tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years Computer Support Specialist County School System, 3+ years Networking Specialist
35117564

What is the host name for gmail...I cannot get the incoming

What is the host name for gmail...I cannot get the incoming mail server pop.gmail.com
to work. I have the outgoing port as 465 and the incoming server 995 (pop3)
please help

tbwhite2040 :

The link below tells you the settings for GMail.

tbwhite2040 :

At the bottom of the page read about using different ports

Customer: I have followed the link to google support and input all info . Just opened email in IPod Touch and the wheel just keeps spinning. Does not work. The device is good. I had another account set up on it one week ago w/ q.com then changed to gmail and cannot get it to work.
tbwhite2040 :

You did make sure to Save the configuration?

tbwhite2040 :

Also did you make sure you enabled POP in Gmail

Customer: I have to feed the kids. Will put this on hold til tomorrow. Ian answering on IPhone and have this window open to access quickly. Answer is yes to your questions host name: pop.gmail.com under incoming mail. Where else do I enable POP? I hit save or done wherever prompted.
tbwhite2040 :

1. Sign in to Gmail.

2. Click the gear icon in the upper-right and select Mail settings at the top of any Gmail page.

3. Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
    Gmail POP Settings
    Full Size Image

4. Select Enable POP for all mail or Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on.

5. Choose what to do with your messages after your POP client or device receives them.

6. Configure your POP client* and click Save Changes.

Customer: Whet is the gear icon... On my PC? I logged in and do not see a gear icon... Running windows XP
Customer: Do you think IPod touch is now not responding?
Customer: At my PC now . Followed all directions. Wheel still keeps turning on IPod.
tbwhite2040 :

you have to login into your gmail account and click on the gear at the top right corner beside your name.

Customer: One more question til I accept. It worked. However, when I am now in IPod email and want to delete an email, I t says archive instead of delete. Did I not tick the correct setting in Google? Please advise. Thank you.