Santonu
Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Diploma in Hardware
13934950

my computer wont download anything from the internet

my computer won't download anything from the internet.  Ive changed my security settings for the internet to default settings - i have vista and internet explorer, and when I try to download it pretends to download but then it just disappears, I try to save to desktop or download folder and it isn't there it disappears.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.

Please use the following steps and let me know results

A In Internet Explorer, click Tools->Internet Options

Click Delete under Browsing History

Select the first four check boxes, click Delete

Click Advanced tab.

Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset. Then click Reset again.

Click Close

Restart Internet Explorer

B
If the problem remains, start Internet Explorer without any add-ons

Close any open Internet Explorer window (this is very important, you need to close all open IE window)

Click Windows icon (Start)-> All Programs-> Accessories-> System Tools-> Internet Explorer (No add-ons)

It will open Internet Explorer without any add-ons

Now try to download any file. If it able to download the file now, then the problem can be due to one of the add-ons.

Click Tools-> Manage Add-ons

In the left pane, click Toolbars and Extensions

On the right pane, select the listed add-ons and click Disable (for each)

Once the add-ons are disabled, restart Internet Explorer, test the issue

C If the problem remains, then open Internet Explorer

Click Tools->Internet Options

Click Security tab

Uncheck the checkbox Enable Protected Mode

graphic

Click Apply and Ok

Restart Internet Explorer, test the issue and let me know results.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I pretty much tried step A above before but tried it again, it didn't work and neither did B or C, any more suggestions? Gosh this is frustrating.
Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
Lets test with a different browser. Use the following link to download Firefox

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Click Free Download

If you get the option to Save or Run, select Run

It will first download and then install Firefox

Once installed, start Firefox and test the issue.

If it does not help, let me know from when this problem started, like after installing any new software ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can't download - did try though - would not run or save firefox pretends to download but never completes - like everything else.

As for when problem started just recently I noticed it like 2 weeks ago, tried to fix on own and then found your site to ask. We moved awhile back and this is a desktop computer, and because of where the internet is placed this desktop had to be wireless so I ordered an adapter that never came and I finally picked up a cisco valet connecter and have wireless. Before moving though I do remember doing an update of the AVG antivirus and did a trial run of their AVG PC Tuneup, but I couldn't tell you if before we moved we had problems or not, I don't think we used it for very long before we moved.

Expert:  Santonu replied 3 years ago.
Most of the times, when you reset Internet Explorer settings or start Internet Explorer without any add-ons, it should resolve the problem related to download. Since the problem remain after using the above steps, there is a possiblity that your antivuirus/security software is causing the problem.

The following options can be tried next:

1 Try to restore the system to a previous restore point

Click the Windows icon (Start) button-> All Programs-> Accessories-> System Tools-> System Restore. Click on Choose a different restore point, and click Next.
You will see a list of restore points.
If you find the date when the computer worked properly then click on it and click Next. Otherwise click on the check box Show restore point older than 5 days, and then select your preferred date.
The system restore will take a while to complete, when it does, your computer will restart automatically.

2 If system restore does not help Or no restore points are listed, uninstall AVG from Control Panel-> Programs-> Uninstall a program.

You can also use AVG Removal Tool to completely remove every trace of AVG from the system.

As you are unable to download anything from the affected computer, you may need to download the removal tool from a working computer.

Use the following link to download AVG Removal Tool

http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools

(download AVG Remover 32 Bit)

Once downloaded, move it to the affected computer and run the tool

When completed, restart computer. When it starts again, reset Internet Explorer once more:

In Internet Explorer, click Tools->Internet Options

Click Advanced tab.

Click Close

Restart Internet Explorer

Done that, try to download any file and let me know results

Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Diploma in Hardware
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
System restore was tried a long time ago. and didnt work. I did however get it to work after I removed the AVG by downloading the tool.. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX of deleting the avg and did however it must not have completely removed somehting. cuz now I can download .