system shows that it is compatible with the Kobo driver). My computer just seems to have a "mental block" when it comes to my Kobo!

Thanks!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 5 years ago.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Viet - Computer Tech :

You have windows 7 right?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Does another USB device, like USB drive or USB flash drive work on your computer?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Can you click here, then click on Run now, to try the automatic hardware/USB fix from Microsoft website?

Customer:

Yes, I have Windows 7 and our other USB devices work on the computer. I clicked on "Fix It" and "run now" and my USB device still says it" requires troubleshooting", "unknown device not working properly" and "stopped device Code 43".

Viet - Computer Tech :

That's really strange.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Sorry I have no further suggestions, let me open your question to other experts.

Customer:

Thanks

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please do not wait, another expert will email you if he has any other suggestion. Thanks.

Expert:  DRobertson replied 5 years ago.

Intro:

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers.

We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

-----------------------------------------------

Good morning.

I saw your posting and would like to try and help.

The "device Code 43", does in of itself, indicate that Windows is getting a notice that the device is malfunctioning. Now being you have used a second one and get the same message, this lends to a question I have: Have you used a different cable for the second device check?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't know whether I ever got a "Code 43" with the first Kobo eReader I had but did with the second one when I ran "Fix-It" however both Kobo readers came with their own separate cord so the new one it's own cord and I have tried plugging them into different USB ports. With both Kobos I got the Status: needs troubleshooting and the problem could not be fixed by troubleshooting.

Thank you for continuing to work on my problem. I have to head out for a couple of hours but will get back to you as soon as I can.

Thank you for the feedback and I am always happy to be helping out a client.

Since we now know we have two separate units and cords, this almost 100% eliminates a hardware issue with their unit.

Let me ask this: Your Windows 7 Starter Edition, is that 32-bit or 64-bit?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is a 32 bit. The Kobo has been plugged in and unplugged so many times from the computer without using "eject" because the computer doesn't recognize it, could I have inadvertently caused a problem removing it from the computer without the "OK to eject"?

Willl be back in about an hour. Thanks!

Thanks for the info, and take your time. I will be here until approx 16:30 my time - which is USA central time.

Unplugging and such can cause issues, but USUALLY, what will happen to a user on their device is the device will "loose" all data stored on that unit. This does not appear to be our issue here.

I do need to ask this: When you plug in to any USB port, does Windows still try to find a driver and install each time, or did you notice that the first time in each USB port and now none do such?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I honestly can't remember because I have done it so often - sometimes the computer shows "ereader" in the "devices" section of "devices and printers" along with our other devices (monitor, mouse); sometimes it appears as a small device labeled as a "storage device" in that same section;sometimes it appears as a very large "mass storage device" in a section all by itself labeled "unspecified" - it doesn't matter which section it is "stored" in, it always shows "Status: needs troubleshooting". Whenever I plugged either of the Kobos in to the computer, the Kobo itself always says "connected" and the computer makes the "da-dum" sound.

Am here now for the rest of the morning so will check back frequently - I am on Pacific Daylight time. Thanks!

I am going to open this to other experts, so that you can get more devoted response times from another.

I am having many client's at once right now, and I am finding myself not able to devout enough time like I should to your question.

God bless.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks and have a great day!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I still need help. No one has been able to solve why my Kobo e-reader keeps getting a "Status: troubleshooting" when trying to download it onto my computer and "Fix It" does not fix-it. I look forward to someone being able to solve my problem!<br /><br />I am trying to connect my Kobo eReader to my computer (Windows7 Starter, Intel Pentium 4 Processor, 32-bit Operating System and 1.00 GB of installed memory). Every time I try to connect it, my computer states:   "USB Device Not Recognized, device has malfunctioned". I tried troubleshooting and the computer is not able to fix it due to a "problem with the device driver". I replaced my original Kobo eReader on Friday because of this problem but the new one does exactly the same thing and everytiime I try to install it, a USB Mass Storage device appears in my "Devices and Printers" window and it has "needs troubleshooting" status - troubleshooting does not resolve the issue - I just get "not fixed".   I have been in contact with the KOBO Care Center and they are unable to reslove the issue so wondered if you know of something that I could try that might get my computer to install the Kobo Device Driver (my system shows that it is compatible with the Kobo driver). My computer just seems to have a "mental block" when it comes to my Kobo!<br /><br />Thanks!<p> </p>