Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

I have lost the sound from my W1700 monitor. Checking device

I have lost the sound from my W1700 monitor. Checking device reports no problem but there is - it may be me!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm Bernie and I'll be the technician helping you today. Sorry to hear you're having this issue.

What version of Microsoft Windows you are using?

Windows XP has a green rectangle that says Start in the lower left corner of the screen.

If the button is round, click it, then right click computer and select properties. It will tell you if you have Windows Vista or 7 there. Please tell me.

I'll stand by for your reply.

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Windows 7
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Thanks - just to make sure it's not a software issue, lets take these steps first:

1. Click the Windows Logo button
2. Type troubleshooting in the search bar and press Enter
3. This will bring up the Troubleshooting Center
4. If you see a message that says Do you want the most up to content available for troubleshooting press the yes button
5. Click the View all link on the left task pane
6. Select playing audio and follow the prompts for it to try to detect and repair the problem.

For some reason if it doesn't fix it please let me know what the troubleshooter said by posting back to this page and we'll continue trying other things.
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Troubleshoot says "couldn't identify the problem"
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
I see - please check here for me:

1. Click the Windows Logo button (Bottom left of screen)
2. Type devmgmt.msc in the search box and press Enter

Can you tell me if you see any gray circles (with downward pointing arrows in them) or yellow exclamation points in Device Manager, especially under the Sound, Video, and Game controllers category?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. The sound section (speaker) is split into two speakers

Intel(R) High Definition Audio HDMI

Realtek High Definition Audio

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
I see, that looks normal there - we might have to revisit this device manager later to uninstall/reinstall the sound drivers, but for now, do you possibly have headphones you could plug into your computer to see if you can hear sound? (This would help to see if it's a problem with the speakers on the monitor or with the computer)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have already tried that - to no avail
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Oh I see, nothing in the headphones as well.

Ok lets try this:

2. Type devmgmt.msc in the search box and then press enter on the keyboard
3. Under the Sound, Video, and Game Controllers section, Right-click on Intel(R) High Definition Audio HDMI and select uninstall. Next, right click on Realtek High Definition Audio and select uninstall. Close the Device Manager and Reboot your computer
5. After the computer reboots, allow it to automatically find the audio device on its own and reinstall the drivers. You may be required to reboot the computer a second time after the drivers for the sound card load.

Please let me know if that brings the sound back - just post back here.

You can come back here anytime to continue when you are ready - go to www.justanswer.com, and then click my questions (upper right) to get here again.

Thanks,
Bernie
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I have to write your replies to follow them through. May be some time.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
No worries - just post back to this page when you get a chance and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Thank you,
Bernie
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Followed it through as instructed - saw the process of reinstalling - but no change
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Thanks - we've ruled out that it might have been a software issue...this points now to the monitor's speakers, or the cables connecting it.

Could you re-check all the physical connections that run from the monitor to the computer, make sure nothing has come loose (please let me know if you've already done that)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was one of the first things but I have just been through it again (crawling about) but all seems secure. From the monitor three cables (apart from arial) Power connection; thick cable connection to PC and light cable to green socket in PC.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Oh ok, good - now with the headphones, are you plugging them into the monitor or the computer itself?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The monitor
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Lets try to bypass the monitor, and plug the headphones directly into the headphone jack on the back of the computer (this is plugging it right into your sound card). And try to play a video or sound on the computer and see if you get sound when plugged directly into that jack.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Very good! That works.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Ok, so your computer is fine, this means it is the monitor - perhaps the audio source is not setup correctly inside the menu on the monitor.

Can you check and see if the volume on the monitor is muted?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is good graphics for the speakers. I have just checked with a CD and I can see the speakers working but - no sound (and I did unplug the earphones

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for checking that, and the monitor is plugged into the line out, is that correct:

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes - the pale green socket
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Great - now click the menu key on the front of the Monitor to bring up the on screen menu - (Second button to the left of the power button) and then go to the audio menu, can you tell me what options you have in there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Eureka! I puzzled at the options on the menu button and went to the extreme left - adjoining the channel + & -. Immediate sound from a tv programme. How and why I used this I don't know because I have always used the remote on the rare occasions I have used the TV facility.

However, all is well and many thanks Bernie. I will log my satisfaction.

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Oh good, thanks for your patience in all of that, I'm happy it was fixed. Please leave positive feedback for me if you get the chance.

Have a great weekend!
Bernie, Computer Specialist