Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

My windows mail has been receiving multiple copies of all emails

Customer Question

My windows mail has been receiving multiple copies of all emails received over the past 4 days. I have been in touch with Telstra bigpond who have had me successfully send test messages to myself to ensure their systems are working properly and have advised that the problem probably lies with my windows mail programme
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I'm Bernie and I'll be the technician helping you today. Sorry to hear you're having this issue.

Which version of Window Live Mail you are using?

(it will tell you if you close the mail program and re-open it)

1. Windows Mail
2. Windows Live Mail
3. Windows Live Mail 2009
4. Windows Live Mail 2011

I'll stand by for your reply.

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Windows Mail
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Windows Live is a very old email client that can become corrupted very easily, I would suggest updating it to the newest version called Windows Live Mail. It is free and will load your new mail into the program. The duplicates should then stop.

Click on the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=56883de5-2024-4631-806e-757693072a1c

1. Click the blue download button
2. You'll want to save the file to your computer
3. It will be downloaded to where your usual downloads go (please tell me if you need help finding it).
4. Double click the setup file and start setup
5. On the second screen it will give you the option to install other programs that come with Windows Live mail. You can choose to install them or clear the check next to their boxes to exclude them from the installation.
6. Follow the rest of the prompts to finish setup
7. When Windows Live Mail opens, it will ask you to fill out some information to setup your email account. Go ahead and enter your name, full email address for the username, and your password. Then follow the prompts to finish setting up your email account within Windows Live Mail (Don't check the box for manual setup, but rather let it find and configure your account automatically).

Once that is done, it should work correctly with your email account, pulling emails from the server, and allowing you to send/recieve emails. Please let me know if you still get the duplicate messages after today by posting back to this page.

Thanks,
Bernie
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what happens to all the mail currently held my windows mail account?
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
It will be reloaded into Windows Live Mail
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bernie, the problem has apparently now been solved by Telstra, without changing to Windows Live Mail. It should have been resolved by them in the first place. I would like to wait until tomorrow, when I expect to receive my regular emails, before I accept that the problem has indeed been resolved, and that I do not need to change to "Live mail". Are you happy with that?
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

No need to press accept - as it was resolved by Telstra, but I appreciate it. However, I highly suggest moving to Windows Live Mail, as it is faster/less buggy than Windows Mail.

Please don't hesitate to ask me any further questions here if you need to.

Thanks,
Bernie