Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
2888018

I have Error 25004.Config.Xml not specified; A valid config.xml

Customer Question

I have Error 25004.Config.Xml not specified; A valid config.xml file must be authored when deploying '(null)'. Windows 7 Professional had MS Office Standard 2007 installed and running for five months. This week MS Update installed SP1 and I LOST all components of MS Office 2007. I have tried all solutions offered on the websites and even removed and reinstalled SP1 and did my best to reinstall Office Standard 2007. I need to fix this now, and am getting nowhere.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
This error generally means Office no longer realizes its activated.

Do you have your office CD and product key available?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Justin (Motorola Codex Retired, Cisco Systems Network Designer...47 years in telecom.) I do have the CD and Product key. I moved the files to flashdrive (USB) and loaded them on the Netbook (Acer 1410 Aspire) they were installed there before and working ok. I also have a copy of the Office 2007 installed and running on another machine (Desktop Win 7 Pro, etc...)

Jim
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Excellent.

Before I provide you with some steps I need some more information.

1) What virus scan software are you running?

2) Are there any OTHER copies of Office installed?

3) Are you using Outlook at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1. Norton Internet Security 2011 - Now disabled.
2. Yes, I installed this originally over the copy of Office 2007 that came with the computer when I bought it last year. I also have this installed on this XP SP3 machine that I am using to talk to you with....do I need to take this one off line?
3. Yes I have to use Outlook. Outlook 2007 is open and running on this XP machine.
Configuration: Windows XP Sp3 machine being phased out as soon as all SW working on new Win7Pro Desktop machine. Almost ready to shut this one off and go with the new Desktop. The Netbook is essential to be ready to go cause in my "retirement" I am an insurance agent, and need to have it running so I can do quotes at customer homes ...etc.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I got you. The reason I ask is I didn't want to risk your email. But if you have it setup elsewhere you're fine.

Please read: You should ONLY click the Accept button once your issue is resolved. If the first answer does not work, just REPLY to me and we will continue.

Understand, this is full blown corruption of the Office suite. I did some digging to confirm but I've ran across it before. The only safe resolution to the issue is a complete removal (more difficult than it sounds) and fresh install. Installing it over the previous one (while successful) was probably what did it, messing up the activation check during the SP1 upgrade (and yes, not reversible).

Now, a couple things to note, previously when I looked over this error a few months back, it was a virus scanner that caused it to begin with during the update. It had locked a file needed. So be sure you keep Norton uninstall while doing the removal.

However, before we do the uninstall/reinstall. I'd like you to try a system restore prior to the update of service pack 1. Go to start, all programs, accessories, system tools System Restore. Choose a date prior to the update, run it, and restart when prompted. See if Functionality is restored.

If not, continue.

We'll start simple and attempt a standard uninstall. If it doesn't cleanly uninstall or install we'll get a bit more hands on.

Go to start, in the searchbox type programs and features and hit enter. You'll see Office products listed there. Remove all traces of it. All traces of office, not just 2007 if more are listed.

Next, restart your computer.

Now, do a complete clean install of Office on next boot, and let me know if the issue is resolved. If not, just REPLY and provide as much detail as possible.

*IMPORTANT removing Office will tear out Outlook as well. So if your mail is setup through it, the account will be removed. The EMAIL however, will remain intact.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The oldest restore point is yesterday. I don't know if it's before or after the problem started...since it started yesterday...I did look for more restore points. I am doing the System Restore on that point now.

I had tried simple uninstall with the Programs control panel, would not work says its corrupted. Will go there as soon as it restarts as you suggest. No problem tearing out Outlook I am using the backup feature and have copies of that on another thumbdrive.

I will update you Post Systems Restore -- it is still running...
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good, and no problem, I didn't really expect it to uninstall cleanly.

We have other options for removing it, I assure you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The system restore is done -- I think. Machine restarted but is "stuck" on ACER splash screen ... asking to "Press <F2> to enter setup.

Do I want to do that??
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
a restore wouldn't get it stuck on the acer splash screen.

Power it down fully, assuming this is a laptop, pull the power cable, pull the battery.

Wait about 20 seconds, then plug it back in. Probably just a hiccup, but we can't really test it until it gets back into Windows.

Nice that you have another computer to talk to me while we test though.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is a "Netbook" and I did the power off, unplug AC Power, and remove battery - 30 seconds. When I started it ... went into the splash screen again. So I did power cycle, remove AC supply and restart. Goes to Windows 7 Professional open screen.

Sign on computer as Adminstrator. System Restore failed... unspecified error (0x0000022) ...

Control Panel:Programs and Features: Ask to uninstall MS Office Standard 2007 as installed on 3/15/2011 Vers 12.0.4518.1014. (Norton still off) Result - -- -- -- this product installation has been corrupted. Run setup again from the CD, DVD, or other orignal installation source.

Microsoft Office Suite Activation Assistant Installed 10/29/09: Click uninstall... Result bounces over to next level command window to uninstall per recommendations... running... seems hung

I have a "small" network. Wife has XP Desktop, WIn7Pro laptop. I have the new Win7Pro desktop, the netbook and an XP Desktop devoted to ham radio to control the radio equipment... and the XP Desktop I am now on geting ready to toast off...
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Exactly as I mentioned, its due to the activation.

As I previously mentioned, this is a fairly serious error, so try not to let your jaw drop when I link you to one of the proposed fixes haha.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218

There's a FixIT for me tool on that link, that you might want to try first, but in my experience they rarely work. However, its worth a shot. You can skip the trying to uninstall it portion via programs and features, because we know it doesn't work.

The rest of the steps are a manual uninstall of Office, TAKE YOUR TIME and double check everything.

If you run into trouble, or need clarification on any of it, safer to just ask me. I don't mind at all.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know the FIXIT does not do it.

The instructions in 928218 are not specific for Win 7 --- for example wants me to go to Click Start, click Run, type installer, and then click OK.

Getting into it in Win 7 - Does not give me a "subject" as a detail... Name, Date Modifeid, Type, Size. So what to do?

(No not upset ... this has been a major headache for two days ... not your fault),
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
There are Vista tools in all of it, they apply, but it hasn't been updated to 7 (the instructions), everything applying to Vista applies to 7 in this instance. Sorry I should have been more clear.

There is a RUN tool by the way in Windows 7, its just not displayed by default.

To access the Run command, hold down the WINDOWS key (usually between ctrl and alt on the bottom left of the keyboard) and press the R key.

Proceed from there.

No idea why they hide the run command on 7, I use it often, You can enable it by right clicking the start button, click properties, then click customize. Look for Show Run in the list.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I found it and am either uninstalling or deleting all that are Office 2007 related in properties details window. Yeah, takes time.

Win 7 has been pretty smooth till this....remember, I started with DOS 2.0 in my career....
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I used DOS and win 3.1 as well.

Windows 7 is the new XP, it'll be around for a VERY long time, and while there's a million issues with it. People forget all the issues that still plague XP.

I won't even get started about Vista.

I am more than happy with 7's speed and stability so far and I've been running it 2 years.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I skipped Vista entirely.

When I was with Motorola...I got the job of crushing 4,000 Macs when Apple broke our contract for the chip.... then taking the video to Jobs.... he said "thank you". I then rolled out 4,000 Dell Laptops to the workforce as the PM on the project.... just lose touch when technology rolls along.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
And it comes out so fast. I love this site because it keeps me at the top of my game for my clients or my actual repair business.

You lucked out skipping Vista, I of course had to get it immediately to learn it.

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just did all of the regedit and stuff. Windows is restarting....

Signing on as Administrator....

All Icons present on main screen. Plugging in Flash Drive with Office 2007 on it..

Starting Office 2007 Setup ... Entering Product Key... Clicking Install now...

Installation Progress begins... (Runs slowly...) Bar moving...

Error 25004.Config.Xml not specified...

Hmmm
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I'd like you to try installing from a different user account in Windows, create a fresh one.

Go to start, in the searchbox type user accounts, hit enter.

Create a new one there, make it an administrator. Log out, log in as the new account, attempt an install there.

Post me the results.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I have to run out for dinner, I will be back and take another look at the results if the last step doesn't work.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
In the Adminstrator account I just now was able to Uninstall Office 2007, Office Activation Assistant and Office Powerpoint Viewer. So that is cleaned out there.

I just did --- in effrect --- drag and drop of the Office Install CD to the Flash Drive.

Now will create different fresh user account in windows and try it from there.

When I did a restart to get fresh and sign on.... got the splash screen again... power unplug and then start again... still splash. Power down... remove flash drive ... re power unit and goes to normal start up ... conclusion the 16db flash drive messes up restarting. So will drag the install to the desktop and go from there ... removing flash drive after before install.

815PM CDT start install ...installing from downloads folder on the Netbook... (just got your note about dinner... went fed dog, nucked my dinner (wife gave up on me!) and the install cannot find Standardr.WW\Stdrww.cab .. dragged that from the Flash drive to the installation folder on the harddrive.... still no go. Cancel... prompts for install with recommended ... reenter key. Install continues - hangs at same spot. Quit install.

Redownload. Check for uninstall... no files there. restart install procedure. All fails at same spot.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
System rolled to another person. How do I get you back ... among others to pay for help...still trying here.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Youre still locked in with me. No worries, on road. Be home shortly. Try install from flash drive and is office still listed in programs and features?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Office is not in Programs and Features since a while ago. Have not been able to get it to go beyond that hard stop. Working it one more time. You are really patient.

Thank you, Jim
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
As far as patience, I've worked with users for weeks.

Some problems are so unique in their own ways, its terribly difficult to diagnose the issue.

I may have to recommend we try remote shortly after I eat so I can run some tests (with your permission of course).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Normally don't like to do Remote. However, this is obviously an exception. Some files are customer data with HIPPA restrictions...so I will take your word that you will observe that limitation.

I have done remote several times over the years, including a short 6-month stint at Verizon FiOS customer support ... till they fired me cause I would not lie to the customer when Verizon was at fault...oh well.

Jim
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I've been a network administrator for over 10 years with a gov military defense contract in line with tacom.

Trust me, I know all too well about security and I can assure you I wouldn't do anything to either jeopardize the computer, or otherwise. Not to mention you can see everything I'm doing.

I just need to eat first.

I have one other thing for you to try as well, as its the first step I would do:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/02/28/windows-installer-cleanup-utility-free-download-to-fix-setup-installation-failure/

download is at the bottom MSIcuu2.exe

Its sole creation by microsoft was to remove Office products (but its great at others as well).

Download install the tool. Run it, and look to see if there are any traces of microsoft office and perform cleanup on them. If there are, clean them, restart, try another install.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Roger:

I did this application this afternoon before I called you. Will redownload it, since I paid the $99 for Reimage and have licenses now already.

(smile)

Jim LaPorta
Command Sergeant Major - Retired
Army of the United States
Signal Corps, ASA, etc.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Haha welll, at least you did your research.

Also, go to start, computer.

Navigate to this directory:

c:\programs files(x 86)\microsoft office.

Is Office12 still listed there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes Office 12 is there again. I had removed it during the clean up manually
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Can try revouninstaller as wel

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

I have no doubt you did the manual uninstall correctly, but there's obviously still traces of Office in the registry hindering the install.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nothing like little mouse tracks all over the place. Reimage has finished scanning is going to do repairs now
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I'm going to start on eating my Ribs now haha.

I only eat like I'm 500 pounds, but also only eat once a day.

I image my drive once a month, its a beautiful thing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ribs huh!

I BBQd some Saturday... I was close to 450# XXXXX I had lapband in 2003 ... now 230 much better still can lose a little. I eat tiny meals... like 4 oz of ribs at a time....the lapband works for me... I gain weight if I smell food cooking.

By the way it's just now at 52% mark in the fixing by reimage...

Jim
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I got ribs from TGIF's, because I've been on 18 hour days right now working, so I don't have time to cook. And they were edible, but not by any means good.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
TGIF is owned by Carlson these days... was originally owned by Brinker when they were starting up. The first TGIF was on Mockingbird in Dallas... not far from the first Chili's also originating in Dallas. Brinker has shrunk, especially after shutting down Bennigans, Victoria Station, selling off Tony Roma which was closed too... so the BBQ choices on the national market are a mess these days. Applebees makes a "fair" national rib....but for babybacks Chilis leads the pack.

I don't want to be a pest on this. Since the Netbook does not have a CD drive there is probably something that I can't do here with flash drives.. although it did work for over 9 months after I first installed Office 2007. The same CD worked fine installing on a newer machine bought last week Win7Pro ...so I think the machine may have been torched by SP1 for Win7 being installed...possibly corrupted download or what have you.
Reimage is up to only 58% fixed now....
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I don't think its a corrupted download per say, SP1 literally just released like a week ago, it has its fair share of bugs.

But THIS issue has been playing Office 2007 for years, and its a nightmare to fix.

I'm digging through every resolution I can find, but I'm fairly shocked the fresh profile didn't make a difference.

I haven't even updated to SP1, still have the beta version installed. Kind of afraid to after reading all the issues with it (trashes netflix in media center for example).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Been so tied up trying to get this fixed have not looked at NetFlix. Use the PC to control content for the HDTV on my network too (HDTV, BlueRay and DirecTV also on my network here)
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I just watch it through my PS3 most of the time to my lcdtv. Computer's too small.

Back to this article by the way:

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/928218

Is where everything points.

One thing to add, I will disable the UAC before trying any further installs/uninstalls.

Start, in the searchbox type msconfig and hit enter. Click Tools. Look for Change UAC settings, open that up (double click or click Launch), and drag the slider down. Click Apply, click ok.

Normally with Office, most of these installion issues are permissions related.

Tool for the procedure that might work for the microsoft article as well:

http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/microsoft-technologies-discussions/28394-ripoutoffice2007-completely-uninstall-microsoft-office-2007-a.html
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Disabled UAC.
Downloaded Ripout application.

Now at 75% fixing point

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
May have to continue this tomorrow.

Probably going to head to bed soon. Let me know if this is ok, if not, I can opt out and another expert can take over to assist.

Up to you either way, I'll be available tomorrow and the next day. I'm on EST time zone.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Justin:

Good Morning! I cratered before your last note... sorry the "candle" went out. I do want to keep our working relationship ... makes good sense.

Sometime overnight the Reimage operation completed. I saved the results as a PDF so I can send it to you if that will help.

The Programs Control Panel shows no MS Office stuff. I went to the Programs (x86) folder and just deleted the MS Office folder and contents .. created 3/14/2011.

Then, did a restart. Signed on with the new Administrative User signon made yesterday. ... the Reimage application autostarts for the report display, since I have it printed to PDF closed the window.

Checked Control Panel - it opens in System and Security showing I have all Norton disabled .. a good thing yet. Go to Programs and Features. now shows Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office System...installed on 3/14/2011 ... suspect that so uninstall action taken and completed without incident.

Older copy of OFFCE12 installer was in downloads, deleted that folder. Found Office folder created 3/13/2011 and contents in the Program Folder (64 bit) and tried to delete, it said it could not be deleted as something was open or in use ... folder deleted piece by piece leaving only MSOHEVI.DLL as being open (created 10/26/2006).in Windows Explorer. Go to Task Manager... cannot find the process. Decide to proceed with only that item that I can find related still on the machine.

Restart machine, empty Recycle bin.Verified all of Norton is off. Check Programs, find MS Office folder and contents delete. Go to Control Panel - not in CP. Not found in Programs (x86) still see Microsoft Office>Office12>MSOHEVI.DLL in the 64-bit Programs.- lets me delete that now and all of the sub-folders. Ready now to go for reinstall! (I hope!)

I reloaded the Office 2007 CD on a FRESH memory stick last night. So my plan now is to try and install fcrom that USB drive. Starting 8:33 AM. Select Setup and Run as Adminstrator. Loading from USB...Setup preparing files - enter product key! Click Install Now (8:36 AM) --- Installing... 8:42 AM .... Error 25004.Config.Xml not specified...

sending to you now.

Later this morning I expect to have to take my little old boat (Retirement buy) to the boat shop to have the "Trim Sending Unit" replaced ... has to come out of the water for that. I don't know what time they are coming to pick up the trailer and for me to drive boat to the ramp to load it ....that will have me out of action. My cell is XXX-XXX-XXXX.

(The Motorola Retiree Fishing Team comes in April - so I have to be "ready" ... one of the fun things about being semi-retired.)
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I want you to boot in safe mode and do all the Microsoft steps again for removing via the registry.

Be sure you disable the UAC control that I mentioned previously.

Also, take over any directories that they won't let you delete:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

You can change the security permissions following that link above.

This is for UAC control:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218

Steps again are above.

I hate to have you keep repeating them, safe mode may do the trick. But I've done a LOT of digging on this, and the general consensus is still the same. Manual removal, clean install.

I can't imagine the issue is installing off the flash drive, it shouldn't matter at all.

Experience: Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Restart in Safe Mode with Networking.
(I was able to Uninstall in Control Panel before restart Safe)
Programs and Features - No MS Office
Opened Installer ... deleted 13 files from TODAY that related to MS Office 2007.
There is a MSIF6A2.tmp file 3/14/2011 5:39 PM that I left as I cannot tell what it is for...
Deleted MS Office Suite Activvation Assistant 0/29/2009
did all of the Safe Mode things that I could. Step for the Data file says only delete the OPA12.dat file .. was not one there and left OPA12.BAK file alone there.

Has me restart and went into Safe Networking mode. Start install attempt from USB Drive. Using Run as Adminstrator...

USB running... Setup asks for product key. Enterd and click install now - install crashes immediately (Event type office12setup P1{10120000-0f00-0000-0000000ff1ce}
P2 12.0.4518.1`014 P3 x Pr unexpectged error P5 standardr.ww_Office64ww.xml P6 x P7 x

Restart in Windows 7. What next ! ?

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Just got home from a site, 24 hours straight right now and have to crash. Even if I wanted to help I'd be useless right now.

The error message you received is due to running the installer in safe mode.

Though I don't think running the installer in normal will make a different, doesn't hurt to try.

I will return after 6pm EST rested and will take another stab at this with you if you're available.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Justin: I retried it in regular and same error.

Will check back tonight with you.

This is so so crazy

Rest safe!

Jim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried several things. To include download of Office 2010 Trial... that does not work either. did another clean and am doing windows updates now to see what I end up with ... I also tried to use Microsoft .... what a bunch of foreign devils (well not really but not a one in the US that could speak passible english)
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Alright, thanks for the update.

Getting some coffee down and if you're interested we can try a remote. Not sure how much better I'll do as you obviously know your way around the system, but doesn't hurt to have another set of eyes.

Also, if you initiate it on the "test" account we created, your personal files should be on the other profile if that's still a concern of yours.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I hear you. Still doing Windows Update... taking it in slices, as it wants to do 30+ and crashes in the process....

I am game for the remote. I am very disappointed that the Office 2010 Trial wont load...considering that the only American I spoke to told me that it ignores old version installs.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
It doesn't, in fact installing multiple versions causes a wide variety of issues as I've seen in MANY cases with users that frequent here. Including installation issues.

I'm going to do a bit of digging first before giving you directions for the remote and just collect my thoughts on everything we've tried.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Appreciate that Justin. I am getting the updates done 7 at a time....that is working... 10 will not for some reason.

Jim
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Probably stalling at one.

Once you're finished I want you to do the following:

Go to start, in the searchbox type msconfig enter, click services. Check the box that says "Hide Microsoft Services", then click Disable all. Then restart.

After you've done this, and your updates are finished, let me know and I will give you the remote session.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK set to disable all.

I was not able to install 2 updates: KB2454826 and KB2484033 both for Win7 64bit and failed on multiple tries. The SP1 update just showed up and have started to install it... shows 87.2 MB size. Got 19% and stopped. No activity on Task Manager so I killed it.

There are others that are not installed that fail .... SQL is one of them, two are for Office 2007.

What sign on do you want me to use... the Adminstrator or one of the two I created?

Norton is off.

Also, just now the pop up on the screen says my Win7Pro is not genuine...hmmm

Ready
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Any administrative account will do.

http://67.192.95.188:8040/Guest.aspx?Session=cd9d5c92-bf40-4694-8fac-9802a78984e1&SUPPORT=NET

Click this link, follow the prompts in the account you log in to.

If i'm not in within 5 minutes of you clicking the link, respond to me here.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Think you somehow closed the session haha.

Here's the link again.
http://67.192.95.188:8040/Guest.aspx?Session=331b5b56-f319-41ad-a79a-e6e201abb642&SUPPORT=NET
That or it crashed. If it crashed, I'll have to try to load it through Java.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't tell you are there ... not quite like the Citrix I am used to...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That link isn't working. Give me a fresh one
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I will, give me a moment, I think your .net framework is trashed as well.

Added to the list of fun.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Arrrgh!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Someone else just started on this... I dropped his session.
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure how other people are picking up the question.

I'm concerned about the genuine error and the .net installion and I'm trying to dig on it right now. I may try to load our remote via java if possible. Hang tight.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yessir!
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I've never seen remote terminate like that.

Also, have you tried to re-activate?

Go to start, right click Computer, activation is at the bottom.

Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did a restart. Signed on as The Adminstrator.

Right Click Computer Activation not a choice. In the Properties Window was "not detected" After about 30 seconds chagned to Windows is ACTIVED WITH THE gENIUINE STICKER.

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Ok good, SOME progress.

Geez.

I'm wondering if the .net framework is the root of everything else. That's be GREAT, if it is.

Here's a java session of remote:

http://67.192.95.188:8040/Guest.aspx?Session=d2fa63cd-70c5-499a-bba2-a4ff9a248863&SUPPORT=JAVAW
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok COPY and load to page next.

I just ran Speakeasy on the Netbook got 6.88/1.04 Mbps ... so the link is good.

just clicked the laptop to go
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Restart stopped at the Acer Splash screen.

Power cycle?
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Full shut down, power back up.

It should at least try to load windows,r egardless of the changes we made.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
power reset stops at splash. Do it again.

same result

another reset... pull the two USB disks off and repower

goes to starting window\

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Ah, was trying to load off the USB drive, boot order issue.

Probably would have eventually gotten past it if you waited a few minutes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
entering the remote stuff
Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Not working?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Need a new link expire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Justin

Finally completed all of the actions - all OK. Only issue I have now is that the DOD Certificates for the AKO websites are fighting with IE8, Win7 and Norton.... had it OK before, howeve, it isn't getting OK now .... that is an issue not your worry tho.

Your work was fine, very helpful. I know you put a lot of time in trying to "save" my system...and that the clean install from reformatted HDD was the only workable solution. I will pay, however, I want to "tip" you and I have a number in mind. Let me know your preferences and then I will do it tonight.

Jim

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much.

I also wanted to know note about the live imaging software available for free. I know you use a certain type, but it would be beneficial to run one now after your system is stable.

Have you tried putting your AKO sites (I am familiar with these sites as one of my clients is defense contract) in your trusted sites in IE8?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Justin: You are welcome.

As for the AKO sites... I have downloaded all four of the DOD Certificates, installed them and set the Security for Trusted Sites down to the lowest level, placing the https link in the list of trusted sites. Does not help. I have to click on hte "not recommended link" in the web response 3 times before I can get past the filter.

Thanks, Jim

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
There's something wrong with the certificate then, can you check your date/time settings on Windows 7 to be sure they're accurate?

Also, in the Trusted portion, uncheck the HTTPS box, and instead of putting the websites name in fully.

Put it in using a wild card.

Such as *.msn.com
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Justin: The problem was that although I had installed the certificates in Windows, it no longer populates the IE8 Internet Options. Once I just did that 3 of the 4 certificates would install, and one won't ... it works correctly now. Must not need the 4th one.

Oh yea... Date/Time on Win7Pro is correct, and I had checked all of the certs for their effective start and end already .. and they were OK. Good idea tho....

It is no wonder people still by Macintosh ... all too many little gotchas in Windows... well, not so bad I am ready to dump PC. After all I helped roll out 4000 Dell Laptops to my division of Motorola when Steve Jobs canceled the Chip contract .. I also helped destroy the 4000 Macs replaced ... how the times change.

Thank you again Justin... Jim

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Happy to help.

Mac's have their own little issues as well, as we're seeing a lot more of them due to their surge in popularity over the past few years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To a certain extent I think that may be becasue of the widespread newbies coming in who really no computer background at all.

For 9 years my job included trying to break every new application that HQ sent out. I became pretty good at ThinkPascal. Now with all of the moves to other OS bases and such I would be totally lost.

Heck in college I had to write an ATM program in Fortran 77 on 80 col punched cards. I did drop them between the Terminal building and the Input building ... a block apart... at University of Texas/Dallas. I really, really, don't miss those cards!

Jim

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
Haha, I wasn't around during the card days, but one of my clients likes to bring it up and tell me how easy I have it nowadays all the time!

Have faith in 7, next to XP, its about as stable as it gets... god help us.

Still blows my mind all the problems they have with their flag ship software (Office). If they'd internally test these instead of rushing release and using us as guinea pigs, people wouldn't be so frustrated. Afterall, that's all Vista was. A live beta test for Windows 7, that you pay for.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Remember Office was originally written for the Macintosh, 2 years later before they ported it to the PC. It was always more stable on the Mac.

No I didn't pay for Vista. I never used it. I have tried to help people with it, usually telling them to roll back to Windows XP. I am still not fully Windows7 ... I have to keep XP going until software for ham radio apps will work on Win7 ... chokes in compatibility mode, and the coders don't want to mess with it yet.

About like the Apollo workstations, later bought by HP, that were advertised to support up to 56 simultaneous routines... and died at 7 .... not ready for prime time. We used those for Network Management of Modems and Stat Muxes in the "day".

Jim

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
I hear you, I personally have been impressed with 7. Its unfortunate that there's so many compatibility issues, but since 7 will be around for a LONG time i'm sure they'll get ironed out eventually.

XP wasn't stable out of the box, not for a great many years. I've been recommending to all my clients to make the transition, but many have been hesitant as they were roped into Vista.

I've been impressed with the overall speed on a loaded system running 64-bit 7 though. The new i7 is an amazing chip. Since I transitioned my laptop to 7 from Vista, I've never had a single crash. Few freeze ups in Windows Live Mail (bloated garbage) but that's about it. But I guess if you're running the worst OS microsoft has released (that's debateable, Vista OR ME), no where to go but up at this point.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sure nuff!

Well I am toast still fighting this cold. Will talk again soon. God Bless. Jim

Expert:  Justin replied 3 years ago.
You too. I just started with my work day. Monday's are always a 24-hour grind at least. Already have a client list that will take up... I can't even imagine how long sigh.

Will leave this open should you run into anymore trouble.

One of the imaging tools I recommend by the way is Macrium reflect. Super easy, and I believe its 100% free now for home users.