Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I cant get my webcam to work on my hp pavilion entertainment

Customer Question

I can't get my webcam to work on my hp pavilion entertainment notebook pc
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

robert :

What exactly do you mean by wont work ?

robert :

does it install ?

robert :

what program are you trying to use it with ?

Customer :

quick play, but that doesn't even work at the moment

Customer :

are you there?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

Sorry had a slight problem here.

From what i can find quickplay was a dog that hp wants to forget it every created. And im not even sure where it would use the webcam as its a media player not really a recorder.

Download skype

www.skype.com

see if the webcam will work with that.

If you want to try to get the quickplay working we can try but either i am looking at the wrong program or there is a different version. I admit i just glanced at it but i dont see where it would use the webcam

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have not been able to to download quickplay from the hp website. I had earlier today, but now after restoring some information on my computer I haven't been able to re-install quickplay, so reluctantly I will get a portable webcam that I can hook up to my computer. I don't think this issue can be resolved.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That was when I discovered the problem with my webcam was when I tried using Skype to talk to someone and my video call wouldn't work due to the webcam issue, so I uninstalled Skype and re-installed it and still get the same error messages on Skype that my webcam isn't working. I have used Skype and the video was working a week ago, but until yesterday it hasn't worked.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

Ok try this

Go to control panel / system / hardware tab / DEVICE MANAGER

look for the webcam in the list of devices.

it may be called usb video device or something like that.

highlight it and press delete on your keyboard

it will either disapear or give you a message asking if you want to uninstall it. If you get the message say yes uninstall it.

Then reboot the computer and it should find the webcam and reinstall it automatically.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It only has universal serial bus controllers. There is no usb video device under device manager and under imaging devices it only has the printer listed.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

ok you have looked through every listing in there and there is nothing that could be a webcam ?

what make and model is the computer ?

most likely it is physically broken and the computer is not picking it up.

But if it is working than it is definately not installed.

If you give me the exact make and model i can find the drivers on hp's website and running them may install it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have gone that route already but if you want to try and can get it resolved I would be greatful for your persistence. The make and model is HP pavilion dv6646us Entertainment Notebook PC Vista 32 bit
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
And, yes I have looked through every listing under device manager by myself and by a friend of mine who is a computer programmer and haven't found anything remotely listed as a webcam or video cam under device manager.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

well if you already did it lets try something else first.

You say it worked a week ago?

Try doing a system restore to a few days before it stopped working

start menu /all programs / accesories / system tools / system restore

select restore to an earlier date.

choose a date from the calendar that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

a restoring settngs box will appear with a status bar

when it finishes your computer will restart with the same settings it had on the date you restored to. your data will not be affected.

It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We've already done that earlier today as well.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
if you go to scanners and cameras folder does it show the webcam ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, just the printer is in there under scanners and cameras
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

in the run box on the start menu

type

services.msc

then hit enter

make sure that plug and play is started in the list

then go back to the device manager

hit scan for new devices

If it doesnt find the webcam that way and it doesnt find it automatically when it reboots

then the webcam is physically broken. Or there is a slim possibility that there is a hardware switch on the laptop somewhere that turns it off and it is turned off.

Otherwise I think you may need to either get it repaired or buy an external webcam.

This one is actually pretty descent and it costs 9 bucks. You can actually get it for about half of that but it ships from hong kong and takes at least a month. For the 9 bucks its only a few days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150566729268&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It worked better and easier then the $60 logitech i had before

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did find the plug and play in the list and it was started, but I couldn't find where to scan for new devices in the device manager.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

try under actions or one of the icons on top

it may say scan for hardware changes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It says that the software is working and up to date. When I click on scan for hardware changes it says plug and play is compliant hardware.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I actually have a friend who is going to give me her portable webcam that she doesn't use because she has a built in one on her hp laptop like mine, and doesn't use it.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
It should go through and look for any new hardware. If it doesnt find any than it just isnt seeing the webcam. that means that it is either turned off at the hardware level by a physical switch somewhere , disconected, or broken.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no switch to turn it on or off, so I believe it is broken and I'm not willing to pay to have it fixed. It is cheaper to get a portable webcam. Thanks anyways.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

I totally agree with you. Not worth fixing when it can be replaced so cheaply.

Sorry that i could not help more but there is a limit to what we can do through the internet and fixing physical problems isnt possible. The best i can do is confirm that yes it is a physical problem and replacing it is your best option.

If i was of assistance or you feel i gave my best efforts in a professional manner I would apreciate if you clicked on accept. it will not charge you any additional money but i do not get paid out of your deposit if you do not accept. That is your choice of course

If you do not accept the money remains on account for you here for use with this or another question. Or you can arrange for a refund by emailing support@justanswer.com

thanks and have a great day