Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

I use Parish Data Systems software (Church Office) and tried

I use Parish Data Systems software (Church Office) and tried to send church members their 2010 contrib reports via email. On my SetUp page, the Email Server is set to "mail.holyrosaryca.org"; Server Port = 25; Authentication uses my email:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX and my password; "use TLS (GMail) and Use SSL (AT&T) are unchecked. (we are Comcast). THe program said the Email was successful, but everyone who had an email address did not receive their report. When I sent mine to myself at work, it went immediately to my deleted folder. My software support people said to advise members to add us to their address book, but it seems (based on sending to myself) that it didn't work...but I don't know what/how to change the Email setup page. Thanks.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello. My name isXXXXX will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question.

How many SMTP servers do you have set up? It looks like you have one for Gmail and one for AT&T. Is that accurate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I missed the chat - was attending a funeral Mass. Not sure how to answer your question about SMTP. I'm not aware of the parish website having Gmail. I have a Gmail account for employee med/dent insurance billings; we no longer use AT&T...our phones & internet are Comcast.

What do you mean when you say

TLS (GMail) and Use SSL (AT&T) are unchecked

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>Here's what my Email setup page looks like:</p><p> </p><p>Email Server(SMTP): mail.holyrosaryca.org</p><p>Email Server Port 25 (Look Up Default Email Server Information button)-doesn't work</p><p>Server Requires Authentication is checked</p><p>Acount Name: <a rel="nofollow" href="mailtoXXX@XXXXXX.XXX" target="_blank">XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX</a> (my email address)</p><p>Password: xxxxxxxx</p><p>Use TLS (Gmail) is unchecked</p><p>Use SSL (AT&T) is unchecked</p><p>Server Limits Emails is unchecked</p><p>Maximum Emails in a Batch: 0</p><p>Time Delay Between Batches: 0 Seconds</p><p>If an Error Comes Up, Delay 30 seconds and Retry Once - is checked</p><p>Disconnect and Reconnect After Every Email - is unchecked</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I edited my note to add (my email address)...and when I checked it again, it had all the <>/p notations...don't know what that's all about.

G

That's our site software that does that sometimes, but I am able to read it, except the email address, which are blocked for privacy.

If they are going out, then they are likely being marked as spam. There could be several reasons for that, most of which you have no control. I am going to do a little checking and I'll get back to you in a few.

Since I cannot see the email addresses, can you just tell the if the domain (part after the @) is holyrosaryca.org?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes - the account name is XXXXX XXXXX name, gloria...followed by the @ and holyrosaryca.org

I've done a pretty exaustive check on your domain and I have some good news and one suggestion. The good news is that I did a search of all known "blacklist" servers (servers that list organizations for sending spam) for each of your three email servers, and your domain is not on any of them.

I've also checked the configuration of your name servers on the internet for your domain, as these can affect the delivery of email. It all looks very healthy, but the one recommendation I would make is to add a record called an SPF record. Have this record and having it correct plays a part in the deliverability of your email. I can formulate the proper record for you if you'd like. The detaislof the report are below, just in case you want to torture yourself and read through them.

refresh
Image Info NS records at parent.Your nameserver records fetched from the parent servers are:

ns1.aplus.net. (No Glue)
ns2.aplus.net. (No Glue)
ns3.aplus.net. (No Glue)

These records come from: a0.org.afilias-nst.info.
Image Fail Glue records.Fail. The following nameservers are not sending glue.

» ns1.aplus.net.
» ns2.aplus.net.
» ns3.aplus.net.

refresh
Image Info NS records at your nameserversYou have the following NS records listed at your nameservers :

ns2.aplus.net. [64.29.154.69]
ns3.aplus.net. [216.251.32.154]
ns1.aplus.net. [64.29.144.69]
Image OK Multiple NS recordsOK. You have 3 nameservers.
Image OK UDP RespondOK. All your nameservers respond to (udp) dns requests.
Image OK TCP RespondOK. All your nameservers respond to (tcp) dns requests.
Image OK Registered NSOK. All your nameservers are registered.
Image OK NS Public IPsOK. All your nameservers have public IPs.
Image OK Identical NS recordsOK. All your nameserver have identical NS records.
Image OK NS CNAMEOK. There should be no CNAMEs if an NS (or any other) record is present.
Image OK Missing nameserversOK. You have no missing nameservers at the parent server.
Image Info ns2.aplus.net. - DNS SERVER
ns3.aplus.net. - DNS SERVER
ns1.aplus.net. - DNS SERVER

View
refresh
Image OK SOA MNAMEOK. Your primary nameserver (ns1.aplus.net.) is listed as a nameserver.
Image OK SOA RNAMEOK. Your hostmaster adress (hostmaster@aplus.net) is a valid email adress.
Image OK SOA SerialOK. Your soa serial number (1015) looks valid.
Image OK SOA RefreshOK. Your soa refresh (7200) looks valid.
Image OK SOA RetryOK. Your soa retry (3600) looks valid.
Image OK SOA ExpireOK. Your soa expire interval (3600000) looks valid.
Image OK SOA Minimum TTLOK. Your soa minimum TTL (3600) looks valid.

View
refresh
There are 3 MX Records available.
Image OK 10mx1c40.carrierzone.com
Image OK 100mx2c40.carrierzone.com
Image OK 110mx3c40.carrierzone.com
Image OK Multiple MX recordsOK. You have 3 mx records listed.
Image OK MX Reverse DNSOK. You have reverse DNS records for all you IPs.

64.29.151.236 - mx1c40.carrierzone.com
64.29.151.237 - mx2c40.carrierzone.com
64.29.151.238 - mx3c40.carrierzone.com
Image OK MX CNAME CheckOK. Your mx record resolves to an A record.
Image OK MX IP CheckOK. All you mx records use a hostname.
Image OK MX Public IPOK. All you mx records use a public IP adress.

View
refresh
Image OK Mailserver checkOK. All mail servers are online.
Image OK Postmaster checkOK. All your mailservers accept mail forXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

» mx1c40.carrierzone.com - 250 2.1.5 ... Recipient ok
» mx2c40.carrierzone.com - 250 2.1.5 ... Recipient ok
» mx3c40.carrierzone.com - 250 2.1.5 ... Recipient ok
Image Fail Abuse checkFail. One of your mailservers is not accepting mail forXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

» mx1c40.carrierzone.com - 550 5.1.1 ... User unknown
» mx2c40.carrierzone.com - 550 5.1.1 ... User unknown
» mx3c40.carrierzone.com - 550 5.1.1 ... User unknown
Image Fail SPF checkFail. You have a non functional SPF record.

»
Image OK Openrelay CheckOK. Your mailservers deny relaying email for unknow domains.

» mx1c40.carrierzone.com - 550 5.7.1 ... Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged [79.99.133.93]
» mx2c40.carrierzone.com - 550 5.7.1 ... Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged [79.99.133.93]
» mx3c40.carrierzone.com - 550 5.7.1 ... Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged [79.99.133.93]
Image Fail Literals checkFail. One of your mailservers is not accepting mail for postmaster@[0.0.0.0].

View
refresh
Image OK WWW Recordwww.holyrosaryca.org A 64.29.151.221
Image OK CNAME CheckOK. Your WWW record is a A Record.
Image OK WWW Public IPOK. Your webserver has a public IP.
Image Info Running Webserver : Apache Date/Time : Thu, 17 Mar 2011 21:06:37 GMT
Image Info Google Pagerank for "holyrosaryca.org" : 3

I did have one more recommendation that I haven't mentioned. And that is to add a user to your email with the username "Abuse". This is important because some receiving servers will start an email to abuse at your domain to see if the server accepts or rejects it. Then, if they determe you do not have an email for reporting abuse, it may refuse the email or mark it as suspect. You don't even have to monitor the account - it just has to be there. It's a little silly, but it's a standard that was put in place several years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK - you're the expert...I'm the user. Again - additional fees for this?

I was brought up Catholic - Catholic school K-12. If my mother were alive and she saw me sitting here trying to ask someone representing holymaryrosary.org for an additional fee, she would slap the taste out of my mouth. And she'd only be using hand because she broke the wooden paddle on my rear-end when, as a toddler, I broke the handle off the skillet of a brand new set of pans she specifically told me not to touch after she bought them that day.

All I ask is that you click accept so I will be compensated. You have the option of paying a bonus when you accept, but I don't want to go to hell, so that's totally up to you. I hope Mom can read this from up there.

As far as the email address, that will have to be up to you. However you normally add a user, just add Abuse. Most likely this is through the company that hosts your email and web. Your mail provider looks like Carrierzone.com if that sounds familiar. The record I am going to create for you will also go to your provider to put into your DNS. You don't have to understand it - I will just tell you what you or someone needs to give them to get it added.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You're too funny!! I'm sure your Mom is very proud of you. I've heard of people getting slapped into next week, but never "the taste out of my mouth"! Still not clear about who or where the "Abuse" is added. I'm happy to pay another fee, hopefully less than $100. Let me know what it is and I'll send the info to our website mgr. Is it an issue that my email is @ holyrosaryca.org and the web site is holyrosaryantioch.org?

If my Mom doesn't get me, JustAnswer management will. I am not allowed to negotiate price. I don't know if my Mother made that happen or what, but it's one of the rules in our Expert agreement. So, when you click accept, IF you want to include something extra, I appreciate every penny. I'll be candid - I have received the amount you mentioned, but only a handful of times. It's usually lower. How can I be so Catholic and not feel Guilty about everything? I will only be paid (even the original amount) when/if you click accept, so that's the most important thing.

The website name shouldn't be a problem because you have it listed under both domain names. So for the "Abuse", consider it a new person that is going to be working with you. If I came there to work with you and you were going to give me an email address with holyrosaryca.org (ouch... something just poked me in the head), like MIke at holyrosaryca.org - whatever you would do to make that happen is what you have to do with Abuse. You just need to give Abuse and email address. If you already have somebody working there with the name Abuse, that would be wierd, but just create an email address for them.

I'll get the record to you in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK....was that your mother poking you in the head?? I understand. How do I add additional funds for this transaction??

If our web mgr adds Abuse as an email account, will that allow members to receive messages or do we still have to request that they add my email or holy rosary.org to their address book?

How long ago did your Mom die...how old? I just lost my mom in November-she was 93 and so ready to go. At her funeral, we played the Pennsylvania Polka as the casket left the church!

Expert:  replied 3 years ago.

Ok. Here is the last piece of information you need.

This will be added to your holyrosaryca.org DNS Zone. You DNS is what tells other servers how to find the servers in your domains, like your web server and email servers. This additional record that is not yet in your DNS, will add to the level of "trust" other email servers have when receiving email from you.

So if you have a web manager there, then all you should have to do is ask them to:

"Add this DNS record to our holyrosaryca.org domain"

holyrosaryca.org. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx include:holyrosaryantioch.org ~all"

That should be all you have to do. Despite all the details behind it and how I came up with it, getting it added is very straightforward. Whomever manages this for you will know what to do with it. If they have any questions, feel free to come back here and ask.

Experience: 20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt

I will answer your questions in order:

I think so. Is there any way to tell for sure?

For the transaction, when you click on Accept, that will release your original deposit amount for payment. At that time, there should be a button for "add bonus", just click on that and you can add it there. Now that you mention it, I've never been on your side of the transaction before, so I hope that's correct!

All of what we are doing should greatly decrease the likelihood that something you send will end up in a junk folder. The one for someone to insure that it doesn't, they can add them to their "safe senders list". In some cases, depending on the email system they are using, making them a contact may do this. As a sender you don't have direct control, but the receiver does. Also, if they see it in their junk folder the first time (and you should do this too), if you have the option to click on "not spam" or "mark as not junk", definitely do that. Each time someone does that to one of your emails, it increases your sender reputation.

There is always more you can do, but these are the basics. It so happens that I used to manage the data centers of an email service provider - we sent out about 50million emails each day, so there were many other things we had to do to keep our email flowing properly. You can get on the "white lists" of providers like AOL and Gmail which is like them putting you on everyone's approved senders list. I could do that for you with the various providers, but it's a lot of work, complex to maintain, and I really don't think you need it. I'm pretty confident that you haven't been sending out spam everywhere, so it may take a short time for your emails to avoid the spam folders.

I'm sorry if I'm unleashing some things that are too technical. This area can be extraordinarily complicated and difficult to navigate, but there is no reason you should have to go that far. I mean, when you're sending out 50 million emails each day, and 1% of them are mistakenly sent out to unsubscribed people, you have to have ways to deal with that and avoid the spam bucket.

So. Ignore all that. These two things, along with clicking "not spam" on your received emails will help a lot. And if the group of people being sent to is small enough that they can be informed just to add the sender as a "safe sender" or contact, then that completely solves it for those individuals.

My Mother Died on October 30th, 2007. She was 72 and died of cancer. She had a small lump removed a year earlier and went through some treatment. The severity always seemed small. At about 10PM on October 29th she wasn't feeling well and asked my Father to call 911. She was put on life support that night. I arrived there at about 6AM - my brother had called me just as I had my hand on the doorknob to leave for work. I answered the phone and said "what's wrong with Mom", he told me, and I said "how bad". He said "it's bad. We have to make a decision soon about life support". The shock left me literally unable to speak. I sat on the edge of my bed and kept thinking - "OK, I'll go now, but I have to get my coffee first". I know now that I sat there for an hour - my brother had called me at 5. It wasn't until he called again just before 6 to find out how much longer before I get there, that I left for the five minute drive. He called me again when I was in the hospital lobby. There was no receptionist in yet, so he had to tell me how to get to ICU. I went up. She was unconscious. I kept running my fingers through her hair and telling her how nicely it came back after her treatment... she had been so happy about getting her hair back because it was a little curly now. We went in the other room and quickly decided that the right thing to do was to remove the life support. I had worked in a hospital for several years, and my brother and father didn't think they could handle being in the room when she died, so I said I would because I didn't want her to be alone. It was nothing like I had imagined.... I thought it would be like her just falling asleep. It was really painful.

That's probably more of an answer than you thought you would get. I'll stop now. I'm pretty sure I've never told one person that much of the story. Wow... it seems like yesterday.

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. She must have been a hoot. People at that age are either entirely miserable, or more often, extremely cheerful and usually pretty fun to be around.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike - I'm very touched by your story and honored that you shared it with me. I've seen a number of people who's hair grows back curly after chemo/radiation. I'm sure your Mom understood that your Dad & brother couldn't be with her. Being present for a birth or death are the two times in our life that we can be closest to God. You're right - it's painful to watch, but I don't think the dying person is in pain. My (selfish) prayer was that I'd be there when my mom died. She had congestive heart failure & dementia (and maybe cancer..but never was tested for it) and was under Hospice Care for non-cancer patients. My husband prayed a Divine Mercy Chaplet before I got there and we prayed with/over her while waiting for the Hospice nurse to arrive. She did get an injection to relax her breathing. Just before her final breath, she scowled and took one deep breath - unlike any of the earlier labored breathing she'd done. When I told one of our priests, he referred me to the bible - God breathed life into Adam; and when we die, God takes our breath away. In her eulogy, I talked about that and said that as much as she wanted to join my Dad in heaven, it was hard to give that last breath back to God. If given a choice, I'd always choose to be with someone as they die.

In our brief exchange today, it's clear that your parents set a very good example for you & your brother...call it Catholic guilt if you want. I say the world could use more of it. I'm sorry you lost your Mom at such an early age, but you can 'talk' with her anytime and know that she won't be dealing with any chemo/trmts/pain. I'll remember you and your family in my prayers tonight. You have my email...so if you want to share any more of your Mom's story, I'm happy to listen. God Bless!

G

Thank you very much. What you say is interesting, becuse, although I have never written poetry before, I wrote something called "Breathe Easy Now, Mom" and left it at here grave for the holiday season that year. I don't know where it came from, but it was one of the things I did when I felt "I had to do something". It was about her last breath. I remember reader it to her after I cleaned the snow off her grave one night. I actually fell asleep there that night, in the snow sitting up against the snow.

Needless to say, my ass was numb for quite a while.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Any chance of getting a copy of your poem? Snow....you must be in mountain country or East Coast? I'm attending a Hospice annual event for familys on Sunday. They encourage us to bring some memento to share/tell a story. I'm taking a pillow with the sun & "you are my sunshine" embroidered on it.....several months before my mom died, she passed out on the toilet at the care home. We got her into bed, but she was unresponsive. My brother was coming to visit the next day from out of town, and all I could think of was that she had to live so they could visit one more time. So, for 45+ minutes I sang every song I could think of: nursery songs I sang to my son as a baby, Sesame Street, pop, rock, christmas, easter...when I got to the song "you are my sunshine"...I didn't know the 2nd verse and at that point, my mom started singing and became lucid enough to ask for a drink of water!! I was exhausted and she acted like nothing had happened (dementia). When she couldn't remember how old she was, I told her she was "older than dirt". She never learned how to knit, so I promised her I'd put needles & yarn in her casket....and I did - pink yarn to go with her dress, so she could finally knit me a sweater! OK...enough. You're probably tired of reading. Take care. What was your Mom's name? Mine is Rose Marie.

G

My Mom's name was Athlyn, but she hated it, so she always went by her middle name, Jean. I always told her that I liked her name and she should use it, and she would look at my like I was nuts.

I think you missed something with your Mom. You gave her the yarn to knit the sweater... but she's probably saying "hey, which one of us has dementia? Did you forget that I never learned how to knit?". Try telling her "knit one, pearl two", I think. I don't know what it means, but it has something to do with knitting. My Mother used to knit a lot, so I'll see what I can do.

What would you do if a pink sweater showed up in the mail one day?

I will send you the poem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well...you must be in touch with my mom....she told me to learn how to knit so I could teach her! Over the last 6 years, when she complained about being bored, I told her if she'd learned to knit (like a grandma should), that I would've had alot of sweaters by now. If a sweater showed up, I'd have to say to her "OK - you win".

Athlyn is unusual, but pretty, I think. I was going to be named Marilyn, but my dads family had to give up a foster child and her name was Gloria...so here I am. Tell your Mom to look up my Mom and they can knit together!!...then you'll get a sweater too Innocent

Have a good Friday. I'll watch for the poem.

G

That's what I was saying, my Mom loves to teach people, she would love it. One of by best friends I've ever had has that name. I've thought about being a foster parent, and I don't know how they do it. That's what has prevented me from doing it so far.

You two sound exactly like my best friend (it sounds like I have more of those then I really do) who lives with his 84 year old Mother. She always wants to do things, as long as Chip basically does them for her. LOL. When I'm over there I will laugh at them when they do things like that, she'll turn to me with a scoul on her face and say, "Michael, what the hell are you laughing at?". And if she's really mad, she puts her finger in my face and says something like (depending on the situation) "Michael, I will kill you if you get my son (50 yrs old!) in any trouble." And I'll chuckle and she'll turn back to me every time and say "And Michael, I'm not kiddin, I'll kill you". And then walk away.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good thing your Chip's mom is 84...if she was younger, she might "knock you into next week"! Must be Irish or Italian. I'm the youngest of 5 and my 3 brothers were always getting into trouble because they'd hang with their friends instead of doing their chores (we had plenty as we then lived in a rural area about an hour east of Pittsburgh PA). When my mom got angry because they were being lazy, she went after them with a broom (they say...I never witnessed it)...it's a family legend now!

Guess I'll have to wait til next week to get the poem, huh? Lucky for you, I won't be holding my breath...just looking forward to reading it. Happy weekend, Michael.

G

Actually, email addresses are blocked on here, so I went back and tried to figure it out. I know the domain. Is it just your first name before that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

gloria "at" holy rosary ca dot org (no spaces of course). Otherwise yes to your question.

G