tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  3+ years Computer Support Specialist County School System, 3+ years Networking Specialist

did factory restore and it is stuck installing sysprep-factory

Customer Question

did factory restore and it is stuck installing sysprep-factory mode it is on 46 out of 46 and has been stuck there for a long time. It says dont shut off computer during factory restore,,,what should i do
Category: Computer
Expert:  tbwhite2040 replied 3 years ago.

tbwhite2040 :

Hello, My name is XXX XXX I will assist you in finding an answer to your question.

Customer :

hi

tbwhite2040 :

If it is still installing I would wait for it to finish. Sometimes it may seem that it is not running anymore or is timed out, but it may still be installing

tbwhite2040 :

How long has it been on the 46 out of 46?

Customer :

it has been runnghur thouing for like an ho

Customer :

running for an hour on 46 out of 46

tbwhite2040 :

what brand is the computer?

Customer :

acer

tbwhite2040 :

The sysprep is what prepares the computer for use. It could be installing programs and applications needed to run the computer. Is the Hard Drive LED flashing any?

Customer :

it is an all in one computer i dont see any light flashing

Customer :

is it safe to turn the computer off and restart it or not

tbwhite2040 :

yes but you will have to restart the restore again

Customer :

i just want to make sure it is not going to ruin it

Customer :

does it usually take a long time

tbwhite2040 :

sometimes but if you restart the computer and start the factory restore again, then you will not damage the restore. It will just start over

tbwhite2040 :

I have seen some factory restores take over night to finish

Customer :

even though it is on the last step 46 out of 46 it could take this long?

tbwhite2040 :

not necessarily

Customer :

so do you think its frozen then

tbwhite2040 :

If using the disc, it may go faster as long as the disc is complete and not scratched up. but if running from a recovery partition, the files could be corrupt, could have viruses, etc

Customer :

i dont understand

tbwhite2040 :

Are you using the recovery disc to run the factory restore or are you restoring using the recovery partition of your hard drive?

Customer :

the hard drive

tbwhite2040 :

Then the hard drive partition could be corrupt or damaged. Or it could have a virus on it.

Customer :

so what would i do

tbwhite2040 :

I forgot to ask why you ran a factory restore on it

Customer :

to get all personal data removed from it

tbwhite2040 :

OK then I would try running the restore again since you have no personal data on the computer anymore

Customer :

by turning off pc and starting over?

tbwhite2040 :

yes