Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.
15852642

I am having a problem with Windows Live Mail that I am struggling

Customer Question

I am having a problem with Windows Live Mail that I am struggling to get resolved. I am unable to REPLY or FORWARD messages from my Windows Live Mail client (error message to follow) I spoke extensively with my ISP, who proved to me that the error is not theirs: I was able to reply and forward the same messages when I logged into my email from "webmail" (i.e. over the internet instead of through Windows Live Mail). I also confirmed with Norton that the issue was not theirs (we turned off Norton 360 and the problem was still there.

Here is the error I get:

An unknown error has occurred.

Subject 'Re: Morning!'
Server Error: 550
Server Response: 550 5.7.1 p24Gk0Dr029262 This message does not comply with required standards.
Server: '69.156.240.33'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC69
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 1025
Secure(SSL): No
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
What version of norton are you using?
Are you using any 3rd party firewalls like zone alarm?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

I'm using Norton360. To my knowledge, I'm not using any 3rd party firewalls. You're welcome to set up one of those remote sessions where you can get right on my desktop to take a look around, if that would help!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately we are not currently able to do remote support. I would prefer not even if we could anyway, I believe it is better to explain what causes the problem and how to fix it is better as you will know what to do the next time it happens Laughing. This error is normally caused by an email scanner within a firewall or antivirus. Norton, McAfee, and AVG very commonly cause this error to come up. Please try this and let me know the results.

First close all open windows live mail windows and make sure the program is completely closed.
Then open Norton 360.
Then select virus and spyware protection.
Make sure the email scanning checkboxes are unchecked.
Then click back and close.

If you have a newer version of Norton 360 you will need to do it one of these two ways.

First
  1. Open Norton 360.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Click Antivirus.
  4. Click the Scans and Risks tab.
  5. Click off next to Email Scanner.
  6. If prompted for a duration, choose Permanently.
  7. Click Apply.
  8. Click Close.
Second
  1. Open Norton 360.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Under Detailed Settings, click Administrative Settings.
  4. Under Product Security, next to Product State Monitoring, click Configure.
  5. Under Antivirus, uncheck Incoming Email Scan and Outgoing Email Scan.
  6. Click Apply.
  7. Click Ok.
  8. Click Close.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

I did speak to Norton yesterday and I believe the steps you're describing we already tried. I will try them again, using the steps you provided. I'm only too happy to "accept answer" once I'm confident the issue is fixed - let me try it now and I'll let you know!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
That is no problem at all take all the time you need and let me know the results so we can continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

I followed the steps, and that did not fix the problem. I get the same error message. I made sure that Windows Live Mail was closed, I followed all steps (which were very well laid out) exactly. Next idea? I figured it might be related to some update that Microsoft sent, as the problem only started about 2-3 days ago. For months I've used my email with no issue. I should also note that if I log into my mail through "webmail" (i.e. through a browser), I can forward and reply to emails with no issue.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Ok is this only happening with forwarding and replying? If you send a composed email does it do the same thing? Also do you know if there were any windows updates that installed before this started?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, had to step away from my desk. This is only for forwards and replies. I can compose a new email message and it goes through no problem. I'm double check that now. As for windows updates, I'm not 100% sure, as I typically accept windows updates without a lot of thought - it is quite possible. Before contacting you, I actually looked for updates (to the best of my limited technical knowledge) and uninstalled a couple of fairly recent ones just in case. That didn't seem to fix it.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Ok this can happen if a windows updated gets corrupted while it installs. Please make sure you have this page bookmarked or favorite so that you can get back to me. Then click on start and type restore into the search box. When it comes up click on system restore. Then choose restore to an earlier date. Choose a date at least a day or more before yesterday. This will not change any of your personal files like word documents it only reverts changes that were made to windows.

(Even if you are a subscription or trial member you must click "Accept" for me to be paid.)

If my answer did not work please let me know instead of giving negative feedback.

A Bonus and Positive Feed Back are appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you confirm that if I do the system restore, that I will not lose other information on my computer that I've updated over the last few days (for example emails received, word or excel files, etc)?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Yes personal items will not be changed system restore only reverts windows changes. System restore is also fully reversible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I bookmarked it. I take it I need to shut things down to do the system restore, which I'm fine to do. I'll come back on afterwards and try again.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
No problem take all the time you need.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

I'm having problems with the system restore. I got an error message indicating:

"System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details:

An unspecified error occured during System Restore (0xc0000022).

It gave me me the option to do the system restore again. When I selected this option, it offered "undo system restore", or the option "Choose another restore point". I decided to do the "undo system restore". I tried that a couple of times, and each time I ended up with the same error listed above (system restore did not complete successfully). Shall I do this again, and this time select "choose another restore point"?

Just for fun I checked Windows Live Mail to see if the error was still there: it is.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
I apologize I forgot to mention you need to temporarily disable norton or it will stop the system restore from making any changes. Temporarily disable norton and then run the restore.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do I temporarily disable Norton?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Open norton 360 and you will see the Firewall enabled and Auto Protect enabled menu options checked. Uncheck both of those to disable it. Make sure after you do the system restore you re-enable them.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Customer

Same problem: the system restore didn't work (I got the same error for the restore as I wrote about above, i.e.system restore didn't complete successfully. Can you please confirm:

1) That in Norton, I should go to Settings, then select Firewalls, then next to "Smart Firewall" click so that it turns off.

2) In Norton, go to Settings, then Antivirus, then next to "Auto Protect" click to turn it off.

3) When I run the system restore, I have the choice of "Undo System REstore" or "choose a different restore point". Which do I pick?? I'm not even sure why it has the option of Undo system restore, given that as far as I know, the system restore didn't work in the first place. This last time I again picked "undo system restore".

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Choose a different date using a different restore point if you used the same one both times if you used a different date each time let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, will do - give me a few minutes.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Take all the time you need
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

GUess what? Same problem. I tried to pick a new point for recovery, I picked the same date as before (March 2) which included some "critical updates" that I'm guessing may have caused my problem in the first place. I cannot get the system restore to properly execute. Note that the error message goes on to say:

"You can try System Restore again and choose a different restore point. If you continue to see this error, you can try an advanced recovery method. For more information, see What is Recovery?

What do I do?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Please test your email with norton disabled the way you have it and let me know the results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just did, and I made sure the settings in Norton were off the way I explained to you above. I still have the error in Windows Live Mail. I think the idea of system restore is a good idea, I just don't know how to make it work. I'm not sure if it got messed up because I first ran it with Norton? Please help.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
It looks like your restore points may have gotten corrupted so I though we may want to try a couple other things before attempting that again. Windows live mail may not be correctly recognizing your reply address. Look in Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties, General for the e-mail and Reply addresses. Make sure the correct address is shown there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I checked it, the values for "email" and "reply to" are correct: XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Please only give me the part of your email addess after the @ symbol. As if you give me the whole thing it will be X'd out and I will not be able to see it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

precisionlasertr.com

I hope you can see that

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Yes I can thank you. What domain service are you using for that email account?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe my email addresses are provided by my web hosting service (Bell Canada). I also use Bell internet.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Ok thank you. You may have the authentication and ports set incorrectly causing this.
Go to Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties, Servers, Outgoing Mail Server, and make sure My Server Requires Authentication is checked.
For outgoing mail server choose the check box that says use the same settings.
Select the Advanced tab.
Click the This server requires a secure connection (SSL) check box.
Select the Incoming mail (POP3) text box and delete the number 110.
Enter the number 995.
Set the Server Timeouts slider bar to 5 minutes.
Click the OK button.
For the outgoing port make sure you are using port 587.

Just in case this is what the servers should be set to.

• The outgoing (SMTP) mail server name: smtphm.sympatico.ca
  • The incoming (POP) mail server name: pophm.sympatico.ca

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Most of those values were different. I had spoken to Bell about the values yesterday and on Wed, they confirmed the values I had were correct. I went ahead and changed the values to what you suggested. Now I'm being prompted for a username/password XXXXX the smtphm.sympatico.ca server. I don't have the password.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
You can reset your password XXXXX: Click Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that link took me to bell.ca. Where to from there?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Thats strange it should have brought you right to the reset page.
On the top right click on log in.
Then under password XXXXX on forgot password.
Follow the steps it gives you to reset your password.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To my knowledge I've never signed onto bell.ca. They didn't have record of me, so now I'm having to do a live Chat with a Bell representative to allow me to login to Bell.ca

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Ok you may need to call them then as they should have given you that information. Also the servers I gave you were for bell.ca you may need to see if you are on a different domain such as godaddy for your email.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, I'm finally loggd into bell.ca. So what do I do once I'm there?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Do you have the password XXXXX? If you do just add then when asked in windows mail.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is just getting brutal. I finally got logged into Bell.ca, but the login is for my wireless account - totally separate from my business account. I've never logged into bell.ca. Customer are you 100% sure that I need to go through this time consuming process to get a password XXXXX a server that Bell never told me to use?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
If your email address is through bell.ca then yes as you should be using those servers. Here is the official page on bell.ca explaining which servers to use for there email accounts: http://internet.bell.ca/index.cfm?method=content.view&category_id=585&content_id=17744 As you can see both the servers I gave you are there. Though I gave you port 587 rather than 25 as 587 normally works better but you can try both.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you just call me on the phone? This has taken up both of our full day. My number at work is XXX-XXX-XXXX. I will certainly accept answer once it's resolved. Furthermore, here is a transcript from my chat with Bell: seems for business accounts, there is no login I can use to get a login for a server:

Liza: Our records indicate that your line is classified as a multi-line (business account).

Liza: Unfortunately, our residential e-bill service is incompatible with multi-line accounts. While it may work on occasion, it is not guaranteed to work and therefore is not supported by our technical department.

Liza: Please visit our website at the following link to sign up for the Online Bill Manager service available for business accounts:

Liza: www.bell.ca/onlinebillmanager

Liza: For more information on how to register, you may call 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX or send an e-mail to:

Liza:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Liza: Are you comfortable with the instructions I have sent you?

You: Is that simply to manage bills, or is it to manage things like my email server?

Liza: To manag bills.

You: ok then that won't help me. THanks anyways.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately we are not able to provide phone support either. We can only provide support through this site. From what you just said the servers I gave you should work as your email is part of your bell.ca business account. Unfortunately I am out of ideas so I will need to opt out in case anyone else can think of something.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my challenge is that you gave me a new server but I don't have a pasword for that server, and I don't know how to get it.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
The password XXXXX be the password XXXXX used to log into your bell.ca account.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but I never had a bell.ca account for my business, and they informed me I can't have a bell.ca account for my business. where does that leave me?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Ok then where is your business email from? As you said earlier that you got it from bell. Without knowing what domain it comes from there is not much I can do to help you further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is a web hosting account. I'm on the phone with Bell right now, they are saying your settings are not web hosting settings, they are sympatico settings.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Ok that make sense but I would need to know the domain hosting it to give you the correct settings. The settings I gave you as I mentioned are bell.ca settings shown on there site most likely only for personal accounts then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Customer I know it's Sunday, but I have a bit of time to resume fixing this problem. Are you there to assist? I can update you a bit: I spoke with Bell for one hour on Friday, and I'm confident that my mail settings are all correct (back to what they were).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
My expert (Dimmusacio) worked on this issue Friday, but it was not resolved before the end of the day. It's now Sunday, and I have time now to work on it again.Customeris not available, as such I'll need to get someone who is available.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Customer are you there? Nobody assisted yesterday, so I'd like to pick up where we left off. Are you free to assist? If not, please let me know.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Yes I am and i have one more idea. Try using these settings. Enter the incoming mail server name (in the form of mail.precisionlasertr.com) in the "Incoming mail (POP3 or IMAP) server" text box. Port: 99 Check the Requires a secure connection (SSL) box

Enter the outgoing mail server name (in the form of mail.precisionlasertr.com) in the "Outgoing mail (SMTP) server" text box. Port: 25 Check the Requires a secure connection (SSL) box Check the Requires authentication box
Select POP3 from the "my incoming mail server is a" drop-down menu.

Unfortunately after that I am unsure so I will need to stay opted out and open this to all experts. If I think of anything else I will reply just like I did before.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Sorry was on the phone for awhile there. I spoke with Bell late Friday and we changed all sorts of settings on the email just in case they made a difference. Nothing worked. We decided it simply must be that something is corrupt - I'm guessing some (Windows?) update I accepted on my computer messed it up.

I will try the solution you've suggested now - I'll update you with what happens. In the meantime, I thought you may have been onto something when you suggested doing a system restore. Is that something you'd still recommend if the steps above don't work?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Oh yes if those settings do not work please try doing a restore again. Make sure to tempoarily disable your antivirus before running system restore. Try a date about a month earlier than the one you tried last that was giving you an error.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I checked the email settings you provided a few minutes back, they did not solve the problem. Now I'll try the system restore. Can you confirm that I should select: "choose a different restore point"? When I do, it brings me to a screen that allows me to pick from 4 different points, three of which are March 3, one of which is March 4. It would appear those times are linked to the past system restores I attempted on Friday. PLease advise.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Yes choose a different restore point and choose a date before the problem started. Make sure your antivirus and firewall are disabled before doing it however.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, I did a successful system restore to Feb 14, long before I had this problem. My computer restarted, I tried again, same error message. Any final suggestions? I'm sorry my problem is so tenacious!!!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately right now I am out of ideas I have left this open to all experts however. If I or any other experts have an idea we will post here the same way as I have done before.