Adam, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician for over 10 years.

My laptop will not startup. It keeps trying to repair itself

My laptop will not startup. It keeps trying to repair itself and that is not working.

Greetings, I have a good idea of what is going on and think I know how to fix it...

PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART, and click ACCEPT if the issue is solved!!

1- Restart the computer and immediately press F8 repeatedly (As soon as you hit the power button start with F8), You will see the Boot Menu.

2- Choose "Safe Mode WITH NETWORKING" and press ENTER

3- Wait for windows to be completely loaded

4- Go do a system restore to a time when it did work.

Hopefully you can get into safe mode, let me know..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is loading files then screen goes back to an error recovery page and gives the option of starting windows with repair or normal. If I choose with repair it tells me it cant be repaired. If I say normal then it acts like its gonna start but then shuts down and restarts then its back at the repair screen.

Sounds like you have crashed the Hard Disk Drive. You can pull it out and try to hook it up to another computer to pull your data. Or just put the Windows or recovery disc in the CD drive and hit F12 as soon as you boot the computer and select boot with the cd drive. Then when it comes up to the partition screen delete any old partition and make a fresh new one and format it with NTFS quick.Then it will run through windows installer and you can start fresh.

If you can't get the cd to start copying files to the disk we will know we have a disk failure.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I dont have a recovery disc that I know of.

Do you have the Windows Vista Disc?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The only disc I have with it is a windows anytime upgrade disc.

OK I am pretty sure thats the disc you want to put in the drive and boot from and run through the installation. Remember to hit F12 a million times as soon as you turn the power on. If that does not work hit del and go into the BIOS and you can change the boot order in there. If you do that completely remove the hard drive from the list.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay I reinstalled windows then it went through the setup and I put a password XXXXX Now its saying I have the wrong password.
Just hit the next button and skip that for now
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It wont let me past my sign on page

If you did a fresh (full) install not a upgrade there will be no users or passwords. You make a username and then assign a password XXXXX (if you want). You can always add passwords and change the computer name later.

It sounds like you did a upgrade and has a previous username on there with a password. Unless you mean sign on page as something different.

I will take a picture of a sign in page in Vista (what i think you mean)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I made a new user and a new password. The password XXXXX work though.

Go through the install again by booting to the cd drive. Make sure you do a clean install and make a username but no password. If you need one make it later..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay so I can run my laptop now. Is all my stuff that was on the computer gone for good?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Also the stuff on my computer screen like words and pictures are all really big. How do I change that.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Now after it was restarted the size came back down.

Yea that's normal when you do a fresh install it only has windows default drivers to start. The nice thing about VIsta and 7 is that it will find the drivers for you. Then it will do the reboot and will be normal again. In Windows XP and before you would need to find each driver (pain in the butt).

Now you will need to re-install all the applications you want to use, but at least now you have working computer.

If you need any more help setting up your computer please let me know.

Also run all windows updates and go to and download/install that for you free anti-virus (use the free trial period of the full version first)

If you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button, if not please respond! Thank You!