John, Computer Specialist
Experience:  MCP, RHCE
50152684

My wife just purchased an Acer Aspire Model P5WE6 through QVC.

My wife just purchased an Acer Aspire Model P5WE6 through QVC. In listening to how she will use this - she will be using Remote Desktop when working from home. Here's my question. This machine comes with Windows 7 Premier. However, from what I understand, with Premier you can only go PC-to-PC. You can only go to a server with Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate. If I'm hearing what she's saying correctly, they don't have hard drives on their machines at work, so they must be getting re-routed to a server. Will she be able to use Remote Desktop to work remotely with Windows 7 Premier, because if she can't this would be real deal breaker.
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

cyball83 :

Hello and Welcome to Just answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX will be assisting you today

cyball83 :

Please come to the chat so that I can help you

Customer:

I'm here

Customer:

I received an email saying I had an answer to my question, but I don't see an answer anywhere

cyball83 :

sorry sir for the delay there was a technical error

Customer:

That's ok

cyball83 :

so your wife wants to use remote desktop to here work place using a windows 7 machine am i correct

Customer:

Yes

cyball83 :

ok all windows 7 operating system is capable of doing remote desktop please click on this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Remote-Desktop-Connection-frequently-asked-questions

Customer:

That link doesn't really answer the question. If she doesn't have a hard drive on her workstation at work, isn't she technically going to a server and the Windows 7 Premier wouldn't allow her to do that?

cyball83 :

if the machine doesn't have a hard drive then it's a thin client and its linked to a server

Customer:

That sounds like the set up - but since she has Windows 7 Premier, will Remote Desktop be able to get to the server?

cyball83 :

i will tell you that .the only question is does the machine whether its a hard drive connected or thin client does she gets a windows environment or does she gets a program like open office

Customer:

She gets the same screen remotely that she gets in the office - the normal Windows screen with her icons..

cyball83 :

ok.

cyball83 :

one moment please

cyball83 :

now going through a server is different because if the server is configured not to let here use the Remote desktop.then it wont.the administrator can implement security like firewall not to let her computer ip address to go outside then i wont let

cyball83 :

is she using here laptop to work

Customer:

She has a workstation at work and just purchased this Acer laptop to use when she works from home. She currently uses mine at using Remote Desktop, but that has XP on it.

cyball83 :

is that windows Xp professional

Customer:

Yes

cyball83 :

can she use remote desktop in this windows Xp prfessional to do here work ?

Customer:

She's doing that now, but wanted her own machine - hence the Acer laptop, but that has Windows 7.

cyball83 :

She can do it.if she can do it in windows Xp machine then windows 7 doesn't matter all she need her on the laptop is a remote desktop which all windows 7 machine have.

cyball83 :

she is using this laptop as client to do the work.the server must be running server 2008 which have the capability to accept remote desktop connection.but you need to contact the company system/network administrator and get the settings to do that

Customer:

Sounds good - this is beginning to make sense now. She is in contact with her admin at work and her doesn't think she will have a problem, but I wanted to verify that with someone on the outside. We'll give it a shot and thanks for your help and time.

cyball83 :

one moment

cyball83 :

what she is getting is a login account in the server which she can only access to do the work.that is not a thin client

cyball83 :

did you understand ?

Customer:

Yes, I understand - I believe you are correct.

cyball83 :

is there anything else you want to know

Customer:

No, I think I'm good.

cyball83 :

If your doubts has been cleared please don’t forget to click ACCEPT & leave a POSITIVE Feedback and some Bonus will be well appreciated. That’s the only way i get paid for the services that I have provided to you

Customer:

I'll take care of you

cyball83 :

please don’t forget to click ACCEPT button in the chat page (thats the only way you can take care of me)& leave a POSITIVE Feedback and some Bonus will be well appreciated. That’s the only way i get paid for the services that I have provided to you

John, Computer Specialist
Experience: MCP, RHCE